HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ryder = Calder trophy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45438)

Marc the Habs Fan 01-20-2004 08:37 PM

Ryder = Calder trophy

There's just no way around it. 7 point lead over Hunter. 1 goal behind him for the rookie goal scoring lead. Who cares how young Bergeron is? the award is for the best ROOKIE not the youngest one doing the best. Ryder is playing unreal hockey since late November. At this point, he MUST be the favorite for the award.

RE-HABS 01-20-2004 08:53 PM

I really hope he keeps it up, what a deserving award (Calder) for all of the hard work he has done since making the Hull Oympiques as a walk on to making to the NHL.
Great stuff Ryder!

He is the model your prospects should be looking at if you are a late round pick or any pick for that matter. It takes a player with his courage, heart and never say die attitud that gets you where he is today.

All you boys in Hamilton, the ECHL, CHL and over in Europe look at Ryder and learn to play with a love of the game...it may get you there someday too!

Habber 01-20-2004 08:54 PM

Agreed.

That's 9 points in his last 5 games and 15 in his last 9. He's looking better and better every game while all the other rookies are starting to fade.

BLONG7 01-20-2004 09:09 PM

Ryder has been awesome!!!!

goalchenyuk 01-20-2004 09:11 PM

you guys don't give enought credit to JONI PITKANEN .This defenser is also on the run, don't forget him

Histrion 01-20-2004 09:14 PM

Raycroft too..

Pitkanen would be my winner I think. He's on pace for something like 30 points and he is a very good d-man already.

Team_Spirit 01-20-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
you guys don't give enought credit to JONI PITKANEN .This defenser is also on the run, don't forget him

yep last year Jackman won the Calder so the league also consider d-mans . But i think Jackman was a bit superior last than Pitkanen this year :dunno:

HabsoluteFate 01-20-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awesome`
Raycroft too..

Pitkanen would be my winner I think. He's on pace for something like 30 points and he is a very good d-man already.

Sad that the possible rookie of the year wont even be at the young star's game
the NHL is a joke

jonny5 01-20-2004 09:20 PM

Ryder truly is awesome, he is playing with more and more intensity every game. Too bad about the stupid rule of not playing in the Young Guns game just because he has had two pro contracts. He is only 23yrs. old and he is still a rookie. Isn't that what the Young Guns game is all about, show casing the up and coming talent in the NHL, showing the fans the young players to go to the rink and watch. Ryder is one of the best ( if not the best ) rookie in the NHL and the fans of the NHL deserve to see him in that game. Is there anyway us Habs fans can start a movement of some sorts towards the NHL to try and get them to waive this rule? Maybe an e-mail blitz or something!!!

goalchenyuk 01-20-2004 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
the NHL is a joke

pedneault said the other day that the league is considering to change the rule

RE-HABS 01-20-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
yep last year Jackman won the Calder so the league also consider d-mans . But i think Jackman was a bit superior last than Pitkanen this year :dunno:

I agree he pretty much stepped in there and took over for the absence of Pronger. He was a very valuable player to the team the same as Ryder is to the Habs. With or without Hunter the Isles would be doing how they are, but Ryder gives the Habs stabilty on their top two lines making a difference overall. And Pitkanen is good, but with Johnnson, Desjardins, Therrian and now Markov he was never the top 4 man.

I think Ryder is the runaway Rookie right now.

Orange 01-20-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I think Ryder is the runaway Rookie right now.

Not sure 'bout that. I think Raycroft is right there with him right now ...

Natural Habs Fan 01-20-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Who cares how young Bergeron is? the award is for the best ROOKIE not the youngest one doing the best

I think the precedent was set when Makarov won the calder in 1990. I think he was 32.

Marc the Habs Fan 01-20-2004 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
I think the precedent was set when Makarov won the calder in 1990. I think he was 32.

Yes, I know. I was just adding the Bergeron part because many are saying he should win because he's doing well at 18 compared to the others who are older but like Ryder are doing better. Age shouldn't have anything to do with who wins IMO, it's the best ROOKIE period.

skoivu 01-20-2004 10:50 PM

im not 100% sure but wasnt nabokov 27 or 28 when he won it

Sonik 01-20-2004 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoivu

Belfour was 26.
Nabokov was 26.
Makarov was 32.
Stastny was 25.

They're all over Ryder's age. But, I might say that they are from another era... :dunno:

Spotnick 01-20-2004 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
the NHL is a joke

Well, Zetterberg (sp?) wasn't there last year either, neither was Andrei Markov, even if he was eligible...a

Habsaku 01-21-2004 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spotnick
Well, Zetterberg (sp?) wasn't there last year either, neither was Andrei Markov, even if he was eligible...a

For the last time, Markov WASN'T eligible, they even asked AS if he was, at the time, he was on his 2nd pro contract.

Darz 01-21-2004 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skoivu

Nabokov was 26 when he won the award, the cutoff for eligibility to win the award.

I think if the season was to end today, Ryder would be the Calder trophy winner, but personally if he didn't win I really wouldn't care. The only trophy I'm interested in is the Stanley Cup.

gohabsgo 01-21-2004 09:38 AM

Ryder's my favorite to win it. Though there can be strong cases made for both Raycroft and Pitkanen.

Ryder picked up three points last night in Montreal's 4-1 surprise win over Phili in 13:16 on the ice, and he was a +2 with 2 shots. On the season, this gives him 14-and-22-for-36, 5 of those goals coming on the PP, and is a +6 on the year. Pretty impressive stats for a player drafted in the 8th round (216th overall) in the 1998 draft, I'd say.

StanleyCH25 01-21-2004 11:42 AM

If Raycroft is eligible, he'd be a very close competition

Ryder: 36 pts (14 goals, 22 assists) and +6 in 47 games
Raycroft: 15W - 10L - 6T 2SO, GAA 2.00 and SV% .928

Both players are excelling in their current positions but honestly, I think Raycroft might be providing more to his team than Ryder is but that's just my opinion based on the value of goaltenders. If both players keep their pace, I would think it will be a pretty close vote on the Calder trophy. If one of them drops off in production, then the trophy will probably go to the other. If Ryder manages 25-30 goals, I would definately give him the Calder as the last player to get 30 or more was Selanne in '93. Heatley had 26 in '02 and Alfredsson had 26 in '96.

Still, it's really encouraging to see that we might have another Calder winner since the last one was Dryden 32 years ago.

Edit: corrected the listing of Dryden's Calder trophy :)

All-Star 01-21-2004 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patp77
Dryden 22 years ago

Give or take 10 years, right? :joker:

Guy Caballero 01-21-2004 11:58 AM

It will be close, but Raycroft will probably win. His stats are almost as good as Theodore's, and he might even have an outside shot at Vezina candidacy by the end of this year.

Here's hoping he's the next Jim Carey. Since he's never done anything in his pro (or junior) career up to this point, that's a pretty good bet.

Prrebel 01-21-2004 01:02 PM

Jim Carey

Don't forget other Boston goalie flops;
Blaine Lacher
John Blue
Matt Delgudise(sp)
Jim Craig
Norm Foster
Mike Bales

Guy Caballero 01-21-2004 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prrebel