HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Domino effect seems started... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45803)

Habruti! 01-21-2004 10:37 PM

The Domino effect seems started...

What is the domino effect...?

Well lets just start by saying it started towards the end of last year when Jason Ward joined the team. That is really when players could really start to grasp that hard work is rewarded in this organization. Then it was followed by Ryder who is stepping up to the plate but more so a guy that the organization rewarded for is hard work in hamilton last year (BTW I think that Ryder and Ward were two of our best players in Philly..). It then continued when BG backed up Patrice Brisebois a guy who had obviously worked out during the summer and was playing some good hockey for a change...

THe Domino effect is the effect of giving hope to your players hope that hard work and dedication will be rewarded somehow and this is just what is happening right now and fortunatly for us it seems to spread amongst the team and even amongs the veteran of this team. You can now be certain that guys like Balej and Plekanek have that hope and they will be given a chance next year.

This is all folks I think that is what was missing in montreal to develop our prospect and this is what organizations such has Colorado, Detroit, NJ and Ottawa seem to give to there prospect ..."Hope"..... Guess what that may be the difference between a Balej the ends up a bust in the NHL and one that ends up like a Calder candidate...Hard work and dedication is the key and seems like the management teem found the way to communicate the message.

Just my 2 cents of the day.

CrAzYNiNe 01-21-2004 10:41 PM

Ya I have noticed that too, I think the kids now realize they hav a reason to produce, and that BG will be fair, if you play wel you stay, if you suck you go.

On another note, domino effect sounds quite negative no? I mean dominoes fall, but we are on the rise, just my 2 cents.

RE-HABS 01-21-2004 10:54 PM

Last years hard working kids and rewarded for their efforts and dedication - Ward & Ryder.

This years players playing better and with a greater deal of dedication and players that will be in Montreal next season for it - Balej & Plekanec.

Next years success stories...Milroy and Higgins!
EDIT: Milroy because he too like Balej was injury prone and didn't really have a full first season to show what he can do, he too will be a bigger part in Hamilton because of the absence of Pleks and Balej to Montreal. Higgins has little to prove, just some seasoning. Perezoghtin is in the same catagory as Higgins, both may see Montreal as early as next season too.

Breenger 01-21-2004 10:56 PM

I really think that Claude Julien deserves a lot of credit for this. He has explaned exactly what he wants from a player, and what he will do if they do not do it. A good example is Riberio; when Julien told him shorten his shifts, and when he didn't, he was benched even though he was leading the team in scoring at the time. Julien took a lot of flack for this, but wasn't swayed, and as a result has commanded a lot of respect from his players. Now we have a team that have completely bought into "Claude Julien" hockey, and as a result, they are playing very good hockey.

RE-HABS 01-21-2004 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breenger
I really think that Claude Julien deserves a lot of credit for this. He has explaned exactly what he wants from a player, and what he will do if they do not do it. A good example is Riberio; when Julien told him shorten his shifts, and when he didn't, he was benched even though he was leading the team in scoring at the time. Julien took a lot of flack for this, but wasn't swayed, and as a result has commanded a lot of respect from his players. Now we have a team that have completely bought into "Claude Julien" hockey, and as a result, they are playing very good hockey.

CJ is the perfect coach for the Habs right now, he can coach and can give "Kids" a chance to play. Therrian wasn't that type and most older and seasoned NHL coaches aren't either unless your coaching an expansion team you really don't have a choice in the matter.

I think CJ's years in the CHL & AHL coaching and getting kids to the next level is a great help, it has let them succeed there too. Hainsey has said himself that CJ is a great teahcer and is more than willing to take you aside and tell you how to improve your game. Some players on teams don't even talk to the head coach, Chow himself said he never talked to Therrian in the first 2 months in Montreal last year one on one! If you don't have effective comunication and understanding on a team how can a team function properly? Hence the improvement under CJ when we fired Therrian!

Istvan 01-21-2004 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!

Well lets just start by saying it started towards the end of last year when Jason Ward joined the team. That is really when players could really start to grasp that hard work is rewarded in this organization. Then it was followed by Ryder who is stepping up to the plate but more so a guy that the organization rewarded for is hard work in hamilton last year (BTW I think that Ryder and Ward were two of our best players in Philly..). It then continued when BG backed up Patrice Brisebois a guy who had obviously worked out during the summer and was playing some good hockey for a change...

