HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   D for O swap likely in any Carolina deals: TSN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45011)

sveiglar 01-19-2004 06:31 AM

D for O swap likely in any Carolina deals: TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...48&hubName=nhl

I'd think Markov or Hill should have a bit of value around the league, though it seems that no team gets trade value anymore when dealing in established players.

HughJass* 01-19-2004 06:58 AM

Oh my.

I don't know where to begin, so I won't. This team was 1 point away from second place in the division yesterday and blew it. They can't beat *** Atlanta and *** Tampa Bay? I don't see how Rutherford can add a fleet of foot puck moving d-man without giving up something really valuable. If it's O'Neill it better be Hamrlik.

Sotnos 01-19-2004 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
They can't beat *** Atlanta and *** Tampa Bay?

You make it sound like it should be easy. :p

Anyway, this sounds like it might be one or two small trades just to change things up a bit, but we'll see.

officeglen 01-19-2004 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I don't see how Rutherford can add a fleet of foot puck moving d-man without giving up something really valuable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSN
Rutherford would not specify what trade or trades he would make but indicated any likely deal would be a swap of defense for offense, and it could happen as soon as today.

That is the Canes are trading Defense for a Forward, not obtaining a "fleet of foot puck moving d-man".

Also in other talk elsewhere it is thought that Florida might trade a forward for D. I wonder if Kristian Huselius will find himself a Candy Cane Tuesday morning?

Peter Griffin 01-19-2004 08:14 AM

Looking at the Canes roster, it seems like Markov is the only one with any trade value. Hill, Boughner, and Wesley are all UFA's, trading value isn't high(picks/prospects). Hedican is a decent top 4 blueliner on a lot of teams, but he's signed to a rediculous contract(something like 5 more years at $3 mil per), no team will give any value up for that contract. And finally we have Aaron Ward. A 5th/6th d-man that managed to squeeze a lucrative long term deal out of Rutherford. Again, little to no value. So unless the Canes are willing to trade Markov, or are only looking to get a UFA rental in return, I doubt they will get any offensive help by using their defenseman as trading chips.

WoodGundy 01-19-2004 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Looking at the Canes roster, it seems like Markov is the only one with any trade value. Hill, Boughner, and Wesley are all UFA's, trading value isn't high(picks/prospects). Hedican is a decent top 4 blueliner on a lot of teams, but he's signed to a rediculous contract(something like 5 more years at $3 mil per), no team will give any value up for that contract. And finally we have Aaron Ward. A 5th/6th d-man that managed to squeeze a lucrative long term deal out of Rutherford. Again, little to no value. So unless the Canes are willing to trade Markov, or are only looking to get a UFA rental in return, I doubt they will get any offensive help by using their defenseman as trading chips.

That is a sad, but accurate analysis of the situation. He is a fool if he is really trying to tweak the team for a run at a play-off spot. No team in the NHL needs to rebuild more than the 'Canes.

Mats NAslund 01-19-2004 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodGundy
That is a sad, but accurate analysis of the situation. He is a fool if he is really trying to tweak the team for a run at a play-off spot. No team in the NHL needs to rebuild more than the 'Canes.

Would a package of Marcel Hossa and pick land Montreal O'Neil? If not what would it take to get O'Neil in Montreal?

Ajacied 01-19-2004 08:46 AM

Markov would be nice.. Stars need some young puck rushers.. but again, we can't part with the assets the'd want in return.

ginner classic 01-19-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodGundy

I don't think you need to be that harsh....Washington is in way worse shape. :D

Plan 9 01-19-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
Would a package of Marcel Hossa and pick land Montreal O'Neill?

Do camels have wings?

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 12:57 PM

i think they may be throwing in a d WITH oneill to get it doen. the tsn article today mentions rutherford saying he needs to "change up" the forwards. luke decock rarely puts anything in the observer unless it is imminent, oneill could be gone today.

