HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   The official University of Michigan thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=452953)

Bob Probert Owns You 12-11-2007 06:55 PM

The official University of Michigan thread
 
I didn't see a Maize & Blue thread so I thought I would remedy that situation.

#1 in the country, eh? Well, I am ready for another dominant Michigan team. Victories over BC, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are extremely nice! With the status of Michigan's Football HC screwed to all heck I am sure glad we have someone of Red Berenson's caliber running the hockey team.

This could be the year for another championship! Thoughts on Michigan's chances to win the Frozen Four?

GO BLUE!!! :yo:

MHNet 12-12-2007 10:07 AM

Wins over BC, BU, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are all good on paper, but all of them are struggling to some degree this season, too.

The 2nd half of the season will be much more telling than the first half. Michigan hasn't play any of the conference top dogs yet. It's great to see that they won the games they should have won (well, save for that Ohio State letdown) to finish 16-2-0 in the first half, whereas last season they finished the first half 12-7-0 and lost a lot of games they shouldn't have.

In January they have a pair against Notre Dame and Michigan State back-to-back, then in February a pair at Miami and another series against Michigan State. No doubt they are going to get tested!

My concern right now is the long break. They don't play for 20 days, which is a long time. I hope the kids don't slack off in their time off. Plus they lose four players for the World Juniors, then they have the week after the GLI off. I worry that by the time the team is fully back together in January they might have to regain their chemistry and game form. Too much rest can be a negative, IMO.

Definitely been a first half of pleasant surprises, though :)

Bob Probert Owns You 12-12-2007 05:34 PM

I agree with your concerns. But if there is one coach who can keep his team's eyes focused on the prize, it's Red Berenson. I attended a hockey camp of his in the 90s and he was an amazing motivator.

Though we are losing some top-flight talent to the World Juniors, our senior leadership should (fingers crossed) keep things in line. Porter is flat out dominating the game right now and I don't see any reason for that to end, unless Mad Max is completely responsible for the top line's success, which I sincerely doubt.

I cannot wait for the MSU games. Sparty needs to go down.

MHNet 12-12-2007 06:21 PM

GLI will be interesting without the four guys. I wonder if Red will roll three lines instead of four (or very sparingly play the fourth).

Porter and Kolarik will do all they can, but that will be interesting to watch, too. One of the things they've mentioned is how Max is a big physical body who creates space for them. With Patch gone, I wonder who they will replace him with, and if Porter and Kolarik will have to change their style a bit to compensate for not having that big body.

RabidBadger 12-12-2007 09:11 PM

I made the comment in another thread that I'm surprised there isn't a Michigan thread here: Wolverine fans are ubiquitous everywhere in the country (or cyberspace).

I'm surprised as anyone how well this team is doing given the losses from last year. I'm pretty sure no one has them as a frozen four pick in that thread. If NoDak isn't on the horizon in the tourney then things may turn out well for MI.

I agree with the sentiment that the wins over BC, WI and MN must be pretty sweet for Wolverine fans; but those teams are, at best, 2nd tier this year. I think this team will put together a successful year with a 2nd round or frozen four loss. My gut tells me Billy Sauer is this year's version of Jeff Frazee last year. I just don't think he is the guy to take them all the way. I'm sure this statement will make MI fans puke, but the Wolverines seem to be a mirror image of last season's Gophers: Near the top in the rankings all year, a talented mix of young guns with some good veteran leadership and successful, but suspect goaltending.

Bob Probert Owns You 12-12-2007 09:48 PM

Oh man, I really, truly, sincerely hope that Sauer is not Frazee. I am going to school at Minnesota and I catch a few Goph games, especially when UM is in town, and Frazee is putrid a lot of nights.

Here is the question I pose to everyone. Who is more important to their team and who would you rather have on your college roster right now.... Porter or Okposo?

Oilers Chick 12-12-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You (Post 11593132)
I agree with your concerns. But if there is one coach who can keep his team's eyes focused on the prize, it's Red Berenson. I attended a hockey camp of his in the 90s and he was an amazing motivator.

