HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   3rd line center you would like to get (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=45974)

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 01:39 PM

3rd line center you would like to get

i've recently saw a few names pop up to fit Gainey's bill as a right handed center, that may not cost too much to get such as:
Ian Laperiere with the Kings
Tyler Wright with the Blue Jackets
Kevyn Adams with the Hurricanes

these 3 guys are about too or just did turn 30 and may not cost much more than Marcel Hossa and/or a pick

then there is always the Michal Handzus factor (Philly), whom would cost alot more than Gainey specified.

Thoughts?

Dutchy 01-22-2004 01:45 PM

Do you really think we need another 3rd line center with Bégin coming back in the line up in a few days? I remember at the start of the season when we all agreed that we had too many center and we needed to unload one. I guess Gainey could be looking for an upgrade but then Perrault or Juneau will have to be scratched/bought out/waived/traded pretty soon after that.

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Do you really think we need another 3rd line center with Bégin coming back in the line up in a few days? I remember at the start of the season when we all agreed that we had too many center and we needed to unload one. I guess Gainey could be looking for an upgrade but then Perrault or Juneau will have to be scratched/bought out/waived/traded pretty soon after that.

that is what i believe, however, Gainey said a couple of weeks ago that he would like to add a right handed centerman that would not cost alot. i still believe that begin is better suited for a 4th line agitator role but if you could get a big center that can take the rigors of going up against teams #1 lines, because we all know that juneau could go at any time with his back. who would you get?

HabSim 01-22-2004 01:53 PM

I've tought of Kevyn Adams too...
Right-handed 3rd line center. Tough he is 30... And the Canes are solding so :p

JV 01-22-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adammacisaac
Thoughts?

Yeah. The first is this: Begin played well enough to raise a few eyebrows upstairs before being injured. There'll be enough time after he comes back and before the deadline to assess him in the role of the 3rd pivot. From what I saw, Tyler Wright doesn't have much on him if he plays the way he did before popping his shoulder.

The second thing is this: acquiring Laperierre kind of presupposes that you actually do something with Juneau as well. Begin fits on the roster whether or not JJ is moved, because Begin can play the wing and he can play the fourth line. Plus, you don't have to give anything to get him. As for moving Juneau, I don't expect that to happen, so that's another reason I don't see another center coming on board for now. I've heard the reports of Gainey wants a "right shot center", but half of what GMs say is designed to keep the hounds in the media off the trail. I'm not saying he won't make a deal at center, but I don't expect it any time soon and certainly not if Begin comes back strong.

Third, the guys Gainey would like to move (Perreault, maybe one of Sundstrom and Dackell, Kilger, etc) aren't going to bring back Ian Laperierre or Tyler Wright, not without throwing in Hossa or a 2nd.

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabSim
I've tought of Kevyn Adams too...
Right-handed 3rd line center. Tough he is 30... And the Canes are solding so :p

yeah, i kinda stole your idea, although he is a good one though :rolly: :bow:

he makes the least too at $700k

417 01-22-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

i've recently saw a few names pop up to fit Gainey's bill as a right handed center, that may not cost too much to get such as:
Ian Laperiere with the Kings
Tyler Wright with the Blue Jackets
Kevyn Adams with the Hurricanes

these 3 guys are about too or just did turn 30 and may not cost much more than Marcel Hossa and/or a pick

then there is always the Michal Handzus factor (Philly), whom would cost alot more than Gainey specified.

Thoughts?

Giving up Marcel Hossa for Ian Laperriere, Tyler Wright or Kevyn Adams, is overpaying, I wouldn't trade him for those 3 players put together, i'm sure any of those teams would jump all over BG if he offered that up, you can get any of those players for a pick or lower tier prospect...the Habs will be patient with Hossa, they see the potential and that's probably the only thing keeping him a Hab..

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JV
Yeah. The first is this: Begin played well enough to raise a few eyebrows upstairs before being injured. There'll be enough time after he comes back and before the deadline to assess him in the role of the 3rd pivot. From what I saw, Tyler Wright doesn't have much on him if he plays the way he did before popping his shoulder.

The second thing is this: acquiring Laperierre kind of presupposes that you actually do something with Juneau as well. Begin fits on the roster whether or not JJ is moved, because Begin can play the wing and he can play the fourth line. Plus, you don't have to give anything to get him. As for moving Juneau, I don't expect that to happen, so that's another reason I don't see another center coming on board for now. I've heard the reports of Gainey wants a "right shot center", but half of what GMs say is designed to keep the hounds in the media off the trail. I'm not saying he won't make a deal at center, but I don't expect it any time soon and certainly not if Begin comes back strong.

