HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Important road trip (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=460009)

Blueshirt Special 12-31-2007 09:14 AM

Important road trip

We head to the western conference for 3 games and I think this will be a real test of what we can expect as the season progresses, and what can happen in the playoffs.

For me, I need to see at least 2 wins out of these 3 games or I will have very limited expectations for a playoff run this year. We win all 3? Then I am going to start getting excited.

Thoughts?

HockeyBasedNYC 12-31-2007 09:22 AM

4 out of 6 points would be nice

I'd take that.

But more importantly, lets take a quick look back at December for a sec.

On Christmas they were 3-6-2 for the month and in danger of having a real stinker of a month heading into a game against Carolina who handed them a beating the previous meeting and a back to back after that, one of which with their backup and the other against a very hot Canadien team.

Down 2-1 going into the third against the Canes they rallied back and now have 3 wins in a row and evened up December at .500 with a 6-6-2 record.

December was shaping up to be much worse as we were all pointing out the "seemingly annual Christmas slump", but they turned it around at the end.

Heres to the NEW YEAR everyone!! :cheers:

Blueshirt Special 12-31-2007 09:26 AM

Agreed. The trend is currently in the right direction, but if we were to lose all 3 games coming up, we are right back where we started.

I need to see 6-7 game winning streaks..........:handclap:

nyr2k2 12-31-2007 09:28 AM

1-1-1 works for me. I'm hoping for 2-1 (or, obviously, 3-0), but I've learned to set my expectations for my teams pretty low.

Choice 12-31-2007 09:31 AM

Hoping for four points will be satisfied with three. It's gonna be tough, and the main thing is that they don't play like shize and go into a tailspin that continues when they get back to the garden.

BDubinskyNYR17* 12-31-2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 11829832)
1-1-1 works for me. I'm hoping for 2-1 (or, obviously, 3-0), but I've learned to set my expectations for my teams pretty low.

we should beat the Oilers, so that is a given I would think. As far as Calgary that will be tough. Vancouver can go either way I would think but will be low scoring.

Choice 12-31-2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 11829875)
we should beat the Oilers, so that is a given I would think. As far as Calgary that will be tough. Vancouver can go either way I would think but will be low scoring.

Henrik v. Luongo you'd expect to be low-scoring. Watch it be 6-4 though.

Do you give Valiq a start on the trip? I'd say yes. Ideally he'd play in one of the back to backs, but Edmonton would probaby be the best team for him to face.

BDubinskyNYR17* 12-31-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice (Post 11829906)

Do you give Valiq a start on the trip? I'd say yes. Ideally he'd play in one of the back to backs, but Edmonton would probaby be the best team for him to face.

I can see that for sure. Lundqvist vs the Flames is a given so Vally vs the Oilers.

ruckus* 12-31-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 11829875)

Do you watch any of these teams? The Oilers are extremely competitive every single night. And Vancouver, besides Luongo, has been one of the best teams in the league so far, and they're something like 10-0-2 I think in their last twelve home games. I'd be worried about a team like Edmonton especially after the back to back with Calgary and Vancouver. I like our chances in Calgary to get off to a good start more than anything considering the way we're playing now.

I'll take an OT win over Edmonton (since they always seem to go to a shootout) and a win any way we can get it against Calgary. But I think we're going to have a real tough time in Vancouver.

Blueshirt Special 12-31-2007 09:53 AM

I'm looking for character

We're midway through the season.

We've put a couple wins together.

This road trip will be tough.

This is when you find out what you've really got as a team.

3 wins on the road in the West after our recent performances will be impressive and the Rangers will be taken seriously by me, but more importantly by the rest of the league.

Show me something guys!!! :yo:

HockeyBasedNYC 12-31-2007 09:57 AM

Calgary and Edmonton arent great at home, and Vancouver is tough.

It'll be imperative to start off the trip with a win and keep the good emotions flowing. Calgary lets up a lot of goals so lets hope the Rangers keep the pressure on because the goaltending matchup could be front and center for that one, as it will for the Vancouver game.

It wont be easy, I have a feeling theyll need Lundqvist to shine to really make this trip a success. This could be a big trip for him considering so many group Lundqvist, Kipper and Loungo at the top of the goaltender A list.

It'll be a big trip for his image across the league with so many comparing those 3 and Broduer, especially the Luongo and Hank matchup.

Does he play in the back to back or just one?

