HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey without any water! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=448047)

Dangler87 11-28-2007 09:49 PM

Hockey without any water!

Alright, so I have been playing varsity high school hockey all 4 years of my high school career, and not once, did my coach ever let us bring any water on the ice during practices. He would say that water is for the weak. We practice 4 times a week and have 2 games during a week, so we only have 1 day off to rest. For the first practice of the week, usually Monday, all we do for an hour and 10 minutes is hard skating back and forth, herbies (suicides), and other different variations of skating to the lines, stopping, skating back to another line, forward to another line, etc. And at the end of all our practices, we usually do 20 minutes of skating at the end.

I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on how to keep yourself completely hydrated so you don't end up becoming extremely thirsty while skating.

I do drink about 6 water bottles a day, but I mean, I am, and pretty sure everyone else on my team sure gets thirsty and dehydrated while doing hard skating.

If I could get some suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

sc37 11-28-2007 09:54 PM

File a lawsuit?:sarcasm:

Honestly, coach shouldn't be allowed to deny water especially after all the deaths from players from being dehydrated and stuff. I know it's hockey and it's ice, so it's cold but humans still need water to survive...

And to keep hydrated overall, start drinking early and often. Don't wait till the last minute before chugging, carry yourself a jug around a couple days before.

Blackjack 11-28-2007 10:02 PM

Honestly, your coach is an idiot. If water was "for the weak" why do NHLers drink water on the bench? Your coach is hurting your performance on the ice, and he's creating a dangerous situation. If anyone on your team gets hurt, or worse, because of the dehydration, he will almost certainly be sued.

My guess is that if you report him, he will be forced to allow water, and you will suddenly see your ice time reduced or disappear. Crappy choice, and I wouldn't fault you for staying quiet. I would just recommend that you drink a lot before the games, and be careful, look up the symptoms for dehydration, and watch for them during practice/games.

Dangler87 11-28-2007 10:05 PM

Well for games, we would have like 16 water bottles. But it's only during the practices, which are 70 minutes 4 times a week, that we don't get allowed to have water.

And yes, everyone thinks my coach is an idiot.

SPORTSMANIAC 11-28-2007 10:28 PM

Thank god I never had ur coach or I would of been out of job as a manger.

Nosebleed Section 11-28-2007 10:45 PM

Let me get this straight you skate hard for 70 minutes straight with out water. Yeah... I'll call ********.

Jarick 11-28-2007 10:51 PM

Pretty sure you can take that to the sports director or whoever. That's a load. If you're working hard, you will need to rehydrate.

FLYLine24* 11-28-2007 11:05 PM

Is your coach a complete idiot? I'm serious...

Wait till someone passes out of dehydration, I hope those parents sue the living crap out of that idiot.

Again, I have to say it, your coach is a complete idiot. Your body needs water. I feel bad for you and your team.

Stripes 11-29-2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 11396752)
File a lawsuit

Honestly

Fixed.

Jonathan Iilahti* 11-29-2007 01:50 AM

Kevin Bieksa played the entire 7 period playoff game against the Dallas Stars without drinking or eating anything. He never drinks water during games because he "doesn't like the way it feels in his stomach".

Stripes 11-29-2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher0805 (Post 11399276)
Kevin Bieksa played the entire 7 period playoff game against the Dallas Stars without drinking or eating anything. He never drinks water during games because he "doesn't like the way it feels in his stomach".

He does take a swig every few shifts and spits it out. It still helps with hydration. He's not being deprived of water by his coach.

Phoenix 11-29-2007 05:52 AM

Anonymous tip-off!

Unless you are going to be deprived of water during a game, trying to train you to be some desert-survivor is pointless. And hydration improves your name, dehydration worsens it.

Reckless Abandon* 11-29-2007 06:23 AM

If your captain is up for it, have him say something.

NJDevs430 11-29-2007 08:07 AM

I thought this was going to be about artificial ice when I first clicked on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangler87 (Post 11396665)
...He would say that water is for the weak...

Sounds like the bad-guy Karate instructor from Karate Kid. He hasn't encouraged anyone to sweep the leg, has he?

Anyway, he should say that face-to-face with any number of NHLers. Maybe after he slips in a pool of sweat he'll change his tune.
}:-(>
Or maybe someone will yarf on his skates.

frito 11-29-2007 08:50 AM

From one coach to your coach, GET REAL. Proper hydration increases performance, decreases muscle cramps and generally reduces the risk of serious injury up to and including death. The idea of the captain speaking to him is a good one. Another possibility is have any parents in the medical field, if any, talk to him about proper hydration and maybe even talk to the entire team - players, coaching staff, parents etc. about it. My assistant coach is an orthopedic surgeon/sports medicine. You can regularly hear him shouting "Don't wait, HYDRATE".

If there aren't any parents in the medical field I would try to get the parents to band together ant let the coach know how rediculous this is and that they will be sending water bottles with the players and expect that the team will be allow to drink them. I would expect a player to consume an entire water bottle over the course of a 70 minute high skating intensity practice.

