HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   oneil on the block (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45291)

Habitants 01-20-2004 10:21 AM

oneil on the block

rumor has jeff oneil on the block. and there are some ppl who thinkj he would look good in MTL, including me. does anyone know how much he is gettign paid? he could really help us with some offence in the playoffs. question is who can we deal for him, and will he fit in on one of teh top lines? what do you guys think?

Darz 01-20-2004 10:29 AM

I would love to see the habs acquire O'Neill. Imo, he would be a perfect fit with Koivu and Ryder on the top line.
The problem in acquiring him though is the Hurricanes are going to want a kings ransom in return, especially becuase I would assume alot of teams would be interested in acquiring his services. Also Carolina management has stated they would like to add some offense in trade, so unless we move Zednik I can't see how we can help them.

Dragon 01-20-2004 10:41 AM

O'Neill will at least cost you a Komisarek, a Kastsitsyn or a Perezhogin.
I just don't see how the Canes will deal O'Neill for anything less than that.

So my answer would be no to O'Neill

Joe Malone 01-20-2004 10:58 AM

Surprise, surprise.....the Leafs want O'Neill.

From TSN:

Team President and GM Jim Rutherford told The Team 1200 radio in Ottawa Tuesday morning that he expects to complete a trade today.

Rutherford told reporters on Monday that he would try to "salvage" the season and would like to change his "mix of forwards".

The Toronto Star reported on Tuesday that Jeff O'Neill was on the verge of begin dealt, and that the Maple Leafs were in the running.

goalchenyuk 01-20-2004 11:08 AM

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: J.P. Giglio reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford maintains he'll try to "salvage the season" with a trade. Giglio writes Rutherford would like to "change his mix of forwards" and may shop one or two of his defencemen to do so. Giglio also noted three current Hurricanes blueliners - Glen Wesley, Sean Hill and Bob Boughner - don't have contracts for next season which could attract interest from other clubs. The reporter noted Bret Hedican's deal runs to 2008 and has a no-trade clause, Aaron Ward's runs to 2006 and Danny Markov's also has two years remaining. Rutherford went through considerable trouble to land Markov so Giglio believes he may not be traded.

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH: Derrick Gould reports the Blues have been in contact with the Hurricanes but it's not known how recently or who's been discussed.

Spector's Note: Wesley, Hill and Boughner could very well attract interest from playoff clubs seeking blueline depth. Wonder if Flyers GM Bob Clarke has made a call?

Markov would be someone interesting to get ...a markov/markov defensive line ...wow ! but not seems that they are going to trade him

Marc the Habs Fan 01-20-2004 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Surprise, surprise.....the Leafs want O'Neill.

From TSN:

Team President and GM Jim Rutherford told The Team 1200 radio in Ottawa Tuesday morning that he expects to complete a trade today.

Rutherford told reporters on Monday that he would try to "salvage" the season and would like to change his "mix of forwards".

The Toronto Star reported on Tuesday that Jeff O'Neill was on the verge of begin dealt, and that the Maple Leafs were in the running.

too bad they have nothing to trade. :joker:

Unless Carlo C is not viewed as god in TO anymore... :joker:

8b 01-20-2004 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitants
does anyone know how much he is gettign paid?

Compensation: 2003/04 $3,700,000.00
(source: NHLPA)

kevinr 01-20-2004 11:12 AM

Pierre Maguire said on The Team 990 this morning that O'Neill should be avoided. Apparently he knows something from his years in that organization. A big, tough goal-scorer for the top line instead of Bulis would be great. That would free up Bulis to go back where he's most effective.....on the checking line. I'd be willing to give up prospects like Hossa, Plekanec, Hainsey or even Perezhogen, but not another top 6 forward off the NHL roster. Before I get ripped for saying this consider that a true power forward is not something Montreal has had any success drafting or acquiring. There is no one of that description in the system. It's one of the very few things I'd be willing to trade a front-line pospect to get.

Darz 01-20-2004 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinr
Pierre Maguire said on The Team 990 this morning that O'Neill should be avoided. Apparently he knows something from his years in that organization.

Well unless he can be specific about a reason, that sounds like pure crap to me. Maguire hasn't been in the organization for awhile now, so......

goalchenyuk 01-20-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
too bad they have nothing to trade. :joker:

Unless Carlo C is not viewed as god in TO anymore... :joker:

i read somwhere ( i didn't find the link ) that toronto's offer started with Antropov + another player...

goalchenyuk 01-20-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinr
Pierre Maguire said on The Team 990 this morning that O'Neill should be avoided. Apparently he knows something from his years in that organization. .

...so we don't have any chance to get him : New-York are going to win the run ! :D

ttnorm 01-20-2004 11:33 AM

I have said this before, but I think in 2-3 years that Higgins will be what O'Neill is now. Not that it would be a bad thing to have 2 O'Neill's on one team. :D

Dragon 01-20-2004 11:33 AM

The Canes traded Markov for Williams

Mike8 01-20-2004 11:34 AM

If Montreal were to deal for O'Neill, I'd expect Markov to be on the move.

I don't think Montreal will deal for O'Neill. I'd be shocked.

Edit: I was right about Markov being part of the deal, just from the wrong side and with the wrong teams involved! :p

Weird trade for Philly and Carolina. The Canes give up their best defenseman and Philly gives up their hardest working forward who brings some speed and creativity.

It's a fairly even deal value-wise, I suppose. Just seems like an awful lot for Carolina to give up considering how good Markov has been for them this season.

Habruti! 01-20-2004 03:44 PM

I do not wnat Oneil, I think that Ryder today is just as good if not better then Oneil, pluys with the wingers we have in the system (Balej, Perezhogin and Kastsitsyn) we could say that next year this position will be filled by a rookie. The weakest link in our top two lines is Bulis IMO but then again there is no telling that the future philosophie of the team will be to have three strong offensive line who can also play the defensive system properly...and if that is the philosophy then I am more the happy with Bulis on the top line.

Oneil is expensive for what he would bring and unfortunatly he is no UFA at the end of the season. Unelss we would do a 1-1 trade with Perreault I would have no intention in acquiring such a player.

GhostOfTheForum 01-20-2004 03:46 PM

well

it may not be over yet

Maxpac 01-20-2004 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!
I do not wnat Oneil, I think that Ryder today is just as good if not better then Oneil.

you beat me to it, that's what i was going to say, we already have an O'neil type of player in Ryder, what we need is a speedy winger with talent for Saku's line.

Ryder-Saku-?

IMO Balej's the answer.

Ans as for Bulis, he should go back were he belongs, at the checking line, the only problem is, that line currently sucks, i think that if we should make a trade, it's to get rid of anybody on the 3rd line. What would you rather see, a Ward-Higgins-Bulis line or Dack-Juneau- Sundstrom line. having 3 line that can score would be cool.