HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick Handling Myths (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=454270)

Z-Diddy 12-14-2007 05:22 PM

Stick Handling Myths

The old "stick handling control comes from your top hand on your stick"

So if Im right handed I using the majority of the time my left to activly move the puck back and forth?

Is this completely true or do some NHLers use a balance of both?

saveourpens 12-14-2007 05:27 PM

your dominant hand is "supposed" to be on top, but there are advantages and disadvantages, such as having a weaker shot.

Phoenix 12-14-2007 10:13 PM

I'm right handed and I have my left hand on top (right shot), but I cannot imagine how I could possibly get the same level of stick control if I were to have my right hand on top. But then, so many people do so obviously it does work!

I used to think hockey as a sport had a strangely-very high proportion of left-handers, until I realised this. :sarcasm::naughty::)

Marns 12-17-2007 07:06 AM

Yeah I'm the same as you phoenix, right-hander who shoots right. It's just about what feels right.
I sometimes muck around at training and shoot left, and you notice the difference having the dominant hand at the top. More strength. But I feel comfortable shooting right, and feel very unco shooting left.

BladesOfTeal 12-17-2007 07:13 AM

I'm a righty who shoots left- always have. More than anything, it's just what feels natural, then you develop it.

CorpseFX 12-17-2007 07:58 AM

righty who shoots righty and my shot/handling is fine, so is my brothers.
i think thats all BS.

Ti-girl 12-17-2007 10:23 AM

Righty who shoots left.

My brother is a lefty who shoots right...

spoon* 12-17-2007 01:48 PM

Lefty who shoots right

West 12-17-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z-Diddy (Post 11627389)
The old "stick handling control comes from your top hand on your stick"

So if Im right handed I using the majority of the time my left to activly move the puck back and forth?

Is this completely true or do some NHLers use a balance of both?

Long and short of it is that keeping your dominant hand at the end of the stick gives you a far greater and more comfortable range of motion. Most of the best stick handling moves are based strongly on moving the puck as far away from the defender as possible will maintaining control.

If your top hand is the strong one you should be able to have a fair bit of control even one handed. Dominant hand on the bottom tends to be far stronger on the puck with a much more limited range of motion.

I used to practice alot with both sticks and found that my shot was noticably harder right handed stick but I had much more accuracy and ablity to roof the puck with a left handed stick.

p.s. I'm right handed and mostly use a left handed stick. So that may explain the extra shot control but personally believe it's more than that.

Jarick 12-18-2007 09:53 AM

I'm right-handed and play lefty. I was one of only a few players growing up who were lefties for some odd reason. It was impossible to find lefty sticks too. Now most of the guys I play with are lefty and it's a 50-50 split for equipment.

My roommate's right-handed and plays righty. He works on stick handling more than I do, seems that it might come a bit more natural to me, but I don't know if there's a huge difference.

BigBearnier 12-18-2007 10:44 AM

I'm a righty who shoots left... Only reason I used a left stick was because when i grew up I used my Dads old hockey stick, who shoots left...

Only problem I've had with it is that I also play soccer, but I shoot right, so on my slapshots, sometimes my footwork gets messed up...

McNasty 12-18-2007 10:46 AM

I'm a righty who shoots right, mostly cause I played baseball before hockey. However for those of you who don't believe it pick up a stick and stick handle with one hand, I'll gaurantee you have better control with the top hand then the bottom.

Doriath 12-18-2007 11:29 AM

Lefty that plays right-handed. It's just always been more comfortable that way. I used to use my bottom hand a lot in my stickhandling, but a few years back I started working on just using my top hand by sliding an empty toilet paper roll down the stick and holding it in my bottom hand. My stickhandling has vastly improved since then, but I'm still no puck wizard. I just don't practice as much as I used to.

Roy G Biv* 12-18-2007 11:47 AM

I'm a righty shooting left..

How is it "supposed" to work with golf?

WhipNash27 12-18-2007 12:24 PM

Righty playing right here. I can't even control the puck if I try to go lefty. It feels very uncomfortable to me. Then again it's probably because the first stick my dad bought for me was a righty stick ;).

lemieux32* 12-18-2007 04:01 PM

You know reading this you guys make it sound like shooting "righty" means having your right hand on top of the stick, meaning the curve of the blade goes from left to right, yet if you look at sticks, a right handed stick has a curve going right to left. This would mean the right hand should be lower on the stick.

It Kills Me 12-18-2007 04:30 PM

Righty that shoots left. When I try shooting right, it doesn't feel right. For some reason I bat left too.

ower 12-18-2007 04:35 PM

So how does this translate if you're ordering stick online? I've always just got them at pro shops and never paid attention other then what felt right, but obviously you can find cheaper deals online. So when the stick is saying it's right/Mid/Datyuk(p38) for example.. does that mean left hand is going on top, or Right?

Doriath 12-18-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ower (Post 11680302)
So how does this translate if you're ordering stick online? I've always just got them at pro shops and never paid attention other then what felt right, but obviously you can find cheaper deals online. So when the stick is saying it's right/Mid/Datyuk(p38) for example.. does that mean left hand is going on top, or Right?

left-hand on top.

Ten 12-18-2007 08:54 PM

Righty that shoots right. Just feels normal (first stick I got had no curve too...)

Never heard that before though.

krax 12-19-2007 08:21 AM

Righty shooting left.

I know of two world class Russian players who are able to stick-handle and shoot both sides the same way. They had to learn in both ways.

Once heard this: working your bad side will improve the better one faster than working exclusively the better side.

sc37 12-19-2007 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 11676170)
I'm a righty who shoots right, mostly cause I played baseball before hockey. However for those of you who don't believe it pick up a stick and stick handle with one hand, I'll gaurantee you have better control with the top hand then the bottom.

I played baseball before hockey too, but I'm a righty shooting lefty. I learned to play with a stick with no curve when I started and found going lefty was more comfy. My dad who isn't a hockey person kept insisting I shoot right handed when I started....I'm guessing that idea trickles down to lots of youngsters too when their parents take them to the big-bog sporting goods store and some noob salesman would ask 'how do you play baseball' or something when selling them sticks.

Ti-girl 12-19-2007 09:21 AM

Yeah I grew up playing ball.

Bat right, shoot left. But my dad knew better.

That and I learnt how to bat switch so I could make the AAA team...

Biscuit Bullet 12-19-2007 09:26 AM

I bat and play golf lefty, but play hockey and lacrosse righty. Weird.

Harv 12-30-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krax (Post 11691167)
I know of two world class Russian players who are able to stick-handle and shoot both sides the same way. They had to learn in both ways.

Once heard this: working your bad side will improve the better one faster than working exclusively the better side.

I'll back this.

I'm a righty shooting right. When I was little, I had an alright shot, just average in stick skills and picking where I want to shoot.

When I started playing goalie, I was forced to learn to shoot left handed because I caught with my left hand. After about 5 years of shooting left handed with a goalie stick, I was able to pick up a left handed stick and shoot no problem with in. Then I would pick up a right handed stick and just be super fast with my shots and where I wanted them. My wrist shots we're way harder along with snap shots.

If someone gave me a left handed stick to shot with, I could it no problem. Not above average, but a normal shot. Now if someone gives a right handed stick, I can tear up with shots with fine accuracy. Alot better than people that have been shooting on side their whole lives.

So what I'm trying to say is that, yes, I feel that having to learn to shoot left handed, made my right handed shot that much better.