HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: LA-TOR (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=44800)

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 06:36 AM

Proposal: LA-TOR

Before somebody rips me apart on this one, this proposal banks on the Kings dropping in the standings due to injury. I know many LA fans will say that the Kings won't go into the rebuilding mode but if they start losing money, they probably will want to rid themselves of some large, non-insurance paid cantracts.

To TOR
Mattias Norstrom, Konstantin Pushkarev

To LA
Carlo Colaiacovo, 3rd Rounder (2004), 1st rounder (2005), Alexei Ponikarovski, Todd Ford

Reasoning: Should the Kings go into rebuilding mode, Colaiacovo is turning out to be a very worthy prospect and could possibly crack the Kings lineup, Ponikarovski helps in the short term and long term as he is a developping player who can already play at an NHL level. Todd Ford and Konstantin Pushkarev are really a lateral move helping both clubs in the future in areas where they are not very deep.

Son of Steinbrenner 01-18-2004 06:44 AM

This trade will never happen. But i thank you for the laugh

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 06:51 AM

Your welcome, and thanks for sharing your thoughts :shakehead

Fat Elvis 01-18-2004 07:17 AM

I'd wait until we slip out of the race, but even then I'd really hate to lose our best dman and our diamond in the ruff sniper prospect. The likelyhood of Palffy resigning if we go into rebuild mode is not, and the Kings really need Palffy and don't have anyone close to replacing what he produces. We have a hard enough time as it is scoring since he's been out.

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 07:23 AM

Pushkarez could be changed to another forward prospect if needed.

Frolov 01-18-2004 07:23 AM

Pushkarev is the biggest wild card prospect in the NHL, imo. No way he's included in any trade. Carlo and the 1st are nice but we have enough prospects so the 1st isn't realy that attractive to us and Carlo might never even reach the level in which Norstrom is at right now.

In conclusion, take out Pushkarev and we consider it.

Frolov 01-18-2004 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Pushkarez could be changed to another forward prospect if needed.

Does Steve Kelly sound good?

willie 01-18-2004 07:26 AM

Quote:

Todd Ford and Konstantin Pushkarev are really a lateral move helping both clubs in the future in areas where they are not very deep.

:joker: Pushkarov just might be LA's best prospect. You don't give up his kind of upside when you go into "rebuilding" mode.

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 07:31 AM

Sorry, was trying to take the wild-card factor in. Who's Steve Kelly? would Hogeboom work?

willie 01-18-2004 07:42 AM

Quote:

Sorry, was trying to take the wild-card factor in. Who's Steve Kelly? would Hogeboom work?

Steve Kelly is a 27 year old AHL "superstar". :rolly: Honestly, Hogeboom wouldn't work for the simple fact that the Kings wouldn't make this deal. The Kings can't afford to deal Norstrom unless they get back proven bona-fide NHL talent that would be a part of the core next year.

The Kings are fine economically. They have very little salary tied up after this year and are in no rush to deal away their captain and completely alienate their fans. If Norstrom were traded to Toronto, at the very least, either Kaberle or McCabe would have to be coming back to LA. No other way around it.

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 07:49 AM

One, is there a next year? Two, if the team is falling apart, why not build for the future? I wonder if there's anyway to get a deal going where after a certain amount of time the player traded goes back to his old team? And finally, why has every sentence I've typed been a question? :dunno:

Frolov 01-18-2004 07:59 AM

Quote:

One, is there a next year? Two, if the team is falling apart, why not build for the future? I wonder if there's anyway to get a deal going where after a certain amount of time the player traded goes back to his old team? And finally, why has every sentence I've typed been a question? :dunno:

Who said the team is falling apart? We are 1 point out of a playoff spot and we are managing to get points on most nights even with the lineup we ice. The fans who are calling for a complete rebuild are ludicris.

Also our future looks very bright as it is so adding a couple 1st roudners isn't that big of a deal. In 2 years we can expect Grebeshkov, Gleason, Brown, Cammelleri, Aulin, and Frolov making huge contributions to this team. Theres nothing wrong with out future.

Again, I see no reason to trade our most reliable player and our captain.

Fat Elvis 01-18-2004 08:09 AM

I'd trade a Miller+a pick
for Colaiacovo.

