HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   watters is a fool (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=44542)

panayiotis 01-17-2004 06:54 AM

watters is a fool

Bill Watters is the biggest media fool in TO. Last night on Sportsnet he was all over Primeau for not fighting Roberts. Dude has a broken thumb. Plus his hand is wrapped. I saw Watters play. He skated away plenty of times. Got pounded when he stayed. I am not a Primeau fan. Watter's and Sportnet are a joke!

Sammy* 01-17-2004 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panayiotis
Bill Watters is the biggest media fool in TO. Last night on Sportsnet he was all over Primeau for not fighting Roberts. Dude has a broken thumb. Plus his hand is wrapped. I saw Watters play. He skated away plenty of times. Got pounded when he stayed. I am not a Primeau fan. Watter's and Sportnet are a joke!

I dont think Bill Watters ever played. I think you must be thinking about Tim watters.

Mess 01-17-2004 07:26 AM

Quote:

This is the only Bill Waters to ever play in the NHL

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...id%5B%5D=27784

But look at the stats.... He actually got 4 mins in Peanalties yet never played a game..

Yes Im Peter Ing 01-17-2004 07:54 AM

That's how rough he was...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
This is the only Bill Waters to ever play in the NHL

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...id%5B%5D=27784

But look at the stats.... He actually got 4 mins in Peanalties yet never played a game..

Leaf Lander 01-17-2004 09:06 AM

wasnt wattters a sports agent former tsn sportspage pannel members with paul beston and jack donahue hoseted by john wells. I also thoguht he had something to do with football.

Stephen 01-17-2004 09:16 AM

I thought he used to play for Hamilton or Ottawa in the CFL?

Savage 01-17-2004 09:46 AM

Watters never played any professional sports and his first job that was involved in the business was being a agent.

As was pointing out, Roberts should not be fighting under any circumstances with his shoulders and if Primeau was in such bad shape then slashing, holding, triping and running Sundin every chance he got was just a stupid idea because you do that to any other star in the league you better be prepared to fight no matter who you are. It'll be nice when we get Belak back even if he does suck because Domi's become a rusher in his own mind and doesn't stand up for his teammates on most occasions now.

paxtang 01-17-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage
Watters never played any professional sports and his first job that was involved in the business was being a agent.

As was pointing out, Roberts should not be fighting under any circumstances with his shoulders and if Primeau was in such bad shape then slashing, holding, triping and running Sundin every chance he got was just a stupid idea because you do that to any other star in the league you better be prepared to fight no matter who you are. It'll be nice when we get Belak back even if he does suck because Domi's become a rusher in his own mind and doesn't stand up for his teammates on most occasions now.

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with the way Primeau played against Sundin, that is just stupid. The only questionable hit, and that's what it was questionable not dirty, was against Roberts. Roberts had a right to be mad, but fighting with a broken thumb is stupid. Plenty of players play with injuries but are unable to fight, you simply fight them later in the year if it was such a big deal.

Savage 01-17-2004 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxtang
I don't see how anyone could have a problem with the way Primeau played against Sundin, that is just stupid. The only questionable hit, and that's what it was questionable not dirty, was against Roberts. Roberts had a right to be mad, but fighting with a broken thumb is stupid. Plenty of players play with injuries but are unable to fight, you simply fight them later in the year if it was such a big deal.

Where in my post did I say I had a problem with the way Primeau played against Sundin? If NHL coaches were smart they would have there best defensive center play that way against Sundin all the time because when they do Sundin doesn't even show up to the games. I also didn't say he hit Sundin dirty, so once again you're trying to put words into my mouth.

Also, the only chances Roberts will get to fight him later in the year if I'm recalling correctly is tomorrow and call me crazy but a day is certainly not going to heal Primeau's injury or injuries (Nose).

It's not a matter of playing dirty it's a matter of major obstruction which Sundin has a real trouble handling despite his size. Yes I know Primeau is a big guy but so is Sundin so no one can use that as a excuse.

nordique 01-17-2004 10:41 AM

Watters sounds like a moron every time he speaks. It's as if he's desperately seeking recognition as a front-office genius for his "work" with the Leafs.

paxtang 01-17-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

if Primeau was in such bad shape then slashing, holding, triping and running Sundin every chance he got was just a stupid idea because you do that to any other star in the league you better be prepared to fight no matter who you are. It'll be nice when we get Belak back even if he does suck because Domi's become a rusher in his own mind and doesn't stand up for his teammates on most occasions now.

This is where it came off like you had a problem with the way he played.

Also, I never said you said he hit Sundin dirty.

