HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Philly looking fo D (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45287)

Peoples 01-20-2004 09:15 AM

Philly looking fo D

Flyers looking to trade for defense
By Tim Panaccio
Inquirer Staff Writer

The Flyers thought they could get by. Now general manager Bob Clarke says he must trade for a defenseman.

It was bad enough losing Eric Desjardins for two months to a broken arm, but the team has learned that Marcus Ragnarsson has a sprained rotator cuff in his left shoulder. Both were hurt during Saturday's 4-0 win in Toronto.

Tape of the game showed that Ragnarsson tripped over goalie Robert Esche's stick and fell on his shoulder. He was not hurt by a Toronto player, as first suspected. In that game, Desjardins fractured his right forearm in a collision with teammate Jeremy Roenick and the Maple Leafs' Mats Sundin.

On Jan. 6, Roenick took a shot in the face during practice, which means four Flyers have been hurt by four of their own over the last two weeks.

"I don't recall losing three defensemen in three days," Clarke said yesterday. The third defenseman is Dennis Seidenberg, injured Thursday by Ragnarsson.

"We're going to get somebody; I don't know who yet," Clarke said. "I talked to a lot of teams. There are a few guys around. Mostly, what you are talking about right now is a stopgap guy. No one has come out [offering] a top-four defenseman yet. I don't know if that will happen. Then you are talking a different ball game."

Clarke said that he had spoken with several clubs about NHL players who aren't "impact" defensemen but that he would prefer to get an impact player, because Desjardins is a No. 1 defenseman.

For the time being, Jim Vandermeer and John Slaney have been called up from the Phantoms and are expected to be in the lineup for tonight's game against the Montreal Canadiens.

Former Flyer Dmitry Yushkevich, who was not signed by the club over the summer, is playing in Russia. Clarke asked Yushkevich's agent, Mark Gandler, about the feasibility of signing him but was told the Russian Hockey League would want compensation.

"We wouldn't be interested in doing that," Clarke said.

So, who might be available? Well, if you look at teams that are not in the playoff hunt, here are some possibilities:

Anaheim's Todd Simpson is playing 14 minutes a game for a team that won't make it. Florida lost Jay Bouwmeester to an injury, but it's possible that Lyle Odelein (15 minutes a game) is available. Carolina's Bob Boughner is a tough defenseman in the Flyers' defensive mold and is playing only 15 minutes a night. The New York Islanders were looking to move Roman Hamrlik, but it's not likely they will trade him to the Flyers. Columbus' Darryl Sydor is minus-16 but scheduled to be paid $3.2 million next season.

"Every team has injuries," Clarke said. "Every team is short something. Most teams are not real deep on defense to give up a top-four guy. We have not had any indication any team would give up a top-four guy. Something will break, I'm sure."

Goalie ailing. Jeff Hackett apparently is suffering from vertigo and missed practice. The club is not sure whether he has an inner-ear infection, but doesn't expect him back in goal tonight.

Antero Niittymaki practiced with the Flyers yesterday and will back up Robert Esche tonight.

Coach Ken Hitchcock said for the foreseeable future, Esche will be his starter.

Loose pucks. Patrick Sharp, who played well in a recent six-game stint after a call from the Phantoms, went back to the AHL team. He is on a two-way contract and the move was strictly financial. You could make the case that Sharp was playing better than Radovan Somik, but Somik has an NHL contract and would cost the Flyers more money to send down... . A new defensive pairing with Desjardins out will be Chris Therien and Eric Weinrich. Hitchcock said his pairs will change... . Vandermeer suffered a fractured orbital bone over his left eye in a fight while he was playing for the Phantoms. That's why he is wearing a shield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russeltown 01-20-2004 09:22 AM

Let's trade Rivet to them! :handclap:

Darz 01-20-2004 09:24 AM

I know at one time last year Clarke was supposablely interested in Rivet. Maybe a good game by Craig tonight will get the old rumor mill a churning.

Maxpac 01-20-2004 02:44 PM

well, this chat is busted, flyers just grab Markov from the canes.

Team_Spirit 01-20-2004 02:48 PM

Good deals for Philly , Markov is a warrior and he's a rock on d . I think he could blossom with a winning team like Philly .

They still have Gagne , Comrie , Richards , Carter ...

RE-HABS 01-20-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
well, this chat is busted, flyers just grab Markov from the canes.

Not anymore, Vandermeer seperated his shoulder tonight meaning the Flyers still need a Dman.

BLONG7 01-20-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Not anymore, Vandermeer seperated his shoulder tonight meaning the Flyers still need a Dman.

On a hit by.... Saku Koivu!!!! Just imagine if Saku was 6'3, 210lbs, he would be scary!!!

CrAzYNiNe 01-20-2004 09:38 PM

Send Dykhuis back for future considerations, aka dykhuis traded for dykhuis

Mike8 01-20-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS

Not really. Philly's defense is as follows:

1. Desjardins
2. Johnsson
3. Ragnarsson
4. Weinrich
5. Markov
6. Pitkanen
7. Vandermeer
8. Therien
9. Seidenberg

Desjardins, Seidenberg, Rag and Vandermeer are out, so Therien will play and a callup will play. Likely Slaney or Jones.

I forgot about Ragnarsson being injured (just starting to watch the game), but I don't think this is enough to bring in a higher priced player like Dykhuis.

loudi94 01-20-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Send Dykhuis back for future considerations, aka dykhuis traded for dykhuis

Without getting too far ahead of myself, I wonder if we want to help a potential playoff opponent at this point? Let them flounder.

Physical HABuse 01-20-2004 11:56 PM

I ask everyone.....if we send Dykhuis to Philly.......are we really helping Philly or helping ourselves more?

Darz 01-21-2004 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
On a hit by.... Saku Koivu!!!! Just imagine if Saku was 6'3, 210lbs, he would be scary!!!

He would be upstoppable. Although if he was 6'3" 210 lbs he wouldn't of been available at spot number 21 in the '93 draft, so.....