HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sean Burke value (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45943)

ParisSaintGermain 01-22-2004 11:39 AM

Sean Burke value

What do you think the Coyotes could get for him?

thestonedkoala 01-22-2004 11:42 AM

A mid-round draft pick?

Guest 01-22-2004 01:18 PM

Here is the Sean Burke trade speculation primer

Burke has this season remaining on his contract, and then a player/team option for the next season. I believe that option is roughly around $5 million for that season.

Should Sean Burke's option not be picked up and he would become an UFA, the team last in possession of him would likely receive a 2nd round compensation pick from the league.

Coyotes GM Mike Barnett has already stated that trading Burke at this point is beyond a financial matter, that they can afford to wait for the best offer. His move would be no salary dump.

To me, it makes no sense whatsoever to trade Burke for anything less than a 1st round pick or quality thereof. If we can keep him and get that 2nd round pick, why settle for less. Burke provides more value to the team than a 2nd round pick as well, so the team would be best to keep him.

Also, the talk of Jackman & 3 first rounders for Burke last year has been extremely miscontrued. That comment was made out of frustration when Blues GM Larry Pleau was offering up Justin Papineau & Mike Van Ryn for Burke. It would be the equivalent of saying I'll give you Burke for Forsberg & Hejduk, asking for so much because so little is being offered.

Brodeur 01-22-2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Should Sean Burke's option not be picked up and he would become an UFA, the team last in possession of him would likely receive a 2nd round compensation pick from the league.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see a lot of teams that would throw a ton of money at Burke if he's on the open market. Oates signing with Anaheim for 3.5 million 'only' netted Philadelphia a mid 3rd round draft pick. There are only a handful of teams that would be looking for a veteran #1. I don't think there will be too many teams wanting to pay #1 money for a solid veteran backup.

JCD 01-22-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see a lot of teams that would throw a ton of money at Burke if he's on the open market. Oates signing with Anaheim for 3.5 million 'only' netted Philadelphia a mid 3rd round draft pick. There are only a handful of teams that would be looking for a veteran #1. I don't think there will be too many teams wanting to pay #1 money for a solid veteran backup.

To build on that, if Burke retires and doesn't return (which is a distinct possibility should he somehow win the Cup or the 2005 season doesn't take place), then NO compensation for Burke would be given.

A 2nd is typically the top compensation given for losing a FA. To think Burke would garner an offer like that at 37+ years of age is being rather optimistic.

Darth Milbury 01-22-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Coyotes GM Mike Barnett has already stated that trading Burke at this point is beyond a financial matter, that they can afford to wait for the best offer. His move would be no salary dump.

To me, it makes no sense whatsoever to trade Burke for anything less than a 1st round pick or quality thereof. If we can keep him and get that 2nd round pick, why settle for less. Burke provides more value to the team than a 2nd round pick as well, so the team would be best to keep him.

The assumption a lot of fans make is that any higher level player who leaves via UFA will return a 2nd rounder, and that is not always the case. In fact, in Burke's case, the pick may turn out to be a 3rd or 4th rounder. And, if the Coyotoes sign any UFAs themselves, they might not receive any compensation at all. So, dealing him for a package built around a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a prospect would probably make a lot of sense.

Trottier 01-22-2004 01:45 PM

Personally think Burke's trade value is generally overrated on this board. That's not meant as a knock him, BTW.

Darth Milbury 01-22-2004 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier
Personally think Burke's trade value is generally overrated on this board. That's not meant as a knock him, BTW.

How about Janne N. for Burke? I'd rather have Burke than Mayer and Salvador.

Trottier 01-22-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
How about Janne N. for Burke?

That was in jest, right?

That is, given Burke's salary, remaining shelf-life and impact he would have on a medicore team.

Darth Milbury 01-22-2004 02:05 PM

Quote:

That was in jest, right?

That is, given Burke's salary, remaining shelf-life and impact he would have on a medicore team.

Sarcasm? Do you really think I, of all posters, would be sarcastic?

Trottier 01-22-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Sarcasm? Do you really think I, of all posters, would be sarcastic?

It's a dangerous thing around here sometimes. :p

Reading this board, Isles are in a very good position, trade wise, given the level of need for defensemen among other NHL teams currently. Putting aside my Janne hypothetical for two broken-down Blues :p , would be very reluctant to push any move of the D corp (Timamder doesn't count, he's fringe material.) That is, I'd sit back, let the "buyers" raise the ante, and see if a great offer comes forth. Otherwise, hold!

(Whoops, OT :p. Back to Burke. I subscribe to Bobby Clarke's suggestion that apart from Brodeur (and perhaps Belfour), given current and past performance, the difference among all goalies headed into the playoffs is marginal. That is, some are injured (Hasek), have yet to win anything in the spring (Joseph; Kolzig), are not going to be traded (Theodore), etc.

Thus, can't get too excited about any team acquiring any goalie right now.

Gwyddbwyll 01-22-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

That was in jest right? :) Its now apparently at the point where it seems we would have to pay someone to take him.

1/ Incidentially Burke has said he wants to play on.