Third, the guys Gainey would like to move (Perreault, maybe one of Sundstrom and Dackell, Kilger, etc) aren't going to bring back Ian Laperierre or Tyler Wright, not without throwing in Hossa or a 2nd.

ok so be it if Gainey is keeping the hounds off the media trail

i think that come playoff time langdon wont see ice time, and an energy line of ward begin and adams/wright would be nice to see

or you could use juneau sparingly with a guy like laperiere centering the 3rd line

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Giving up Marcel Hossa for Ian Laperriere, Tyler Wright or Kevyn Adams, is overpaying, I wouldn't trade him for those 3 players put together, i'm sure any of those teams would jump all over BG if he offered that up, you can get any of those players for a pick or lower tier prospect...the Habs will be patient with Hossa, they see the potential and that's probably the only thing keeping him a Hab..

ok i realise that, but if you see what i posted it said :
Hossa and/or pick

BigM1ke 01-22-2004 02:05 PM

Begin WILL be our 3rd center for sure.

But as far as Laperrière is concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Begin and Ward at all!! A kickass cheking line!!!

markov` 01-22-2004 02:09 PM

I didn't read the replys, but here's my opinion:

Steve Begin is better as a 4th line center than as a 3rd. He's an agitator and he possess some skills, but I am dreaming of a 4th line composed of Jason Ward, Darren Langdon and Steve Begin.

At the moment, we have our third line c in Joe Juneau. If he retire next year, Kevyn Adams would be the perfect pick; the big right-handed center Gainey was talking about? If Juneau have problems with his back again, we could put him on the wing. Juneau - Adams - Sundstrom. We'd need to get rid of Dackell who's having a respectable season, but I would like our two checking lines to look like that.

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big M1ke
Begin WILL be our 3rd center for sure.

But as far as Laperrière is concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing him on a line with Begin and Ward at all!! A kickass cheking line!!!

as much as i like begin, i'm not set on hm being the 3rd line center.

the way he plays more than makes up for his lack of size, but in the playoffs a bigger man that plays the same way (laperrier) would be nice

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 02:13 PM

ok i just noticed this
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...46&hubName=MTL

look at what begin iss on pace for this year

1G 4A 6PTS
where does the phantom point come from

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
I didn't read the replys, but here's my opinion:

Steve Begin is better as a 4th line center than as a 3rd. He's an agitator and he possess some skills, but I am dreaming of a 4th line composed of Jason Ward, Darren Langdon and Steve Begin.

At the moment, we have our third line c in Joe Juneau. If he retire next year, Kevyn Adams would be the perfect pick; the big right-handed center Gainey was talking about? If Juneau have problems with his back again, we could put him on the wing. Juneau - Adams - Sundstrom. We'd need to get rid of Dackell who's having a respectable season, but I would like our two checking lines to look like that.

see thats more along the lines of my thinking

J-D 01-22-2004 02:20 PM

IMO The Habs should not depend Begin to be a 3rd line center as he is too injury-prone. He is the perfect 4th line center, though. There, he could anchor a line that could play over 10 minutes a game. Moreover, he could fill in for the 3rd line spot if an injury happens. Therefore, I'd welcome any legit third-line center (right-handed or not) when Juneau is set to retire (please be it sooner rather than later), including some of the players mentioned above (i.e Adams, Wright, Brown, Laperriere, etc.) Or you could still bring back Shaun Van Allen! :yo:

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-D
IMO The Habs should not depend Begin to be a 3rd line center as he is too injury-prone, thus making him the perfect 4th line center. That way he could anchor a line that could play over 10 minutes a game. Moreover, he could fill in for the 3rd line spot if an injury happens. Therefore, I'd welcome any legit third-line center (right-handed or not) when Juneau is set to retire (please be it sooner rather than later), including some of the players mentioned above (i.e Adams, Wright, Brown, Laperriere, etc.) Or you could still bring back Shaun Van Allen! :yo:

van allen still comes to the Cape every summer and golfs at my golf course.
Ottawa would be mad to part with him.

arsobro 01-22-2004 06:43 PM

Bégin can play LW ... don't forget

tinyzombies 01-22-2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-D
IMO The Habs should not depend Begin to be a 3rd line center as he is too injury-prone. He is the perfect 4th line center, though. There, he could anchor a line that could play over 10 minutes a game. Moreover, he could fill in for the 3rd line spot if an injury happens. Therefore, I'd welcome any legit third-line center (right-handed or not) when Juneau is set to retire (please be it sooner rather than later), including some of the players mentioned above (i.e Adams, Wright, Brown, Laperriere, etc.) Or you could still bring back Shaun Van Allen! :yo:

With all the injuries, the Kings could be interested in a guy like Dackell. Dave Taylor is no fool though and Lappy must be a favorite to him as he is to the LA crowd. I'd be surprised to see them deal Lappy.

Personally, the guy I'd like to have, is Dave Scatchard. I don't think that's really possible either tho.