Though we are losing some top-flight talent to the World Juniors, our senior leadership should (fingers crossed) keep things in line. Porter is flat out dominating the game right now and I don't see any reason for that to end, unless Mad Max is completely responsible for the top line's success, which I sincerely doubt.

I cannot wait for the MSU games. Sparty needs to go down.

Red's a great guy and he just oozes maize and blue. I see him every summer at the Snoopy Tournament.

While it's very impressive what the team has done to this point of the season, one thing I'll say is this - I can almost guarantee you that the Wolverines would not be where they're at right now without the leadership of Porter and Kolarik. Those guys, especially Porter, are the glue that holds the team together. There's a reason why so many people have Porter as the early Hobey favorite...all you have to do look at his numbers, and more importantly, his leadership and value to his team.

As for the upcoming GLI, it should be a good one to watch. Both Michigan and MSU are playing very well right now, but the surprise might be Providence College. Don't laugh, they're a vastly improved team this season, with Tyler Sims returning to his freshman year form. The Friars have already beaten UMass, swept Maine up in Orono and most recently, kicked the crap outta Brown to claim the Mayor's Cup. Whichever team plays PC can definitely except one thing....their goalie will be facing a lot of rubber. In their last few games, the Friars have averaged between 35-42 SOGs per game.

naihlflames 12-13-2007 07:22 AM

Michigan has been a very pleasant surprise this year. With all of the lost talent, the high number of freshman, and Sauer struggling the past few seasons; my expecations for Michigan were as low as they have ever been. I really did not expect them to even be in contention for the CCHA this year.

Kudos to Red. My vote for Coach of the Year.

Bob Probert Owns You 12-13-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick (Post 11599906)
As for the upcoming GLI, it should be a good one to watch. Both Michigan and MSU are playing very well right now, but the surprise might be Providence College. Don't laugh, they're a vastly improved team this season, with Tyler Sims returning to his freshman year form. The Friars have already beaten UMass, swept Maine up in Orono and most recently, kicked the crap outta Brown to claim the Mayor's Cup. Whichever team plays PC can definitely except one thing....their goalie will be facing a lot of rubber. In their last few games, the Friars have averaged between 35-42 SOGs per game.

Well, let's hope Sparty has to play PC first, then! :)

MHNet 12-13-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You (Post 11608653)
Well, let's hope Sparty has to play PC first, then! :)

Nope, we do!

Bob Probert Owns You 12-19-2007 02:29 AM

Just got my tix for the GLI today... hopefully U of M can take down PC. Though, the moderator did get me somewhat worried about the ease of winning the first game. I still think we will be matched up with Sparty in the finals and that will be one **** of a game! GO BLUE!!

CapsWolverinesUSA 12-20-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You (Post 11598632)

Here is the question I pose to everyone. Who is more important to their team and who would you rather have on your college roster right now.... Porter or Okposo?

Personally, I don't think this is even a close call. Okposo is not a consistent player. He's great one night, and then invisible the next. He projects as a better NHL player maybe, but Kevin Porter is clearly the most valuable player in NCAA hockey this year and Okposo isn't top 10. Probably not top 20. Not only are Porter's numbers outstanding, and vastly superior to Okposo (almost triple, in the same number of games), but he brings a huge leadership quality to the table.

Plus, Porter is actually ON his team still. That sort of matters.

Maxpac 12-20-2007 09:37 AM

do you guys think Porter will be playing in the NHL next season? he's drafted by Pheonix right?

Bob Probert Owns You 12-20-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 11703884)
Personally, I don't think this is even a close call. Okposo is not a consistent player. He's great one night, and then invisible the next. He projects as a better NHL player maybe, but Kevin Porter is clearly the most valuable player in NCAA hockey this year and Okposo isn't top 10. Probably not top 20. Not only are Porter's numbers outstanding, and vastly superior to Okposo (almost triple, in the same number of games), but he brings a huge leadership quality to the table.