2/ I have studied the compensation system and I dont believe he would return a 2nd round pick. Mid-2nd round is officially as high it can possibly go and only players with multiple 50 goal season, multiple All-Star appearances, former captain, and who get paid a large sum by their new employer get that much. Roenick is an excellent example of someone who ticks all the boxes. I would expect Burke to return a 3rd round pick however.

This of course is assuming the comp system still applies since the comp draft pick in question would be in the 2005 draft.. ie/ post CBA.

So there is an advantage for the Coyotes in dealing him for a pick in eliminating the doubt over this. The disadvantage is of course they would lose their best player and best shot at a money-spinning run in the playoffs in their new stadium which generates much more for them than AWA ever did. The money we are talking about here may well talk louder than an extra 3rd round pick.

3/ Burke is not expensive when you consider there are six goalies earning 6M plus and after that Khabby, Giguere, Turco, Turek even Salo and Hackett earn similar amounts as he does. Also most of his contract is paid this year and teams would not be on the hook post-CBA.

ParisSaintGermain 01-22-2004 03:20 PM

Very interesting. :handclap:
So it really looks like in the exception of a panic move from a worried contender, Phoenix will probably only receive a 3rd rounder or a decent prospect for Burke.
Thanks for all your replies!

wasting time 01-22-2004 03:28 PM

Phoenix is going to regret not trading Burke before now. His value is dropping compared to this time last year. Now they have Boucher and Bierke and don't need Burke anymore.

Brodeur 01-22-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
Very interesting. :handclap:
So it really looks like in the exception of a panic move from a worried contender, Phoenix will probably only receive a 3rd rounder or a decent prospect for Burke.
Thanks for all your replies!

I think a little more than a 3rd rounder, we were just speculating that if Burke were to leave as a free agent, the highest compensation pick the Coyotes would receive in return would be a 3rd rounder.

Mainly Phoenix will need some motivation to move Burke. If they would be happy to just get him off their payroll, a 2nd rounder might suffice.

If Phoenix is ready to pay him for the rest of the year, they ought to keep him unless they get an offer that is stellar. So in this case, a 2nd rounder probably wouldn't be enough.

Gwyddbwyll 01-22-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasting time
Phoenix is going to regret not trading Burke before now. His value is dropping compared to this time last year. Now they have Boucher and Bierke and don't need Burke anymore.

Boucher passed through the waiver draft untouched he was so highly rated..
Bierk has been injured most of the year and still is..

Regret it? I dont think so..

hbk 01-22-2004 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasting time

Burke is one of the leaders of the Coyotes. They need his experience; especially his ability to help his young defensemen improve their game.

Not sure how they would regret not trading Burke. His value to the team far exceeds any offers the Coyotes have received up until this point.

And if nobody wants Burke, Phoenix can always elect to resign Burke at a lower value and this process of debating Sean Burke's value can go on for another year and a half.

The Pucks 01-22-2004 07:09 PM

All I can say is IF Burke is dealt, I suspect most Pheonix fans will be dissapointed with the return.

Guest 01-23-2004 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pucks
All I can say is IF Burke is dealt, I suspect most Pheonix fans will be dissapointed with the return.

I'll agree with that, in general many fans are disappointed in the return on a trade no matter what team it is. It's the homer in us all. You are going to know the houses in your neighborhood better than you will on the other side of town. Unless the difference is very noticeable, you'll think your neighborhood is better even if it may not be the case.

me2 01-23-2004 06:54 PM

I think the horse has bolted on trading Burke. He's not posting the huge numbers he was a few years ago, he's old expensive and about to be a UFA.

I'm thinking a lesser deal, top end based around a weakish 2nd. I'd look for a team that wants a secure backup for a cup run and has too big a financial input to risk going with just one quality goalie. Philly and the Avs come to mind. Both teams with fairly untested starters, questionable depth on goal if there is an injury in the playoffs, and both have spent too much money to buy their cup to risk it on an injury to their starter. Philly could also use someone to replace Hackett if he continues to struggle. I could see Burke going for a second to one of these teams.

incawg 01-23-2004 06:58 PM

Considering the glut in the goalie market, Burke's poor play this season, and his lack of playoff success? I cannot see the Yotes getting more than a 3rd rounder for him, if that. In any case, it won't be much more than the compensation pick for losing him as a UFA.

hbk 01-23-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incawg
Considering the glut in the goalie market, Burke's poor play this season, and his lack of playoff success? I cannot see the Yotes getting more than a 3rd rounder for him, if that. In any case, it won't be much more than the compensation pick for losing him as a UFA.

Phoenix would likely be better off resigning Burke in the off-season at a lower amount.

XX 01-24-2004 12:18 AM

If Burke posts his normal numbers near the deadline, and is healthy, Id expect him to be dealt. Playoff teams will be looking for a solid backup or a veteran to help their team. The Yotes are in the same position: hold burke and go for it, or trade and wait till next season.

His value to the team is more than what people want to pay, that is what we have said all along.

Buffaloed 01-24-2004 07:52 AM

Quote:

There's no comp pick awarded in that situation.

fatnickmo 01-24-2004 09:42 AM

What is the nature of the option? It is a team or player option, or do both parties need to accept?