Marc the Habs Fan 01-19-2004 01:06 PM

Nothing spells offence like Yanic Perreault..you know you want him Jim :joker: :joker: :joker:

xtra 01-19-2004 01:08 PM

i am starting to get the feeling that there will be a

Sopel + assets

for

O'neil and one of the canes UFA dman

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 01:08 PM

yikes. dont mess with us - this is tough enough :cry: . waiting for an imminent trade you suspect you going to hate is the worst.

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtra

Sopel + assets

for

dude, that is not d for o...knock it off. rutherfors SAID he is trading for offense...not offensive - like your offer.

Ajacied 01-19-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Sopel + assets

for

Those "assets" better be good. In all honesty, quite easily better then the main piece in Brent Sopel. That griff poster of yours is pretty much bang on, he proposed Koltsov, Chubarov and a first. Though I think the Canes can do even better then that, think Allen + Cooke + first for O'Neill and Boughner..

Plan 9 01-19-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Sopel + assets

for

http://media.TheInsiders.com/Media/O...29031_barf.GIF

ginner classic 01-19-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov71

OFL!!!

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 01:15 PM

has there ever been any trade mentioned in ANY media source that would give any credence to ANY notion that a) sopel is being shopped for oneill or b)the carolina hurricanes have ever expressed any interest in him? or are all these horrible offers coming merely from fans on this site, i need to know. i dont want to hear how "it makes sense", i want a link to a printed article saying that this has any basis of truth-cause i think it is crap.

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov71

i second that emotion

TKLOOCH22 01-19-2004 01:23 PM

Rangers have Anson Carter, who IMO could use a change. Carter and Poti have been the two most rumored Rangers to be shipped out.

Anson Carter for Danny Markov?

Peter Griffin 01-19-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
That griff poster of yours is pretty much bang on, he proposed Koltsov, Chubarov and a first.

That was for Satan though. I'd likely pony up more for O'Neill, I like him better! :)

Quote:

Though I think the Canes can do even better then that, think Allen + Cooke + first for O'Neill and Boughner..
It won't happen then. It's highly unlikely that the Canucks would trade one of Cooke or Allen, but both? If that was the asking price, the Canucks would pass and inquire about the cheaper alternatives out there.

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKLOOCH22
Rangers have Anson Carter, who IMO could use a change. Carter and Poti have been the two most rumored Rangers to be shipped out.

Anson Carter for Danny Markov?

out top d for your underachieving overpaid winger? i think we would trade for carter-but i pray thats not it. no offense, thats just not attractive at all.

ginner classic 01-19-2004 01:34 PM

If Rutherford trades Markov he is a complete moron. He is the only good thing happening on that D. He should be looking for more top 4 defenders that are going to be around for the next 7 years or so, not trading them away for overrated snipers like Carter.

I am positive that the Canes will deal O'Neill but I can see them trying to get a guy like Satan back....a deal of Zhitnik and Satan for O'Neill, Boughner with some salary consideration from Buffalo would not be a bad way to go. Tallinder would be OK too. I think there is a lot to gain by simply having O'Neill and Satan change cities. I think they are both phenomenal talents, though Dumont would be more attractive. The Pyatt proposals are intersting but that is not enough to placate the 'Canes need for goals.

xtra 01-19-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
Those "assets" better be good. In all honesty, quite easily better then the main piece in Brent Sopel. That griff poster of yours is pretty much bang on, he proposed Koltsov, Chubarov and a first. Though I think the Canes can do even better then that, think Allen + Cooke + first for O'Neill and Boughner..

your telling me that the Canes wouldn't even consider a deal where Sopel is involved?

Sopel + Kolstov + Chubarov and a first for O'neill and UFA dman wouldn't intrest the canes at all?

Sopel has 24 points in 44 games this year which is pretty respectable.
http://www.nhl.com/lineups/player/8462176.html

But its all moot point as i thought they were trading a forward for Dman when in fact there looking to deal a dman for a forward.