HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is gainey going to make a trade to improuve our team before the deadline? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45904)

oli500 01-22-2004 10:23 AM

Is gainey going to make a trade to improuve our team before the deadline?

Personally I like our team the way it is but theire might be a couple players that would look interesting to add some scoring punch our some toughness. I just want to see wich of these 3 players that are available you would like to see in a blue-blanc-rouge sweather.

1.George Laraque - According to sporsneet Laraque might be available because his asking price his to high. Laraque in a hard place with Edmonton
2. Erik cole or Jeff O'neil - I read in the toronto sun that the hurricanes were not done dealing and that the markov trade was just the beginning of a fire sell. Whether this is true or not I wouldent mind getting any of those two players above.

Anyways I like the team how it is now but just out of curiosity I want to see who would you pick out of those 3 players to improuve our team. I just want to see youre opinions.

Me, I would love to see laraque in a hab sweather. can you imagine a 3rd line of
ward - bégin - laraque. A line like that could really do us some good in the playoffs.

LPHabsFan 01-22-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500
Personally I like our team the way it is but theire might be a couple players that would look interesting to add some scoring punch our some toughness. I just want to see wich of these 3 players that are available you would like to see in a blue-blanc-rouge sweather.

1.George Laraque - According to sporsneet Laraque might be available because his asking price his to high. Laraque in a hard place with Edmonton
2. Erik cole or Jeff O'neil - I read in the toronto sun that the hurricanes were not done dealing and that the markov trade was just the beginning of a fire sell. Whether this is true or not I wouldent mind getting any of those two players above.

Anyways I like the team how it is now but just out of curiosity I want to see who would you pick out of those 3 players to improuve our team. I just want to see youre opinions.

Me, I would love to see laraque in a hab sweather. can you imagine a 3rd line of
ward - bégin - laraque. A line like that could really do us some good in the playoffs.

Laracque is a nono because hes said on more than a few occasions he would never play in montreal. Cole would be a perfect fit imo, because imo, the left side is our weakast.

He will pretty much HAVE to make a trade before the deadline because of the playoff position were in.

goalchenyuk 01-22-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500

yesterday , there was a rumor about Jagr going to New-york, there are also a lot of rumor concerning the Isle .We are fighting to those 2 teams , so if they find some immediate help , may be Gainey won't have the choice to trade himself...

Sometime , the trade is not only to add something to your team but could be also to prevents another team to add a specific player ; i read 2 days ago that the leafs were having talks with the Hurricanes about O'Neil....i was already high on him , but now more than ever because i really would'nt like him to play for the leafs...

Laracque don't want to play here ; he already said it 2 years ago , and i don't think that the crowd of Montreal would like him to play here because of what he said

Habsaku 01-22-2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LPHabsFan
Laracque is a nono because hes said on more than a few occasions he would never play in montreal. Cole would be a perfect fit imo, because imo, the left side is our weakast.

He will pretty much HAVE to make a trade before the deadline because of the playoff position were in.

Cole would be great, we don't have young players like him, with Begin and Ward it would make a killer third line. O'neil is also interesting, but trying to acquire both would cost us a limb.

BTW, more then a few does not equal never. He wrote that column on RDS but then said on TV he would like to come here if the team was competitive, he didn't want the pressure of a losing team.

BLONG7 01-22-2004 10:54 AM

I think BG will make some sort of deal... he may wait until the March deadline to see where we are in the standings and how healthy a line up we are. That being said, he could make a move any day now, so that the new player would have sufficient time to get used to his new team and city. Who knows? Trust BG!!

Darz 01-22-2004 10:55 AM

Well, if you believe what Gainey says the only trade that would be made between now and the deadline would be one where we add a player for future consideration type of a return, so not that I totally believe that that is the case, I have a hard time beleiveing BG is going to make any sort of blockbuster type trade (O'Neill).

6 String Benny 01-22-2004 11:04 AM

I thought that because Jules-Eddy was now a cop in Monteal,that Georges was warming up to the idea of wearing the Habs jersey.Has anyone else hear this?Cause boy would he look good in the bleu-blanc-rouge.

BLONG7 01-22-2004 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6 String Benny
I thought that because Jules-Eddy was now a cop in Monteal,that Georges was warming up to the idea of wearing the Habs jersey.Has anyone else hear this?Cause boy would he look good in the bleu-blanc-rouge.

