HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Carolina making changes. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45059)

tytech 01-19-2004 12:43 PM

Carolina making changes.

tsn.ca
Rutherford would not specify what trade or trades he would make but indicated any likely deal would be a swap of defense for offense, and it could happen as soon as today.

I wonder if this would include a goaltender. Even though Esche is playing well a solid 1-2 punch would be nice. I wonder what it would take to get weekes? He was orginally obtained last year for Shane Willis and Chris Dingman. Obviously for more now but what offense player would we give up now? I'm sure Carolina isn't looking to give up weekes but with the right deal anything is possbile. Especially if Carolina wants a good shake up.

How about Gagne/Williams/Kapanen/Sharp

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
tsn.ca
Rutherford would not specify what trade or trades he would make but indicated any likely deal would be a swap of defense for offense, and it could happen as soon as today.

I wonder if this would include a goaltender. Even though Esche is playing well a solid 1-2 punch would be nice. I wonder what it would take to get weekes? He was orginally obtained last year for Shane Willis and Chris Dingman. Obviously for more now but what offense player would we give up now? I'm sure Carolina isn't looking to give up weekes but with the right deal anything is possbile. Especially if Carolina wants a good shake up.

not that you would give them up, but im sure gagne or williams would be what they want. they would definitely be rebuilding if they traded weekes. if theyre out of it completely at the deadline-who knows. untill theyre out of it, no way they trade weekes....even if they are out of it it is unlikely. canes dont have a backup worth playing-and we dont want hackett either.

Dr Love 01-19-2004 12:49 PM

Weeks was traded to Carolina 2 years ago. His stock has really gone up since then too. I doubt they move him. I'd love to see Jeff O'Neill here (imagine him along side Comrie), but there's about 29 other teams that would like to have him too.

GKJ 01-19-2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Weeks was traded to Carolina 2 years ago. His stock has really gone up since then too. I doubt they move him. I'd love to see Jeff O'Neill here (imagine him along side Comrie), but there's about 29 other teams that would like to have him too.

O'Neill has 5 goals. I don't think Clarke wants to acquire another struggling former 40-goal scorer, or any more fowards for that matter. If anything, he will get a defenseman, mayber even two, since Hitchcock said last year he wants to have 8 NHL ready defensemen for the playoffs. If we make a trade with Carolina, I think we'll get either Bob Boughner or Aaron Ward.

bleedgreen 01-19-2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
O'Neill has 5 goals. I don't think Clarke wants to acquire another struggling former 40-goal scorer, or any more fowards for that matter. If anything, he will get a defenseman, mayber even two, since Hitchcock said last year he wants to have 8 NHL ready defensemen for the playoffs. If we make a trade with Carolina, I think we'll get either Bob Boughner or Aaron Ward.

how about boughner oneill for williams and a young d of your choice?

GKJ 01-19-2004 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
how about boughner oneill for williams and a young d of your choice?

we can't trade any of our young d right now, and frankly there really isn't a need for O'Neill right now, espically to lose Williams for him

Plan 9 01-19-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
O'Neill has 5 goals.

For the record, that is incorrect.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisp...pid%5B%5D=4043

Brad* 01-19-2004 02:52 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to the Flyers acquiring Weekes, but that would leave them with a serious logjam at goal if they didnt' send a goaltender the other way.

Plan 9 01-19-2004 03:01 PM

Aside from Staal, I'd say Weekes is the most untradeable Hurricane. That's how I see it, at least.

Quellet The Dogs Out 01-19-2004 04:54 PM

I just don't see them moving O'Neill right now either, I know that he is struggling this season, but has been with the organization from Day 1 in his career...he is a fan favorite there too...Even though he is struggling, I say he stays put for right now.

FlyHigh 01-19-2004 05:06 PM

Why would the Flyers need O'neill? Look at that offensive line-up that they have already. I know it might be hard, but the team needs to trade for a No.6/7 defenseman and then see how things go.

fan mao rong 01-19-2004 05:10 PM

You know with Seidenberg out around 12 weeks, Desjardins out around 8 weeks, and Ragnarsson out around 2 weeks, those are the weeks that factor into a trade if they really want to move a defenseman. How about that?

FlyHigh 01-19-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan mao rong
You know with Seidenberg out around 12 weeks, Desjardins out around 8 weeks, and Ragnarsson out around 2 weeks, those are the weeks that factor into a trade if they really want to move a defenseman. How about that?

With Rags out for 10-12 days, expect an FA signing/small trade very soon.

stanley 01-19-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I wouldn't be opposed to the Flyers acquiring Weekes, but that would leave them with a serious logjam at goal if they didnt' send a goaltender the other way.

Right. I don't see how Weekes is an upgrade for the Flyers. He's a good goaltender, but if anybody can define for me how he'd be better than any of Vanbiesbrouck, Boucher, Esche, et. al, I'd be willing to listen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkj
O'Neill has 5 goals...."

Actually, he has eight if you count the hat trick this weekend.

But let's not get bogged down in semantics. I'm with Doc on this one. That total isn't impressive, but I think it's an anomoly. Throughout his career, with the exception of the goal total for this season, he's been a very good player. His shot totals are projecting to equal career highs. I think the struggles of that team have found him, also. At 28 years of age (as of next month), he's in his prime. Jeff O'Neill over Gagne or Williams? Hmmm. That's a tough one. O'Neill makes them better now and in the next few years, but it's always a tough decision when it comes to contributing young players. Their ceilings can be difficult to project.

I do agree that a Ward or Hill would go a long way on this club, and I wouldn't be suprised to see a big deal. I don't think the likes of Gagne or Williams are particularly safe if the right player can be had. I'm not condoning it nor do I have any knowledge it's true - it's just my "feeling."