And they also play again in March, so you are incorrect about that as well.

panayiotis 01-17-2004 12:03 PM

Sorry about

I mixed up Watters. Anyways lets hope for good game tonight! Later leaf nation.

Savage 01-17-2004 12:05 PM

Quote:

This is where it came off like you had a problem with the way he played.

Also, I never said you said he hit Sundin dirty.

And they also play again in March, so you are incorrect about that as well.

You clearly implied that I was saying he hit Sundin dirty when you said that the only questionable hit was on Roberts.

Anyway, it's common sense. If you're shadowing a star like Sundin all night and holding him up during the play and doing everything you can to get under his skin you've got to be prepared to throw them because the enforcers job is simple in the fact "Protect the star" and in last nights case Domi turned away as he does he has done a lot for the past two season but Roberts said it was enough and went after him and he didn't stand up when the time came. It's the "code" of the NHL as so many players like to put it.

If they do infact play further into the season we'll see if he decides to stand up then which I find doubtful but I'm clearly wrong about this being the last game if they do infact play.

Stephen 01-17-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Wait a minute, weren't most of the people on Sportsnet as well as the Leafs commentator talking about how ridiculous Roberts was being? How does one Bill Watters make Toronto a joke all of a sudden. And get your facts straight, Bill Watters only played college football. He's never played professional hockey. If you want to talk about embarassment, let's start with Jeremy Roenick. A 34 year old man shouldn't be whining about his coach and a high stick like a pissy 14 year old girl.

paxtang 01-17-2004 12:31 PM

Quote:

You clearly implied that I was saying he hit Sundin dirty when you said that the only questionable hit was on Roberts.

Anyway, it's common sense. If you're shadowing a star like Sundin all night and holding him up during the play and doing everything you can to get under his skin you've got to be prepared to throw them because the enforcers job is simple in the fact "Protect the star" and in last nights case Domi turned away as he does he has done a lot for the past two season but Roberts said it was enough and went after him and he didn't stand up when the time came. It's the "code" of the NHL as so many players like to put it.

If they do infact play further into the season we'll see if he decides to stand up then which I find doubtful but I'm clearly wrong about this being the last game if they do infact play.

I didn't feel I was implying anything about him hitting Sundin, but if i did I apoligize.

But again you refer to Domi having to protect the star. To me, this insinuates that he did something of harm to Sundin, instead of just play good defense. I know people use to beat people up for smothering the star players, but with the instigator that hasn't happened in years, so the only scenario I can see where Domi would feel obligated to "protect the star" is if Primeau cheapshotted Sundin. This is why I felt you were implying Primeau played a dirty game.

Roberts went after Primeau because of the hit he put on him, not beacuse of any defense he played against Sundin. It is also part of the "code" between players and particularly fighters that you don't fight someone with a broken thumb and tape on their hands. Ask any enforcer about it. Unless you take a real cheap shot at someone, and retribution is needed. I can see why Roberts was pissed, but it obviously wasn't bad enough for him to want to jump Primeau, just to challange him. Primeau didn't back away in fear which it really seems like you are implying to me, he simply cannot fight right now. It is obvious you have not watch very much of Keith Primeau, since he has MORE fighting majors against arguably better competition than superman Gary Roberts (who I infact like).

Savage 01-17-2004 12:45 PM

Paxtang, it was quite appearent that the Leafs were not going to win the game at that point in time and Domi easily could've sent a message for next game by going after Prims.

Also Primeau's fight card is hardly anything great.

This year: Lance Ward, Rhett Warrener and Murray Baron
Last year: Steve Staios, Chris Simon and Ed Jovanovski

If those are something to behold then the Leafs fighters are the "Gods" of enforcers :lol:

wasting time 01-17-2004 01:17 PM

Bill Watters played for the University of Toronto Varsity Blues; that's about it.

paxtang 01-17-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Paxtang, it was quite appearent that the Leafs were not going to win the game at that point in time and Domi easily could've sent a message for next game by going after Prims.

Also Primeau's fight card is hardly anything great.

This year: Lance Ward, Rhett Warrener and Murray Baron
Last year: Steve Staios, Chris Simon and Ed Jovanovski

If those are something to behold then the Leafs fighters are the "Gods" of enforcers :lol:

Well it is becoming more and more apparent this is simply a case of a homer who doesn't know what he is talking about. You looked at 2 years of a players fight card, which by the way is more impressive than Roberts' Guerin, Lappy, and Wilm fight card (althought he was injured last year).