Plus, Porter is actually ON his team still. That sort of matters.

Ha ha, well at the time of my question Okposo was still on the Gophers, in all fairness.

As for Porter being in the NHL next year... I think he will probably have to start in the AHL and prove himself there, too, which I don't think will be too terribly difficult given his insane work ethic.

Anyone catch Porter at the Wings/Kings game watching Jack Johnson... oh to have JJ back on the blueline... Michigan would be even more ridiculous!!

Bluefan75 12-22-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You (Post 11705812)
Ha ha, well at the time of my question Okposo was still on the Gophers, in all fairness.

As for Porter being in the NHL next year... I think he will probably have to start in the AHL and prove himself there, too, which I don't think will be too terribly difficult given his insane work ethic.

Anyone catch Porter at the Wings/Kings game watching Jack Johnson... oh to have JJ back on the blueline... Michigan would be even more ridiculous!!

Cogliano would look good up front as well.....

Glad to see that Sauer has really improved his play this year. I hate to criticize college kids for their play, and he got a lot of flak the last couple seasons. It's been good to see.

Bob Probert Owns You 12-25-2007 12:19 AM

Yeah, as scary as it seems I think U of M will only go as far as Sauer allows. If he can become a top 10 college goaltender then this team can go deep, IMO.

MHNet 12-28-2007 06:25 PM

Well, we played like crap early on, got badly outshot, but capitalized on our chances, shook off the rust, and got stronger as the game went on to beat Providence 6-0.

The Friars outshot U-M 16-3 in the first period, but Michigan came away with a 2-0 lead. It was 5-0 at the end of the 2nd, and Travis Turnbull scored in the third. Kevin Porter had a goal and assist.

Billy Sauer made 48 saves for his fourth career shutout :handclap:

Bob Probert Owns You 12-28-2007 07:49 PM

That game really should not have turned out as it did. Providence came to play and was rather unfortunate. Sauer looked great. Tomorrow at 7:30, it's on, GO BLUE!

MHNet 12-28-2007 09:34 PM

Michigan vs. Michigan... TECH in the championship game tomorrow night. The Huskies upset Michigan State, 4-1. The Spartans did not look good tonight.

Bob Probert Owns You 12-29-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHNet (Post 11798678)
Michigan vs. Michigan... TECH in the championship game tomorrow night. The Huskies upset Michigan State, 4-1. The Spartans did not look good tonight.

This is a much better match-up for us. I am amped to see this live. I am feeling a GLI Championship in the works. My prediction? 5-2 Blue, with Porter getting a hat trick. GO BLUE!

Shoalzie 12-29-2007 03:34 PM

Lots of great storylines for this season up to this point...

Kolarik & Porter: Seniors providing leadership and scoring
The Freshmen Class: Palushaj, Pacioretty among others coming in and contributing right away
Big Wins: Getting wins early on against Boston College, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Boston U.

But I think the most encouraging thing of this whole season has been the play of Sauer in net. This was a guy I had no faith in going into the season but he's completely turned it around. 15-2 record and a sub-2.00 GAA including 2 shutouts and 50 save shutout last night against the Friars. I think he's emerged a goalie who can take this team far in the tournament. It's what has killed Michigan in the recent years...goaltending not coming up big in the postseason.

Bob Probert Owns You 12-29-2007 07:41 PM

Closely played game up to this point. Michigan is dominating the physical battles. Miters lit up a Tech player. The longer this game stays so close the more worried I become... :shakehead

Dakota Sioux 12-29-2007 07:51 PM

Score?

Bob Probert Owns You 12-29-2007 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux (Post 11811094)
Score?

0-0 with 4:00 left to play in the 3rd. Tech is playing a great defensive game.

EDIT: 0-0 going to OT... :shakehead

RabidBadger 12-29-2007 08:55 PM

No matter what happens; what an awesome series by Tech faring so well against the 2 of the CCHA's best.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.