An important key to this trip is about goaltending, and the decisions made by Renney.

ruckus* 12-31-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice (Post 11829906)

I'd like to think Henrik starts all of these games. Which is why he was just given Saturday off. That was my thinking when this happened. He's fresh. He can play back to back and I don't see him not getting the first game in Calgary OR the next night versus Luongo. You're right about the possibility of Edmonton but I think if he plays well there's no way he's not out there for that game either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ (Post 11829711)
We head to the western conference for 3 games and I think this will be a real test of what we can expect as the season progresses, and what can happen in the playoffs.

For me, I need to see at least 2 wins out of these 3 games or I will have very limited expectations for a playoff run this year. We win all 3? Then I am going to start getting excited.

Thoughts?

How on Earth does this have anything to do with what can happen in the playoffs? They're months away. This has nothing to do with any of that. I couldn't disagree more. We wouldn't see any of these teams til the finals anyway and the playoffs are all about how you're playing THEN, not about how you play'd when you went on a 3 game trip to western Canada at the start of January.

If you don't see 2 wins out of 3 you're going to have limited expectations? But if we do that you're going to be excited? Who are you? That's ridiculous. What if they win 2 of 3 and then go on to lose five straight? Or if they lose all 3 and then bounce back with a five game win streak? Would it be nice to go on a tough trip and come back with a couple wins? Yeah. But come on man. Getting excited if we win 2 of 3 and having limited expectations if we lose 2 of 3? I'm glad your opinion of this team is based on a one game difference on a trip to Canada.

Blueshirt Special 12-31-2007 10:06 AM

My opinion is based on the need to see some consistency from this team.

Fair to middling wont cut it for a playoff run.

Playing 3 good teams that we don't see often isn't a test of what we can expect in the playoffs?

If we are Hovering around .500 until the playoffs "months from now", are you expecting to go to ECF?

We are halfway through the season: It's Go-Time.

ruckus* 12-31-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ (Post 11830155)
My opinion is based on the need to see some consistency from this team.

Consistency is nice. Therefore your original statement makes no sense because as you said you will be excited if they win 2 of 3 but have limited expectations if they lose 2 of 3 (your words, not mine). And as I pointed out, they could easily win 2, then lose five. Or lose all 3 and win 5. That would be some semblance of consistency and yet, based on your criteria would have them either being a legitimate SCF contender or a team with no shot.

Fair to middling wont cut it for a playoff run.

Did I miss something? Is it April or January? Whoooooooooooooooooo cares what happens on this trip if you're talking about the playoffs. What matters is playing your best hockey COME PLAYOFF TIME. As this team was last year. That's the only thing that matters. You're right. Fair play won't cut it in the playoffs. Good thing they're MONTHS away.

Playing 3 good teams that we don't see often isn't a test of what we can expect in the playoffs?

Uhh..No. It's not at all. Especially since Western Conference teams play differently than Eastern Conference teams. The fact that we see them so little and would NEVER see them in the playoffs makes that point even less credible. This trip has nothing to do with the playoffs. It's a road trip, in the middle of the season. Nothing more.

If we are Hovering around .500 until the playoffs "months from now", are you expecting to go to ECF?

We could hover around .500 all season for all I care (but this team won't because it's better than that). As long as this team is playing its BEST hockey come those playoffs, then YES. I could see this team going to the Eastern Conference Finals. Because they've got the ability. I'm not going to refer back to a three game stint after New Year's to decide whether or not they can go all the way.

We are halfway through the season: It's Go-Time.

Uhh...Nah man. It's not. Once again, here listen, maybe you'll get it...Playoff time = Go Time.

.....I answered all those within your quote, with my answers being the bold obviously.

Forechecker 12-31-2007 10:29 AM

If we only get 3 points, I want us to lose the other three points despite having scored 3+ goals in those games. We seem to be clicking on offense now, and I just want us to have a run where we average 3+ GPP.

If we get 4 of 6 or more, I don't care how we win.

Blueshirt Special 12-31-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

For me, I need to see at least 2 wins out of these 3 games or I will have very limited expectations for a playoff run this year.

We win all 3? Then I am going to start getting excited.

Now read carefully.

Not looking for a flame war here.

I said "I need to see at least 2 out of 3" and if "we win all 3" then I'll start getting excited.

If you think we are going to suddenly "come alive" and make a run to ECF after playing .500 hockey all season you are going to be disappointed.

Oh wait...it's not the end of the season yet? right, but we are half way through, and we are .500.

I've been ok with my "limited expectations" the past 2 years because of the prior 7 seasons. But I want to see progress. Not a .500 season and then cross my fingers at playoff time.

