HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Cutting a stick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=446777)

Sensfanman 11-25-2007 11:28 PM

Cutting a stick

Ok, so I just got a new RBK Crosby stick with snake grip (great buy too, thanks National Sports). However it's far too long, a good 3 inches at least. I haven't had to cut a stick in a while and even then they weren't quality sticks like this. I don't want to mess up and make it too short. So, what are some tips to cut it clean, where to measure (forehead, nose, etc) and without compromising the stick. I know it'll get stiffer as I cut so I have to watch that too. Keep in mind I am about 5 foot 8 and a bit, and am pretty much done growing (I hope not, but I am realistic here lol). So yeah tips? Advice? Etc?

Thanks

lotus 11-25-2007 11:41 PM

there's a formula around about how much an inch adds in flex. All I can say is that I cut ~2.5 inches off of my CCM Vector 85 flex, and it is impossible for me to shoot right now...and my 110 flex uncut easton synergy is a whip compared to it.

Gino 14 11-26-2007 10:31 AM

Cut it the same length as the stick you're using now. If you have no idea how long to cut it, start long and trim it after you use it a few times.

newfish 11-26-2007 02:26 PM

Without skates on, measure up to (tip)nose and cut.

Nosebleed Section 11-26-2007 05:08 PM

Yeah measure it up with your old stick to get the right height but as for keeping the whip your S.O.L.

MikeD 11-26-2007 08:50 PM

Be sure to use a good hacksaw blade for metal. Run cold water over the blade/cut as you go. You can further reduce the heat and pressure of your cut by putting the blade in the Japanese way. Teeth pointed back at you so the cut is on your pull, not on the push.

Joe Cole 11-27-2007 10:57 AM

I have always wondered how much stiffer my 100 flex is because I cut my stick a bit shorter then the standard "under the chin with your skates on" length.

lotus 11-27-2007 04:13 PM

Cutting seems to affect some sticks more than others. The vector I have, I kid you not, takes all my weight sitting on it to flex. The thing has gone from an 85 to probably a 140-150. An Easton however, I can usually remove a little from and not lose much flex.

Ulic 11-27-2007 04:21 PM

I would try playing with it a little before cutting it. I've grown comfortable with longer sticks by just playing with them when I would have usually cut them. I'd really say the main thing to take into consideration is the lie of the stick when its uncut. If the blade doesn't lay flat while your in skates and are holding the stick at your normal puck-handling distance and height, cut it now.

As they said, people generally like the length up to their nose without skates. Play with it long though and it might help you see what you really feels best. Heck, it could turn out that you want a Turgeon length stick.

Sensfanman 11-27-2007 06:13 PM

I've done some standard puck handling moves with the un cut stick and I think I've adapted well, it's just really hard to get a good shot off (due to leverage, my lower hand ends up really high) and my top elbow sticks out a bit. I think I'll still end up taking a little off, just maybe not as much as I thought. Thanks all who responded.

Jarick 11-27-2007 07:20 PM

Best way I've found to cut a OPS is with a Dremel. Use the emery cut off disc. Put a piece of hockey tape as straight as you can right where you want to cut it all the way around, then just cut there with a Dremel. It sands it smooth as you go, takes about 10 seconds.