HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   So I'm an idiot... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=452139)

Oilerfan120582 12-09-2007 07:41 PM

So I'm an idiot...

My first time out with my brand new pair of skates and without paying attention to where I'm going I step right onto a patch of concrete. Once I got out on the ice it became very clear that I had lost an edge as a result (unless they just did a terrible job of sharpening them the first time). My question is - could I have caused permanent damage to the blade, or will re-sharpening them completely fix the problem?

SSM12 12-09-2007 07:42 PM

sharpening should fix it, ive done it before, felt like you were skating on sludge right? They re sharpened mine and now its fixed.

Ulic 12-09-2007 08:01 PM

Yeah they can just sharpen it again. Nothing to worry about, it happens.

lotus 12-09-2007 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM12 (Post 11549629)
sharpening should fix it, ive done it before, felt like you were skating on sludge right? They re sharpened mine and now its fixed.

I know what you mean, worst feeling in the world. Gives me chills hahah.

Don't worry about it, just get them sharpened.

newfish 12-09-2007 09:50 PM

Have no worries-Have them grind the skate down first, with the grinder. Then have them sharpen the skate again. I dont trust anyone sharpening my skates unless its at a good pro-shop. I drive 15 mins to get my skates sharpen. I used to get my skates sharpen anywhere, but lots of places dont know what they are doing. Or they have a kids who dont know they are doing or just dont care. I miss sharpening my own skates! :(

SSM12 12-09-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus (Post 11551163)
I know what you mean, worst feeling in the world. Gives me chills hahah.

Don't worry about it, just get them sharpened.

mine happened in the middle of an adult pickup. I was about to shoot and A guy LIFTED my stick, i had my hands up high and it flew out, over the glass boards. Had to get it and it was cement behind there but I didnt think 3 steps was gonna work. Got back on the ice and was like: "****"

never want that to happen again

sc37 12-09-2007 11:21 PM

Yeah if it's really bad, ask for a crossgrind to get a clean slate on your blades there.

Oilerfan120582 12-10-2007 12:23 AM

It wasn't too bad so I hope a regular sharpening will do, but I'll make sure I take them to a good shop where they know what they're doing. Thanks guys.

Diamond Joe 12-10-2007 12:47 AM

Worst case you do the tip toe, that's the best way, definitely not the whole skate though, one poster said it's the worst sound and feeling in the world...oh it is, makes me cringe.

Gino 14 12-10-2007 10:06 AM

I'd get on my hands and knees and crawl before I'd walk on concrete with my skates on.

Diamond Joe 12-10-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 11554736)
I'd get on my hands and knees and crawl before I'd walk on concrete with my skates on.

I assumed that wasn't an option, but that's what i do first and foremost. Anyone ever had to take a piss with all your stuff on in a concrete bathroom...ie. peeing on your knees in a rink bathroom (basically having to wash your socks when you get home)

WhipNash27 12-10-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 11554736)

haha, i do the same.

OttersRus 12-10-2007 10:20 AM

Or you could just take your skates off.:naughty:

frito 12-10-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamond Joe (Post 11554762)
I assumed that wasn't an option, but that's what i do first and foremost. Anyone ever had to take a piss with all your stuff on in a concrete bathroom...ie. peeing on your knees in a rink bathroom (basically having to wash your socks when you get home)

Two words - SKATE GUARDS. Just don't go onto the ice with them on. Then again, do it at least once. I think it is virtual requirement to forget to take them off at least once and then try to figure out why in hades you can't skate all of the sudden.:o

Diamond Joe 12-10-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frito (Post 11555312)
Two words - SKATE GUARDS. Just don't go onto the ice with them on. Then again, do it at least once. I think it is virtual requirement to forget to take them off at least once and then try to figure out why in hades you can't skate all of the sudden.:o

No man, as you get older you notice less and less that guys don't have guards in their bags...sometimes it's just not an option. ;)

Doctor No 12-10-2007 11:37 AM

My first start in college, as we were coming off the ice for the first intermission, one of the mats slipped and I basically slid my skate on concrete sideways for maybe a foot. My edge was completely shot, but I didn't tell anyone because I wanted to finish the game. Sigh.