I want to go into the playoffs as a dominant favorite for the first 2 rounds. The time to start building towards that is now. It's not "early" any more.

ruckus* 12-31-2007 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ (Post 11830425)
Now read carefully.

Not looking for a flame war here.

I said "I need to see at least 2 out of 3" and if "we win all 3" then I'll start getting excited.

If you think we are going to suddenly "come alive" and make a run to ECF after playing .500 hockey all season you are going to be disappointed.

Oh wait...it's not the end of the season yet? right, but we are half way through, and we are .500.

I've been ok with my "limited expectations" the past 2 years because of the prior 7 seasons. But I want to see progress. Not a .500 season and then cross my fingers at playoff time.

I want to go into the playoffs as a dominant favorite for the first 2 rounds. The time to start building towards that is now. It's not "early" any more.

The point is that in the grand scheme of things this trip doesn't mean much. You want to play well and get points. But that's the same for every game.

I understand the past seven seasons, trust me. But I don't see where that's relevant. We've got a good hockey club. We're not a dominant team though at this point. We can't afford to play poorly and get away with it. And I think you'll be crossing your fingers at playoff time regardless. It's the post season. Anything can happen. And as we've seen anyone can get hot and go all the way. That's why this trip means little to me. And as long as we're not scrapping for a playoff spot I think we're fine. We've got the goaltender. We've got the system. We've got the players. As long as we're playing well come the playoffs I'm fine with whatever.

I'm not too concerned with being a heavy favorite for a few rounds. I think the east as a whole is too deep and balanced. I wouldn't even consider Ottawa heavy favorites against whoever the 8th seed turns out to be. And that's assuming Ottawa captures the 1 seed. What do you gain from being a heavy favorite? The possibility of looking past your opponent? I don't think this team is good enough to ever be a heavy favorite, but I don't think any other team in this conference is either. If we play our game, against anyone in the league, we have a chance to win. That's all I look for. If you want to be the Detroit Red Wings and run away with the President's Trophy just to blow things come playoff time after being a "dominant favorite" than fine. That's really pretty meaningless though.

And you're right. It's not early anymore. But it's not late either.

beastly115 12-31-2007 11:41 AM

I'll take 4 out of 6 pts. I think the Vancouver game could be a good one.

h0ckeyman 12-31-2007 12:16 PM

As long as Prucha comes back alive from playing against Phanuef ill be happy.

nyr2k2 12-31-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0ckeyman (Post 11831613)
As long as Prucha comes back alive from playing against Phanuef ill be happy.

Let's cross our fingers. It's been a few games since Prucha has been destroyed, so he's due.

BDubinskyNYR17* 12-31-2007 12:25 PM

I can see Avery and Phaneauf go at it.

ohbaby 12-31-2007 12:30 PM

The west is very tough on us. You saw what Dallas and Minny did to us recently. I agree that this is a good test for us, unfortunately,... I don't have high hopes. Hank will play all 3, he rested Saturday. With Avery back, we might do better than I expect. But I'm not looking forward to this trip. And what happens here, is not relevant to what will happen in March.

vipernsx 12-31-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Thoughts?

I totally agree. The game against Toronto, the leafs were just awful and the Rangers did a great thing by capitalizing on every chance Toronto gave them. The Game against Montreal was squeeking out a win. The played great at times and at other times you wondered where they were.

The month of November, wich inlcuded a big homestand, was great for the Rangers, but the rest of the year has been down right horrid. A road trip into western Canada is always a good test of a team.

broadwayblue 12-31-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ (Post 11829810)
Agreed. The trend is currently in the right direction, but if we were to lose all 3 games coming up, we are right back where we started.

I need to see 6-7 game winning streaks..........:handclap:

Unfortunately we don't win 6-7 games in a row very often. We're not that kind of team. But then again most teams aren't. What's more important is that we not lose more than 1 (or at worst 2) games in a row. There's nothing wrong with taking 2 out of every 3. In fact, that would be spectacular. In reality, going 3 for 5 is good enough.

So, in repsonse to your OP, considering we have just won 3 in a row I don't have high expectations for us sweeping the road trip. That said, I'd like us to take 2 of 3. But 1-1-1 won't be horrrible either. That would make us 4-1-1 over the last 6, which is actually quite nice.

nyr2k2 12-31-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 11831748)
I can see Avery and Phaneauf go at it.

Avery doesn't really fight guys 6'3" like Phaneuf.