THe Domino effect is the effect of giving hope to your players hope that hard work and dedication will be rewarded somehow and this is just what is happening right now and fortunatly for us it seems to spread amongst the team and even amongs the veteran of this team. You can now be certain that guys like Balej and Plekanek have that hope and they will be given a chance next year.

This is all folks I think that is what was missing in montreal to develop our prospect and this is what organizations such has Colorado, Detroit, NJ and Ottawa seem to give to there prospect ..."Hope"..... Guess what that may be the difference between a Balej the ends up a bust in the NHL and one that ends up like a Calder candidate...Hard work and dedication is the key and seems like the management teem found the way to communicate the message.

Nicely put.

NWT Habs Fan 01-21-2004 11:23 PM

The other nice complementary piece in this puzzle is the fact that Hamilton has been a very strong winning team the last two years, with no end in sight as we have some great potential additions again next season. When the younger players learn that winning feeling, you come in wanting to win and knowing what it takes to win. All the callups will have that desire to win, and now it is clearly evident in the big club as well.

How lucky are we to have two coaches who also know how to win and develop young talent. CJ won at the CHL level and came real close in the AHL and WJC. Jarvis spent his career with two strong clubs rich in history of winning (Mtl and Dallas). These two both also preach accountability and work ethic, so the new prototypical Hab will be a treat to watch after some really lean years since 1993.

Quagmier 01-21-2004 11:51 PM

If you want the biggest difference when it comes to developing players successfully vs. unsuccessfully, here it is...
Winning!

Bringing a kid into a winning environment helps in every aspect of a prospects development. But just bringing them in is not enough, they need to be a part of the success. This to me was the habs biggest problem when it came to developing prospects in the past. Players either came into a winning atmosphere... and didn't play, or they were thrown onto a terrible team and would simply crack under the expectations of an impatient Montreal fanbase.

Michael Ryder: He started off the season fairly well, and with a little hard work actually worked himself up to the top line. The team starts playing winning hockey, Ryder learns from one of the games great players... and just like that he's leading all rookies in scoring.

If we can keep up this success through the season, then next year we could plug a hole or 2 with a young prospect, keeping our winning nucleus intact and showing a guy like Balej or Perezhogin what being a part of a winning NHL team feels like.

Another good example is Milan Hejduk. After the avs won the cup in 96, the following year i remember watching a game of theirs and seeing this young unknown on the top line with Sakic and Forsberg (I love when they play on the same line). anyways i was like WTF? who is this kid?!? well 6 years later he pots 50 and wins the Maurice.

WINNING IS KEY!!!

sandman08 01-21-2004 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habruti!

i agree with everything you said except for one thing about ottawa.. jacques martin is notoriously slow at bringing in rookies who are highly skilled regardless of if theyre going to make the team better or not.. ie spezz. look at how long he had to wait to get in... he lost his chance at the calder cuz his wait was too long (and he played in too many games in the mean time) its not a bad thing mind you cuz spezz is learning to play better at both ends is getting to be a better player every game (from what ive read) and is going to be a phenominal player in the league.. other than that.. ottawa i agree with lol

Mike8 01-22-2004 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quagmier
If you want the biggest difference when it comes to developing players successfully vs. unsuccessfully, here it is...
Winning!

Excellent post. I've been on board with that theory for awhile, and that's why I think Koivu's a key component to this rebuilding process. Souray's stepped up and made himself a key piece as well this year.

It's easy for a prospect to develop bad habits on a losing team.

Quagmier 01-22-2004 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Excellent post. I've been on board with that theory for awhile, and that's why I think Koivu's a key component to this rebuilding process. Souray's stepped up and made himself a key piece as well this year.

It's easy for a prospect to develop bad habits on a losing team.

and it's easy for a prospect to loose confidence when he's playing 4th line minutes on a good team, it's all about implementing rookies into your system rather than using them as spare parts

Ace2000 01-22-2004 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandman08
i agree with everything you said except for one thing about ottawa.. jacques martin is notoriously slow at bringing in rookies who are highly skilled regardless of if theyre going to make the team better or not.. ie spezz. look at how long he had to wait to get in... he lost his chance at the calder cuz his wait was too long (and he played in too many games in the mean time) its not a bad thing mind you cuz spezz is learning to play better at both ends is getting to be a better player every game (from what ive read) and is going to be a phenominal player in the league.. other than that.. ottawa i agree with lol

don't forget though that ottawa ahs always had depth and thats another reason why Jacques Martin had to wait so long. Too many centers. if i'm not mistaken, spezza wasn't even playing Center when he first came in,. only a bit later martin started using him at center no?