EquabaleAce 01-22-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
With all the injuries, the Kings could be interested in a guy like Dackell. Dave Taylor is no fool though and Lappy must be a favorite to him as he is to the LA crowd. I'd be surprised to see them deal Lappy.

Personally, the guy I'd like to have, is Dave Scatchard. I don't think that's really possible either tho.

that's another name i forgot
scatchard would cost alot more and probably could be obtained at the deadline if the isles are out of the playoff picture.
plus he has a heftier salary

Souffle 01-22-2004 08:45 PM

Wes Walz is at the top of my list. He's a right-handed center, and his defensive game has gotten very good while playing for Lemaire. He's also someone you want for the playoffs. He's not big, but he's pesky and effective against the other team's top forwards.

The real problem is that Walz's value is hard to gauge. He's a 34 yr old pending UFA, but he's a captain of his team. He's not paid very much, so there's no reason to dump him.

He's probably more expensive than Laperriere and Adams, but probably much less than Scatchard, especially if Minnesota slides away from a playoff spot.

Asgalus 01-22-2004 11:29 PM

Quote:

that is what i believe, however, Gainey said a couple of weeks ago that he would like to add a right handed centerman that would not cost alot. i still believe that begin is better suited for a 4th line agitator role but if you could get a <span style="color:red;">big center that can take the rigors of going up against teams #1 lines</span>, because we all know that juneau could go at any time with his back. who would you get?

we have an other smart manager here.

Yeah, plz get a 3rd line center to play against the opposite 1st line. This way if they play 25mins, we will have our 3rd line during 25 mins, our 4th line during 5-7 mins whitch means...28 mins left for our 2 scoring lines. :dunno:

so basically you are suggesting to use our line like this
14 mins for 1st line
14 mins for 2nd line
25 mins for 3rd line (if not 30)
7 mins for 4th line

I guess I dont need to comment...especially since i dont think Gainey said these words. I dont think Gainey said to the medias what Julien should do with his 3rd line.

btw, you should notice that since december Montreal doesnt play like this anymore, juneau doesnt play 25-26 mins each game anymore...and we are finally winning on a regular basis.

Jeffrey 01-22-2004 11:46 PM

Keith ''All-Star material'' Primeau !!! he's considered by ''NHL expert'' the best defensive player of all time for the recoginzation for being in the All-Star with only 15pts !!!

go get him !! :joker:

Marksman 01-23-2004 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-D

Thats exactly what I'm thinking too. Begin is a pesky player allright, but his style is writing checks his body cant cash. Thats how hes career was with Flames. In that role he should be weighting about 200 lbs, like Cooke for example. Either he puts more strength - or tones down a bit... but then he wouldnt be Steve we know.

Laperriere would be ideal for Canadiens needs. Last time I checked hes pretty much like Begin, except with 3in taller 15 lbs heavier? Also he only makes 800K now so he should be affordable even after turning UFA (after this season).

Throwing Hossa for him - no matter how much he struggles now - would be too much taking from our future though. I would start offering Perreault (for stop gap offence, Allison Deadmarsh Palffy and Straka missing from their offence) and package Kilger (body to replace Ian for near future) with him.

I'm dreaming Habs checking lines look like this after March 9th:

Sundstrom Laperriere Ward
Langdon Juneau Dackell

Next year:

Bulis Laperriere Ryder
Sundstrom Begin Ward

EquabaleAce 01-23-2004 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asgalus
we have an other smart manager here.

Yeah, plz get a 3rd line center to play against the opposite 1st line. This way if they play 25mins, we will have our 3rd line during 25 mins, our 4th line during 5-7 mins whitch means...28 mins left for our 2 scoring lines. :dunno:

so basically you are suggesting to use our line like this
14 mins for 1st line
14 mins for 2nd line
25 mins for 3rd line (if not 30)
7 mins for 4th line

I guess I dont need to comment...especially since i dont think Gainey said these words. I dont think Gainey said to the medias what Julien should do with his 3rd line.

btw, you should notice that since december Montreal doesnt play like this anymore, juneau doesnt play 25-26 mins each game anymore...and we are finally winning on a regular basis.

sure, ok we'll just outscore every team we play against and all our little forwards won't get hurt; ever.

great thinking

the 3rd line should play about 17 mins a game while giving the 4th about 3 minutes a game, espically in the playoffs where every goal counts.

the real unsung heros on a team are the ones who step up every night and shut other teams bug guns down. thats why we need a big 3rd liner who can skate

mabye if you didn't notice the trend in the east is to play a little defense first before you score

and FYI monteral is playing the exact same system they played at the begining of the year, the reason they are winning is because the special teams are clicking

#44_delivers 01-23-2004 04:33 AM

indeed it is clicking much respect go to charron for that, and CJ putting koivu on the line, souray has alote to do with it as well.
btw cole would be a sweet acquisition.