Again, as I've said Primeau has more fights than Roberts in his career. He has fought Jim Kyte, Luke Richardson, Kelly Chase 3x, Bryan Marchment, Jeff Odgers, Shane Churla, Rob Ray, Enrico Ciccone, Stephane Quintal 2x, Darian Hatcher, Kelly Buchberger 2x, Jim Cummins, Todd Simpson 2x, Basil McRae, Matthew Barnaby 2x, Mike Peluso 2x, Sandy McCarthy, Kris King, Ken Belanger, Dale Purington, Randy McKay, Peter Worrell, Brad Brown, Jason Weimer, and many others. For a nonfighter and a player who is relyed upon mainly for scoring (before this year), that is a fantastic fight card, and comparable to any nonenforcer in the league. He even fought Bob Probert in practice when he was in Detroit. Ask anyone who knows anything about hockey fights and the will tell you that Keith Primeau is a very effective fighter who has fought his fare share of enforcers, even though he doesn't have to.

Savage 01-17-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Well it is becoming more and more apparent this is simply a case of a homer who doesn't know what he is talking about. You looked at 2 years of a players fight card, which by the way is more impressive than Roberts' Guerin, Lappy, and Wilm fight card (althought he was injured last year).

Again, as I've said Primeau has more fights than Roberts in his career. He has fought Jim Kyte, Luke Richardson, Kelly Chase 3x, Bryan Marchment, Jeff Odgers, Shane Churla, Rob Ray, Enrico Ciccone, Stephane Quintal 2x, Darian Hatcher, Kelly Buchberger 2x, Jim Cummins, Todd Simpson 2x, Basil McRae, Matthew Barnaby 2x, Mike Peluso 2x, Sandy McCarthy, Kris King, Ken Belanger, Dale Purington, Randy McKay, Peter Worrell, Brad Brown, Jason Weimer, and many others. For a nonfighter and a player who is relyed upon mainly for scoring (before this year), that is a fantastic fight card, and comparable to any nonenforcer in the league. He even fought Bob Probert in practice when he was in Detroit. Ask anyone who knows anything about hockey fights and the will tell you that Keith Primeau is a very effective fighter who has fought his fare share of enforcers, even though he doesn't have to.

You know what they say about people that resort to insults when debating the issues....

Gary Roberts 21 career fights (Note Roberts had more fights in a single season)

Keith Primeau 28 career fights

You so claim that's good for Keith Primeau because he's not a fighter and it's true just but Gary Roberts is not a fighter and is even known for less of this then Primeau and that gives Primeau all the more incentive to drop them. There's also the fact you're saying that Primeau's been injured well guess what, Roberts has been injured for near his entire his career wether it be his neck, his shoulders or his spinal cord take your pick.

I'm done responding because you're clearly just going to try to resort to more insults so I'll leave it with this Roberts showed Primeau did not and both of them have injuries that they should not be fighting with so how exactly is Roberts the bad guy... (Retorical question.)

paxtang 01-17-2004 01:52 PM

Quote:

You know what they say about people that resort to insults when debating the issues....

Gary Roberts 21 career fights (Note Roberts had more fights in a single season)

Keith Primeau 28 career fights

You so claim that's good for Keith Primeau because he's not a fighter and it's true just but Gary Roberts is not a fighter and is even known for less of this then Primeau and that gives Primeau all the more incentive to drop them. There's also the fact you're saying that Primeau's been injured well guess what, Roberts has been injured for near his entire his career wether it be his neck, his shoulders or his spinal cord take your pick.

I'm done responding because you're clearly just going to try to resort to more insults so I'll leave it with this Roberts showed Primeau did not and both of them have injuries that they should not be fighting with so how exactly is Roberts the bad guy... (Retorical question.)

Where did I say Roberts was the bad guy? I have no problem with what Roberts did, but everyone knew Primeau couldn't fight that day, so he should have just let it go.

I don't care about any past injuries Roberts has, a hand injury basically causes a person to be completly unable to fight. Bring into the fact that having tape on your hand causes you to get EJECTED from the game, it was amazingly obvious even before the game that Primeau was not going to fight to any objective person.

I don't know where you are getting your facts about those career fighting major numbers, I assume www.hockeyfights.com. Unfortunately for you, that database only goes back to the 97-98 season, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you both players have been around for much longer than that. Keith Primeau has 80 career fighting majors in the regular season. You really should research stuff better.

You again try to imply that Primeau did not fight Roberts because he was scared of him, when any objective person can see this is not the case. You tried to make the case that Primeau is scared of this super power you have created of Gary Roberts, and I simply showed you that Keith Primeau has fought many people better at fist a cuffs than Roberts.

And while I shouldn't have resorted to calling you a homer, I think anyone can see whether or not it was true from your posts.