HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Looking Back at Carter Pisa for Dvorak Cross Deal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45807)

BDubinskyNYR17* 01-21-2004 10:52 PM

Looking Back at Carter Pisa for Dvorak Cross Deal

Well I can tell you this. Sather gotten beat by a GM who is starting out. I guess age is catching up to Sather.

Pisa too young for Rangers so he is in europe.

Carter has 15 points and -12
Dvorak has 27 points and +15
Cross has 14 points and +9

Hey Slats great trade :cry: . I can see how the other gms always say good doing busness with you Mr. Sather Real Men of Genius :rant:

GKJ 01-21-2004 11:03 PM

No one would have predicted that Cross would have 14 points though.

#37-#93-#27* 01-21-2004 11:06 PM

I did, I also predicted Carter would suck. I was wrong on Dvo scoring 60 goals though.

Melrose_Jr. 01-22-2004 08:56 AM

PIsa, Dvorak, who cares. But Cross was the most reliable blueliner on the team at the time of the trade and still would be today if he was here. How Sather thought downgrading the defense 4 weeks before the playoffs would improve the team is STILL beyond me.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-22-2004 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
PIsa, Dvorak, who cares. But Cross was the most reliable blueliner on the team at the time of the trade and still would be today if he was here. How Sather thought downgrading the defense 4 weeks before the playoffs would improve the team is STILL beyond me.

I agree MJ.

I was very vocal about getting rid of Dvorak (at one point I was ready to trade him for Chad Kilger :eek: ) but when the trade came down, I was most upset at getting rid of Cross.

Fletch 01-22-2004 10:03 AM

Looking back...

we had a very snakebitten Dvorak and his recovery was suspect. Not only that, we all questioned whether or not his 31 goal season was an aberration, and most came to the conclusion that is was. It's wonderful to quote stats comparing two guys on two different teams in two different situation, but there's no guarantee that had Dvorak remained a Ranger, playing with Nedved and Hlavac, that he too would be producing around the Carter level, and given the Carter treatment.

Second, it should not have hurt to have lost Cross. Cross was a steay, good #5/6 defenseman who played that role well. It should not have hurt because Pisa should've been given a chance and alleviate the pain somewhat.

What all this doesn't change is the fact that Sather would still be coaching, so it doesn't matter. Where would Cross play, with Leetch, Poti, Kaspar, deVries (likely still would've been signed), and M&M (Mironov being the choice, most likely, over Cross in Sather's mind). Ditto for Dvorak, who I liked a lot.

It's tough to succeed in New York when you have an owner, a coach, and a GM who are complete and utter idiots impeding the progress of what should be a decent team/organization if any of them had an inkling of a clue - which is very obvious they do not.

Bluenote13 01-22-2004 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Well I can tell you this. Sather gotten beat by a GM who is starting out. I guess age is catching up to Sather.

Pisa too young for Rangers so he is in europe.

Carter has 15 points and -12
Dvorak has 27 points and +15
Cross has 14 points and +9

Hey Slats great trade :cry: . I can see how the other gms always say good doing busness with you Mr. Sather Real Men of Genius :rant:

Obviosuly its this team. Dvorak couldn't score a point at MSG, but he outscores Carter because he finally got out of this awful place to a real NHL hockey team that plays a system under a real coach. We don't play NHL hockey here, because as you well know - Amity stands for 'Friendship'!

Melrose_Jr. 01-22-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
Second, it should not have hurt to have lost Cross. Cross was a steay, good #5/6 defenseman who played that role well. It should not have hurt because Pisa should've been given a chance and alleviate the pain somewhat.

I admittedly know very little about Pisa, but seems to me that he was not the type of defesemen this team could really use. Cross's abilities were more in line with the needs of the team. Whether Pisa got a fair shot is another argument. In terms of the deal, it made no sense to swap a defenseman for a offenseman regardless of age, contract status, value, whatever.