HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Malone has infection in leg (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=456234)

WhipNash27 12-19-2007 04:45 PM

Malone has infection in leg
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3161812
Quote:

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Penguins forward Ryan Malone left the team Wednesday in Boston and returned to Pittsburgh to be treated by team doctors for an infected cut on his leg.
Anyone want to bet if it's because of dirty equipment? As they always say keep your stuff clean otherwise it could be bad news.

This has been a public service announcement ;).

OilerNut* 12-19-2007 04:49 PM

I better clean my equipment then. :amazed:

One of those things you never get around to, you know?

Bear of Bad News 12-19-2007 05:04 PM

Staph infections are becoming more of a big deal these days - definitely keep your equipment clean, and/or shower as soon as you can after hockey.

OilerNut* 12-19-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor No (Post 11697489)
Staph infections are becoming more of a big deal these days - definitely keep your equipment clean, and/or shower as soon as you can after hockey.

My equipment is pretty clean, I hang it up to dry afterwards along with showering afterwards. Some of the guys who leave their equipment in the trunk of their car all week, or in some damp garage all closed up. :shakehead

Grave77digger 12-19-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerNut (Post 11697576)
My equipment is pretty clean, I hang it up to dry afterwards along with showering afterwards. Some of the guys who leave their equipment in the trunk of their car all week, or in some damp garage all closed up. :shakehead

Yup thats me

OilerNut* 12-19-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave77digger (Post 11698152)
Yup thats me

:nono:

Joe Cole 12-20-2007 10:45 AM

Michael Rennberg almost had his finger amputated for the same reason, infection. He was tying his skates and cut his finger!

The bottomline is that these guys are constantly in an envirnoment with sweat and bacteria. You know that players get multiple cuts and abrasions hat could be an open door for infection.

The care of equipement and cleanliness that we see in pro locker rooms is not a luxury.

IHWR 12-20-2007 10:59 AM

I think Malone's infection has more to do with the lady company he keeps rather than the cleanliness of his gear.

xeric716x 12-20-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatewaderedden (Post 11705258)
I think Malone's infection has more to do with the lady company he keeps rather than the cleanliness of his gear.

ouch!

fogducker 12-20-2007 04:11 PM

you can die from those infections

OilerNut* 12-20-2007 04:17 PM

I don't think pro players actually have a problem with "dirty equipment"

Do you think the players actually clean the equipment themselves, they have equipment managers for that.

Crosbyfan 12-20-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerNut (Post 11708992)
I don't think pro players actually have a problem with "dirty equipment"

Do you think the players actually clean the equipment themselves, they have equipment managers for that.

Joe Thornton?

lotus 12-20-2007 11:18 PM

I really need to just drill a bunch of hooks into my garage wall or something to hang up my gear. I let it air out but there's not much room. This stuff scares me all the time =(

LilWinger11 12-21-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor No (Post 11697489)
Staph infections are becoming more of a big deal these days - definitely keep your equipment clean, and/or shower as soon as you can after hockey.

+1. And if you have any sort of scrape, cut, any kind of opening in your skin, (a few years ago, a basketball player at UCONN got a nasty staph infection that started with an ingrown hair on his leg) keep an antibiotic ointment on it and keep it covered.

Heat McManus 12-21-2007 07:52 PM

I think it was Mogilny who almost lost an appendage due to a cutting himself on his equipment.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 12-21-2007 09:06 PM

Is it MRSA?

Seth Lake 12-21-2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnerican (Post 11726727)
Is it MRSA?

MRSA is a synonym for a Staph infection. I don't know whether or not it is what Malone has, but it is growing extremely common nowadays and as has been repeated throughout this thread, you should really do your best to take proper care of your equipment.

XweekendwarriorX 12-21-2007 10:10 PM

I have a little cut on the top of my big toe i usally just put a bandaid on the cuts and play but idk y but i took out the bottle of new skin i have and used it on that ive done this before on bigger cuts but this one wasnt to bad but i didnt wanna take a chance.

OilerNut* 12-22-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX (Post 11727745)
I have a little cut on the top of my big toe i usally just put a bandaid on the cuts and play but idk y but i took out the bottle of new skin i have and used it on that ive done this before on bigger cuts but this one wasnt to bad but i didnt wanna take a chance.

I think cuts on your foot aren't as bad as hopefully you are wearing a clean pair of socks, unless your barefooting. Don't know how some people can play barefoot...

XweekendwarriorX 12-23-2007 07:45 PM

i always got a new pair of socks i never tried the barefoot but hear its awesome.

TheShoe82 12-24-2007 06:05 PM

Definately keep it clean. I had a nasty skin lesion on my hand for about 2 years, no doctor could find out what it was, but im guessing it was from my gloves (which I was occasionally but its hard to do when youre skating 12 hours a week).

Hunter Gathers 12-24-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX (Post 11727745)
I have a little cut on the top of my big toe i usally just put a bandaid on the cuts and play but idk y but i took out the bottle of new skin i have and used it on that ive done this before on bigger cuts but this one wasnt to bad but i didnt wanna take a chance.

You should probably just cut the toe off. Just in case.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.