HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Black or White tape? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=451529)

monster_bertuzzi 12-07-2007 09:22 PM

Black or White tape?

I've noticed a distinct difference in the two colours. Anyone who uses white tape looks like a compltely different stick handler than someone who uses black. I think black tape makes you look like you have better hands. What do you all think?

McNasty 12-07-2007 09:43 PM

I play Roller so I use white tape, black tape is stickier and it picks up a lot of the rubber shavings from the floor. On the shaft I never use black because it ***** your gloves, the blade idk some people say Black tape hides the puck better but idk how much of a difference it makes.

Diamond Joe 12-08-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 11526758)
I play Roller so I use white tape, black tape is stickier and it picks up a lot of the rubber shavings from the floor. On the shaft I never use black because it ***** your gloves, the blade idk some people say Black tape hides the puck better but idk how much of a difference it makes.

It CAN hide the puck better, but you have to be good enough to know how to hide the puck. ie. deking on a goalie pull the puck across with the forehand of the stick facing the goalie and the puck behind the blade type stuff. Black can be more of a cushion, but it also tends to wear out faster, I think it might be less natural in some cases, or more.

xeric716x 12-08-2007 10:59 AM

black tape.

Backstrom #19 12-08-2007 11:01 AM

Blue tape on the shaft, Black tape on the blade.

Ri hards 12-08-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi (Post 11526327)
I've noticed a distinct difference in the two colours. Anyone who uses white tape looks like a compltely different stick handler than someone who uses black. I think black tape makes you look like you have better hands. What do you all think?

White tape tends to be thinner than black tape. Generally you should be able to get more acceleration on your shots with white tape because of this. Black tape is generally better for receiving passes and stickhandling because there's a little extra give.

Thinking about it, it's pretty close to the distinction between a composite blade and a wooden blade.

JumboJoe19 12-08-2007 12:55 PM

white looks alot better

AdamBanks8 12-08-2007 01:06 PM

White tape doesnt last. I have to replace my white tape after every hour on the ice. I think it might be thinner so it rips easier, aswell as the blade is usually black so it shows more than the black tape.

WhipNash27 12-08-2007 01:57 PM

black

Nosebleed Section 12-08-2007 11:07 PM

It's all just color. Except on the shaft the dye in black tape really does wreck your palms. You can buy thicker/thinner white/black tape. As far as the hiding the puck I guess in theory it makes sense but I don't know some goalies I've heard yes others not.

RJ8812* 12-08-2007 11:44 PM

racists

lotus 12-09-2007 12:46 AM

I use white on top and replace it whenever it gets dirty. Keeps the gloves (palm) at least somewhat clean. Black on bottom just looks cleaner to me. So if I have a choice, that's what it is. But I really couldn't care.

WhipNash27 12-09-2007 11:34 AM

I got the oggie grip on my shaft. No more tape and it feels so wonderful. Got black friction tape on the blade, always will use it.

Jarick 12-09-2007 11:44 AM

I use black tape for the extra friction and durability. Some prefer white or black because it changes how you see the blade on the ice. White tape seems to catch less snow and is a bit lighter in weight, but not much. Try them both.

Redden Hogalot* 12-09-2007 12:30 PM

I kick it old school, no tape for me.

vcx* 12-09-2007 01:11 PM

I go with black tape on the blade, white tape for the butt end. There was this one idiot in the rec league i play in (divisional) that used electric tape.

lotus 12-09-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 11545160)
I use black tape for the extra friction and durability. Some prefer white or black because it changes how you see the blade on the ice. White tape seems to catch less snow and is a bit lighter in weight, but not much. Try them both.

you mean friction tape I'm assuming? Just clearing this up cause I was confused for a while haha. I use non stick regular black tape, same as white.

I used friction tape once, and I taped up my stick at home. By the time I got to the rink, there was so much crap on it I tore it off and threw some regular tape on.

Keetz 12-09-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamBanks8 (Post 11532931)
White tape doesnt last. I have to replace my white tape after every hour on the ice. I think it might be thinner so it rips easier, aswell as the blade is usually black so it shows more than the black tape.

use wax. or do what I do and use mink oil. It protects the tape and blade from moisture. I use shafts with wood blades and it makes them last till they break rather than shredding on the bottom and rotting from within.

Diamond Joe 12-09-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keetz (Post 11548341)
use wax. or do what I do and use mink oil. It protects the tape and blade from moisture. I use shafts with wood blades and it makes them last till they break rather than shredding on the bottom and rotting from within.

That goes down to shooting technique too, ideally blades should not get split up at all-that's from hitting the ice too much/hard when you shoot.

clefty 12-09-2007 06:26 PM

Red.

Black tape left permanent black marks on my beautiful white jersey.

Ulic 12-09-2007 07:05 PM

It really doesn't matter for individual performance. People use either for either playing style or skill.

As far as a difference, black tape on the blade is a stronger contrast to the ice and therefore stands out better as a target for teammates to pass to.

BlairBettsBlocks 12-09-2007 07:29 PM

goalies should have black tape so the puck blends in and nobody can tell if the puck was in or not
:D

newfish 12-09-2007 08:45 PM

I usually use white cloth tape. The last time I played I used back friction tape, and I dont like it very much. Tends to get ****** after a period. I do have black cloth now so I will see how that goes. I tend to like cloth tape better. I usually tape it, then I use surfwax to cover it, it can last a couple of games which is nice. For grip I use tacki-mac. I have used it for 3 years now and I will never go back to tape. My gloves are lasting longer and its really comfortable. Tacki-mac rules!!:yo:

spoon* 12-09-2007 08:51 PM

Black for me

Ti-girl 12-10-2007 01:39 PM

Black when I play forward, white when I play D.