HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Could we get through to the playoff?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45115)

Habs4ever 01-19-2004 04:58 PM

Could we get through to the playoff??

we are just few points ahead of 8th spot and 9th spot isn't far behind, our guys will have to continue playing consistent games or Islanders and Rangers have the talent to pass us on no time, and to make things interesting Islanders are missing Yashin once he comes back they'll get even better, while Thrasers are likely getting back heatly very shortly, we can't afford to lose any points in the last minute of the game, before it didn't mean much but now every point gets us closer to the playoff, I just hope we don't come crashing down, as optimism seems to be going overboard and we could easily become bottom feeders in no time!!

RE-HABS 01-19-2004 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4ever
we are just few points ahead of 8th spot and 9th spot isn't far behind, our guys will have to continue playing consistent games or Islanders and Rangers have the talent to pass us on no time, and to make things interesting Islanders are missing Yashin once he comes back they'll get even better, while Thrasers are likely getting back heatly very shortly, we can't afford to lose any points in the last minute of the game, before it didn't mean much but now every point gets us closer to the playoff, I just hope we don't come crashing down, as optimism seems to be going overboard and we could easily become bottom feeders in no time!!

We are also only what 5 points out of 1st overall in the East too, so we aren't the only team that has o be careful. The Leafs, Bruins, Sens, Devils and Flyers are teams that can't afford a slide either. It just goes to show the league is pretty even, no clear front runner yet in the East from 1 to 10.

It's probably going to take close to 90 + points to lock down the 8th spot in the East this year, no spot will be easy for any of the teams currently in the hunt.

Traitor8 01-19-2004 05:18 PM

It's gonna take 86 pts to get in the playoffs...

Now...if you watch lots of tv...you would realize that analyst say that the habs have the best goalie out of the whole bunch that's fighting for a playoff spot (exception of the Devils) so that's why some teams favor the Habs.

Theodore Theodore Theodore!

He's the guy who will make or won't make it hapen

RE-HABS 01-19-2004 05:23 PM

Last year the Islanders landed the last spot with 83 points and the Oilers the last with 92 in the West.

I think with the improvement from the Islanders, Habs and Rangers that it will take a point total like the Oilers had last season to get the 8th spot.

I totally agree that we have the best goalie in the NHL right now alongside of Broduer, that helps...especially down the stretch when we may need Theo to steal a game or two.

BLONG7 01-19-2004 05:54 PM

Habs goalie coach Rollie Melanson has said that Jose will get stronger as the season goes on... as he did 2 yrs ago when we were on a playoff run.

gohabsgo 01-19-2004 06:54 PM

I think Montreal has a definite shot at the playoffs. As of 5:10 AM today, Montreal sits in 6th place in the East (54 points: 23-16-6-2 record), tied with Boston, and within 4 points of 4th-place Ottawa. Even though I can't realistically see them overtaking Toronto for top spot in the division, they are only 5 points out. It won't be easy, but it's doable.

Let's be realistic: Montreal's had some outstanding play from a some guys that haven't produced much in the past, namely Souray and Ribeiro. I think the Habs will be lucky if this trend continues, but believe me no-one wants to see that more than me. Souray's gotta stay out of the penalty box a little more in the second half (58 minutes is 2nd on the team behind Darren Langdon's 84), and Ribeiro's gotta shoot the puck a little more (even though it looks sweet on his shooting percentage: 17.74%) I have been incredibly impressed with Michael Ryder and he's definitely a lead candidate for Rookie of the Year. I hope he doesn't crack under the pressure. I'd like to be a little more impressed with Koivu than I am, but he still has 26 points so that's not TERRIBLE. He definitely, though, has to pick up some slack.

I will definitely say this: the season lives and dies on the shoulders of Jose Theodore. He's one of the hottest goalies in the league right now, and I feel as though he's returned to his form of 2 years past. He has a save percentage of .929 and a GAA of just over 2, to compliment 5 shutouts. He's the horse that's gonna take them there if they're gonna make it.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 01-19-2004 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gohabsgo

I will definitely say this: the season lives and dies on the shoulders of Jose Theodore. He's one of the hottest goalies in the league right now, and I feel as though he's returned to his form of 2 years past. He has a save percentage of .929 and a GAA of just over 2, to compliment 5 shutouts. He's the horse that's gonna take them there if they're gonna make it.

I agree with this 100% if Theo goes down with an injury were screwed. I`m glad Souray, Ribiero, Dagenais and Ryder are having good seasons but it dosn`t matter how good they play, if Theo starts to slump were in trouble.

Bud The Spud* 01-19-2004 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
Habs goalie coach Rollie Melanson has said that Jose will get stronger as the season goes on... as he did 2 yrs ago when we were on a playoff run.

It's great to see him doing well. We really need him to continue this. I think we have a good chance to make it to the playoffs, but it will be close.