I thought his brother was a cop in Halifax? Not too sure?

Joe Maximum 01-22-2004 11:28 AM

I honestly hope BG moves to get a 3rd line grinder so we could have a Begin Ward + whoever grind line. I guess Cole is kind of a pipedream, but if he could be had I'd say go for it. Like that instead of having 2 scoring lines 1 checking line and 1 "others" line ( langdon, perreault, kilger, dackell, sundstrom... only line without an identity ), we could have 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line, and 1 grind line :yo:

Marksman 01-22-2004 12:19 PM

O'Neill - no. Zednik makes about half he does, personally I think they are similar guys in many ways. I'd be mildly surpriced to see Canes move him, Francis, Brinds, couple veteran dmen will be leaving before him. And if they would for some reason decide to shop him his price will be high.

Cole is absolute keeper for them. Young & cheap anything rebuilding team wants especially considering most of their forwards are finesse-twoway type people.

Laraque now he would make a lot of sence. Hes not just a goon he can play (little) hockey too - it would be nice to have 4th line able to contribute over 10 minutes per game as a unit. Georges would make great replacement for Langdon. As for his statements regarding playing in Montreal... I'd really would like to see if he was just posturing for fans, or if hes really willing to sit out for 1.2M per season. Also Habs are better team Oilers were at the time... times change.

But...

The player this team really need most is defensive center for bottom lines. Juneau cant handle big ice time anymore and will most likely have to be replaced after this season. Come playoffs time you really want Saku to be able to concentrate on offensive hockey.

Steve Begin is fun to watch, but hes not the answer. Hes too small and fragile to be regular - his career high games played is currently at 51 games and hes 25 yo.

My guess is there will be two trades: Perreault for checking center, Dykhuis/ Traverse for 5th rd pick.

TwineSniper 01-22-2004 12:24 PM

Michal Handzus would be a perfect fit on our third line.

loudi94 01-22-2004 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman2

Laraque now he would make a lot of sence. Hes not just a goon he can play (little) hockey too - it would be nice to have 4th line able to contribute over 10 minutes per game as a unit. Georges would make great replacement for Langdon. As for his statements regarding playing in Montreal... I'd really would like to see if he was just posturing for fans, or if hes really willing to sit out for 1.2M per season. Also Habs are better team Oilers were at the time... times change.

No need to replace Langdon. He's great for chemistry (Ryder especially) and actually drops the gloves. Big Georges thinks he's a player now and not a fighter.

LPHabsFan 01-22-2004 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Cole would be great, we don't have young players like him, with Begin and Ward it would make a killer third line. O'neil is also interesting, but trying to acquire both would cost us a limb.

BTW, more then a few does not equal never. He wrote that column on RDS but then said on TV he would like to come here if the team was competitive, he didn't want the pressure of a losing team.

I never knew about that. Mah Bad. He sort of would be a good player to have but it would cost us. If the price is right, then its ok but i think he would cost a bit.

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
I thought his brother was a cop in Halifax? Not too sure?

he is

i played against him last year

he is pint sized compared to his brother but he is still twice as thick as most humains and super fast

HabSim 01-22-2004 01:23 PM

Kevyn Adams

Any thoughts on Kevyn Adams? Right-handed center... 3rd line maybe
And the Canes said they're not done dealing...

Marksman 01-22-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudi94
No need to replace Langdon. He's great for chemistry (Ryder especially) and actually drops the gloves. Big Georges thinks he's a player now and not a fighter.

I was thinking more in terms of future. Langdon does good job right now, but hes also quickly nearing the end of his useful lifespan as a toughguy. Having someone a ready to step in for designated toughguy would be great, because that way Souray Rivet and Komi get to spend more time on ice defending, and less risk injuring themselves in fight.

If Julien/Gainey could make Brisebois play good defence I dont think it would be difficult for them to make Georges return to his own business.

All that being written... I wouldnt sell my farm for him, maybe someone outside top 10 prospect and a mid pick.

All-Star 01-22-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku

I would much rather have guys on the team who want to be Habs win or lose. In my opinion he doesn't deserve to wear the CH... The last thing we need is an emotional goon.