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 08:11 AM

whoch is why I added a first, a third and Poni. We need Norstrom, we might go for Miller at the deadline.

Pinto 01-18-2004 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING ELVI
for Colaiacovo.

of course you would ;)

Fat Elvis 01-18-2004 08:25 AM

How about Miller + Flinn
for
Belle + Sagat

willie 01-18-2004 08:32 AM

Quote:

for Colaiacovo.

I wouldn't. The difference between Miller and Norstrom is not that great. (in fact, other than this year, I would say Miller has generally outplayed Norstorm during their time together in LA) Granted I would be more inclined to deal Miller just because he seems to be fairly injury prone but it would take more than Colaicavo. (while having to deal a pick to boot)

Quote:

Two, if the team is falling apart, why not build for the future?
First off, The Kings aren't falling apart. They are just being decimated by injuries.

Second, the Kings have one of the best prospect groups in the league. They are building for the future and, honestly, Colaicavo and a late 1st is not going to dramatically improve their current prospect core.

Third, you always need quality NHL talent (if nothing else to help the development of your prospects) and it would flat out MORONIC for LA to deal away of all their current NHLers for prospects. They are losing tons of a salary this offseason and after the CBA has sorted itself out, the Kings will be in a position to add some players to compliment their current core. (which, with the right tinkering, could be in a position to challenge for a Cup)

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 08:32 AM

1. We want Norstrom, otherwise we'd go after someone like Carney.
2. No Sagat for you. :joker:

willie 01-18-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:

How about Miller + Flinn
for
Belle + Sagat

Are you kidding me? And you are a Kings fan??

willie 01-18-2004 08:36 AM

Quote:

2. No Sagat for you.

Ah, pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about a 19 year old, 3rd round draft pick who has 6 goals in 34 games?

Verbal Kint* 01-18-2004 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
Ah, pardon my ignorance, but what is so special about a 19 year old, 3rd round draft pick who has 6 goals in 34 games?

Sorry forgot the joker, just wasn't interested and needed a lame excuse.

Fat Elvis 01-18-2004 08:57 AM

so willie you're satisfied with our defense then? You like having Corvo, Holland, Modry, Muir and norton on the blueline? Why not trade an aging veteran who hasn't played well while healthy this year, for Colaiacovo who most regard as a real player. Our defensive prospects other than gleason and grebs is up in the air at best. So yes, the Miller+Flinn trade for Belle and Sagat sucks, But is Flinn better than Brennan? Colaiacovo would be a great get for a team that doesn't have defensive depth while giving up a injury prone, over priced aging vet.

Frolov 01-18-2004 09:04 AM

Quote:

so willie you're satisfied with our defense then? You like having Corvo, Holland, Modry, Muir and norton on the blueline? Why not trade an aging veteran who hasn't played well while healthy this year, for Colaiacovo who most regard as a real player. Our defensive prospects other than gleason and grebs is up in the air at best. So yes, the Miller+Flinn trade for Belle and Sagat sucks, But is Flinn better than Brennan? Colaiacovo would be a great get for a team that doesn't have defensive depth while giving up a injury prone, over priced aging vet.

Hey if our defense is thin with Miller then how do we improve it by trading him for a guy that won't even make the team?

Fat Elvis 01-18-2004 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frolov
Hey if our defense is thin with Miller then how do we improve it by trading him for a guy that won't even make the team?

He is definitely better than Holland, kuznetsov, muir and probably better than Corvo . Miller has played how many games for us this year? I'm not sure Miller is a top 2 on any team other than ours, and his body doesn't seem to handle all the ice time. On the Leafs he could be a 3-4 and compliment rather than be the man. How has Miller helped us the last 2 years?
Giving ice time to holland, kuznetsov, muir, ziska and corvo is not helping.

willie 01-18-2004 09:56 AM

Quote:

Giving ice time to holland, kuznetsov, muir, ziska and corvo is not helping.

And how does giving away Miller for a couple of 3rd round picks help us any??? Or dealing him, along with a pick, for a prospect who might become as good as Miller???

I fail to see the logic.

I'm not against dealing Miller necessarily but the package needs to make logical sense and Taylor better have a pair of defenseman lined up to replace him.