HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pierre Dorion on the 98 Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45860)

Peoples 01-22-2004 08:19 AM

Pierre Dorion on the 98 Draft
 
In this morning's La Presse……..

Pierre Dorion was highly criticized for the 98 Draft, many never forgave him with Chouinard instead of Gagné.
Simon was picked by the flyers 22 nd that year, and represented Canada in the 2001Salt Lake City Olympics.
Dorion mistake was a big one however subsequent picks are making him look like a guy with flair for talent.
Ribeiro 2nd, Markov 6th and Ryder 8 th.

Out of all the players pick that year Tanguay 10 th overall and Datsyuk ( a steal) have raked up more points then Ribs, Markov and Ryder this year.
Not only did Dorion corrected is mistake but he probably got the better harvest in 98 , Which team can advertise getting 3 impact players that year
New Jersey got Gomez , Mike Van Scott and Brian Gionta, Colorado had 4 first round Picks which heeled Tanguay, Skoula, Robin Regehr and Scott Parker all
Nhl regulars.
Dorion ….. I never tough Ribeiro would be available in the second round as he was listed 12 or 13 on my list and 15 th on the overall clubs list, while Chouinard and Gagné were
In the top 10 on that list as well……I was concern with Ribs skating however he rack up 125 point that year in the Q,,,,with great vision and playmaking ability. The Molson Ex really went down sweet that night once Ribs was taken with the 45 th pick.

I'm disappointed in having Chouinard a head of Gagné on my list that year , for Markov a lot of the credit most go to Pierre Mondou and Atonin Route are Europeen scoot…
In the case of Ribeiro and Ryder, Julien should get a lot of credit for making them the players they become, Ryder would not be in the NHL if it were not for Julien's teaching abilities.
Ryder was not big put he had a nice shot with a nose for the net.

Usually 2.5 players per team make the NHL from any given draft, team can have a better average by drafting 3 or 4 players to play on the 4 th line while not making you a better team...

NWT Habs Fan 01-22-2004 02:40 PM

The same week that we had an online analysis and discussion on the very same topic!!

All-Star 01-22-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
The same week that we had an online analysis and discussion on the very same topic!!

Those darn journalists are ripping off all our good stuff!!! :madfire:

Maithz 01-22-2004 11:00 PM

Seriously we can't blame scout , at the moment of the draft we can't know which prospect can be a bust or a super star , they take the best player available and if he turn into a bust its their fault :dunno:

#44_delivers 01-22-2004 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS-65
Seriously we can't blame scout , at the moment of the draft we can't know which prospect can be a bust or a super star , they take the best player available and if he turn into a bust its their fault :dunno:

like the article said its not just scouting its developtment.
i feel we have a good crew of scouts for the habs right now(well proven), but what i truely like about our organization is that our developtment system of young stars is perhaps the best in the league.
lots of quality people are involved with this team and thats a great thing.
also our last 3 years of draft picks have been very well, and who knows there might be a sleeper or two that come out of them. i wouldnt be shocked if the best player is someone we'd never guess.
in da case of datsyuk it took him a while but look how good he is now, incredible how players can developt faster and better then players picked in the top 10 even the top 5. sometimes even lower.

habitants9_4 01-23-2004 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
like the article said its not just scouting its developtment.
i feel we have a good crew of scouts for the habs right now(well proven), but what i truely like about our organization is that our developtment system of young stars is perhaps the best in the league.
lots of quality people are involved with this team and thats a great thing.
also our last 3 years of draft picks have been very well, and who knows there might be a sleeper or two that come out of them. i wouldnt be shocked if the best player is someone we'd never guess.
in da case of datsyuk it took him a while but look how good he is now, incredible how players can developt faster and better then players picked in the top 10 even the top 5. sometimes even lower.

I am afraid I can't agree with you there, we are getting to be one of the best but you must give credit to teams like Colorado, Detroit, New Jersey who built their teams from within, and constantly have players ready needing to be moved. You can also see the effects of Florida, Atlanta and Ottawa on the horizon. We are close to a top 5 in the league, but not yet the best. We do have a lot of young guns, that have good potential, but their just that until proven otherwise.

Madevilz 01-23-2004 01:18 AM

Quote:

I was concern with Ribs skating however he rack up 125 point that year in the Q
doesnt that awfuly sound like the Locke's case?
he cant skate everybody says

#44_delivers 01-23-2004 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitants9_4
I am afraid I can't agree with you there, we are getting to be one of the best but you must give credit to teams like Colorado, Detroit, New Jersey who built their teams from within, and constantly have players ready needing to be moved. You can also see the effects of Florida, Atlanta and Ottawa on the horizon. We are close to a top 5 in the league, but not yet the best. We do have a lot of young guns, that have good potential, but their just that until proven otherwise.

i dont think you understood what i meant, i didnt say anything about having best prospects, what i said waz we have perhaps the best quality of personel in scouting and prospect developtment right now, it takes alote longer then 3 years to really see how good our player developtment is, as most our crew is preatty new,
those teams you mention especialy detriot is the same crew of scouts for a long time and have been the best for a while, same with colorodo, but our organization went threw alote of cleaning of personel, the crew A S has brought iare very very respected and proven, but there picks are still fresh.
imho it takes a while,around 5 years to really know how you did in a draft year.
and im very confident a few sleepers will emerge out of our team just like Ryder did, he had a few distingushing flaws in his draft year, only to develop his game and make it. Markov is the other example,(we let him develop in russia, wich worked wonders).
what im saying is this team seems to have a good developtment crew, becuase its tough to developt a player like ryder to the one he is now, and im sure in the near future more of our lower picked prospects might pop out and surprise us, becuase of how well theyve developt.

we've come a long way from the houle days(no future)
we have timmons A. savard B.G and C.J, thats one hellava crew right there.
C.J waz well worth the 4th round draft pick we gave edmonton for him.

All-Star 01-23-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
C.J waz well worth the 4th round draft pick we gave edmonton for him.

5th... We didn't make the playoffs last year.

Guy Caballero 01-23-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madevilz
doesnt that awfuly sound like the Locke's case?
he cant skate everybody says

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I don't think you can have two guys like that on one team, though.

Darz 01-23-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples
In the case of Ribeiro and Ryder, Julien should get a lot of credit for making them the players they become, Ryder would not be in the NHL if it were not for Julien's teaching abilities.

I think this comment speaks volumes about Julien as a coach. For those who think Gainey deserves more credit than Julien for the teams turn around this year, please read the above quote again.

#44_delivers 01-23-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star
5th... We didn't make the playoffs last year.

yeah i know we didnt but do you honestly blame that on CJ?
i thought he's worth the 5th becuase i believe in the long run this coach is going to help alote of our players and prospects reach there potential fast and true.

NWT Habs Fan 01-23-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
yeah i know we didnt but do you honestly blame that on CJ?
i thought he's worth the 5th becuase i believe in the long run this coach is going to help alote of our players and prospects reach there potential fast and true.

A 5th round pick in compensation for a coach who has made magic out of the same core of players that essentially never played as a cohesive team last season is a steal!! This guy is the real deal and he gets the players, vets and rookies alike, to play up to their full potential.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.