HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Will the last piece of the puzzle be in place? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45953)

swflyers8* 01-22-2004 12:08 PM

Will the last piece of the puzzle be in place?

With the onslaught of injuries of blueline corps have suffered in the past week, Clarke has gone out and got a guy that will be around for a while(Markov) and a guy that will help out until Ragnarrsson and Vandermeer are back in 2 weeks(Timander).
We did lose Willy, a fan favorite who wasn't really scoring but played with a heart of a lion. We all will miss him and you never know, he could be back. Same thing happened with Rex and Big John.

Anywho, it appears that when Rags and Vandy come back to the team, we have a pretty deep blueline and we have a deep group of forwards as we all know. The only question/concern left is whether or not Bobby will bite the big one and get us a #1 goalie. Hackett has appeared to bow out of the running. Funny how it comes out he has vertigo the same time Brooks writes that he told management he can't handle the load for us. Hmm. Other rumors say don't be surprised if Handzus or Gagne (please no!) are brought up in the following weeks before the trade deadline. Netminders that have been mentioned for us:

Kolzig--almost happened this week and Gonchar would have been here as well.

Khabibulin---if the Bolts miss the playoffs, they may unload him, also there are reports they want vets if they do make the playoffs and they have been liking Grahame and he has been starting alot

Burke---I guess he is ok. My question would be why we would get him again?

Salo---I have read on other boards that Handzus might be in a deal for him. I hope not.

Biron---Supposedly Clarkie has been real big on Biron. To me, he is like Esche. He's decent but an unproven playoff goalie.

Cujo----This is a way in the dark chance. He is now playing good for DET and Hasek is still suffering from his injury so they may keep him around.

All I am thinking is that Lapointe will be coming back leaving us with 5 centers, would Comrie or Handzus or even Lapointe be offered in a deal to get a guy like Bulin or Kolzig? If we got either of them or Burke, would we have shot of (gulp!) going all the way?

Rex88 01-22-2004 12:36 PM

The list of goalies is tough.
Bulin is a definite upgrade, but at what cost? We should not mortgage the future as TB will likely not pick up his option nest year anyway. I would be willing to give Handzus if Esche does not play well in the next few weeks.

The other guys are just not huge upgrades.

Kolzig is big risk as his year has been awful (yes his D is just as bad and his numbers would be better, but how much).

Burke - talk about killing confidence and chemistry - Esche would crap being behind him again.

Salo - no thanks

Cujo - Det will not move him

Biron - not big upgrade/proven

I just hope Esche plays well consistently and this becomes moot

Toonces 01-22-2004 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
I just hope Esche plays well consistently and this becomes moot

I hope so too, but I'm very skeptical. Robert Esche has a little bit of Ron Hextall's mean streak in him.

Rails 01-22-2004 03:51 PM

If we are going to relate the Flyers to a puzzle, the team is one of those puzzles that you lost a piece to.

blah 01-22-2004 04:32 PM

IMO Esche will be fine and the final peice is a legitimate goal scorer.

swflyers8* 01-23-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper
If we are going to relate the Flyers to a puzzle, the team is one of those puzzles that you lost a piece to.

Wow, what an insightful comment. Hope you didn't hurt yourself thinking up that gem.