Your coach needs to move into the 21st century and do some reading on the subject. Heck, the coaches' gift from our organization this year was water bottles.

Good luck.

Heat McManus 11-29-2007 08:59 AM

Best coaching tidbit i've heard since "concussions don't exist"

waffledave 11-29-2007 09:25 AM

I have a problem with hydration where I never can tell that I'm dehydratic until I start getting headaches and throwing up. I used to play whole games without touching water because I never felt I needed it. As I moved up though, the games go tougher and eventually it got to a point where I would pass out after a while, start throwing up, get migraines, etc...

I force myself to drink now and it's improved my game, even if I don't crave water when I play. Your coach is insane and what he's doing is dangerous. I wonder how he'll feel once someone starts throwing up everywhere.

stick9 11-29-2007 12:19 PM

If you do something about it (which you should), do it as a team. He can't bench the entire team. You need to speak to him as one, not a few guys whining about his hard *** rules. Do your research, print out all the info you can, pass it around to all the guys so they are fully educated on it and know the warning signs. I'd also give the coach a copy of that info when you guys approach him about it.

You're doing him a favor. God forbid if something happened and people found out he was depriving his players water. It would be his butt on the line.

Clint 11-29-2007 01:06 PM

I haven't read the 17 replies before mine, but you and your teammates should really band together and go talk to the head of your school athletics department and get this master of douchebaggery fired. This guy is clearly a neanderthal and is waiting for someone to die of dehydration. This D-bag has no place in modern athletics, ESPECIALLY around young people.

Water is for the weak? Okay, asshat. Tell that to Korey Stringer. That was a death that was COMPLETELY preventable with a little water and some freaking shade.

Chalupa Batman 11-29-2007 01:31 PM

Yeah. Unless you're trolling, this guy should be fired.

windflare 11-29-2007 02:15 PM

"What the HELL" is the first reaction I got from that. Better talk to him as a team, and if he doesn't listen, principal time. If not, talk to the local newspapers as a team. See what happens from that.

Because your coach is a bloody idiot. Different players have different needs - I used to play for long stretches of different sports without drinking anything, but that's me back then. It's important to keep your body hydrated, especially in a sport like hockey where you sweat like a monkey.

Joe Cole 11-29-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 11400803)
I have a problem with hydration where I never can tell ..
I force myself to drink now and it's improved my game, even if I don't crave water when I play.

Waffle, I have a similar story. I have played hockey at a competitive level for over 30 years. I always drank on the bench for the hell of it, because I figured I should. Sometimes, if bottles were scarce, I wouldn't and I saw no difference in my performance.

Then I took some advanced driving courses on a closed circuit. These are multiple sessions of 20 minutes each. They always tell us to stay hydrated between sessions. Because of my hockey experience, I thought "yeah whatever!"

So... here I am doing really well. Each session getting faster and more precise. Then in my 3rd lap of a session, I start losing the line, missing my brake points, turning in too early, too late.... my instructor tells me "pick it up or we are getting off the track". I manage to finish the session, but my ego is really bruised.

In the paddock, my instructor asks me if I drank enough water. It turns out I did not. Getting out of the car, my knees are shaky and my speech mumbled.

I drank 4 litres of water, stayed out of the sun, next session, I ripped it up.

I never thought that dehydration was a reality. But it is. Granted 20 minutes sessions of extreme focus is different then 60 second flat out shifts... but it made it painfully obvious, hydration is important.

This coach is an idiot. There is a differnce in not letting his players lose focus and waste time chatting at the "water cooler" and honestly re-hydrating.

Crosbyfan 11-29-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangler87 (Post 11396665)
Alright, so I have been playing varsity high school hockey all 4 years of my high school career, and not once, did my coach ever let us bring any water on the ice during practices. He would say that water is for the weak. We practice 4 times a week and have 2 games during a week, so we only have 1 day off to rest. For the first practice of the week, usually Monday, all we do for an hour and 10 minutes is hard skating back and forth, herbies (suicides), and other different variations of skating to the lines, stopping, skating back to another line, forward to another line, etc. And at the end of all our practices, we usually do 20 minutes of skating at the end.

I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on how to keep yourself completely hydrated so you don't end up becoming extremely thirsty while skating.

I do drink about 6 water bottles a day, but I mean, I am, and pretty sure everyone else on my team sure gets thirsty and dehydrated while doing hard skating.

If I could get some suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

Start drinking a glass of water every 10 minutes, starting 4 hours before the practice.

Avoid urinating during this time.

Stop drinking water 1 hour before practise.

Make absolutely sure you do not urinate. This is important.

While you normally should always try to be one of the first on the ice, allow your teammates and coaches to go ahead of you onto the ice-stay in the dressing room.

Find the coach's shoes and piss on them.

YogiCanucks 11-29-2007 06:27 PM

Hydration wise I think you should be fine if you're drinking all that water before hand. I'd only worry about my mouth drying out.

MikeD 11-29-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosbyfan (Post 11407041)
Start drinking a glass of water every 10 minutes, starting 4 hours before the practice.

Do not follow this advice....it is deadly. You can drink too much water

Water Intoxication