HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Andre Savard on Balej (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46171)

Peoples 01-23-2004 10:36 AM

Andre Savard on Balej

In La Presse

He cant miss. Dominating the Americaine L. at such a young age is a sign that does not lie. he plays with confidence and possesses a lot of speeds. he improved is finesse. Balej is young and well served by an excellent work ethic

Darz 01-23-2004 10:42 AM

I HATE when people say 'can't miss'.

I think it is a good endoursement from a man who knows something about young prospects mind you.

Guy Caballero 01-23-2004 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples
In La Presse

He cant miss. Dominating the Americaine L. at such a young age is a sign that does not lie. he plays with confidence and possesses a lot of speeds. he improved is finesse. Balej is young and well served by an excellent work ethic

"Can't miss" huh? That's putting his neck out. Hope he's right.

TSN lists Balej at 6'1'', 187. Does this seem about right? If so, that makes him somewhat bigger than Datsyuk and Hejduk, two guys whose size no one seems to care about. Balej seems somehow smaller to me though.

Peoples 01-23-2004 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
I HATE when people say 'can't miss'.

I think it is a good endoursement from a man who knows something about young prospects mind you.

To clarify
AS said in FRENCH Il ne peut rater son coup

All-Star 01-23-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
"Can't miss" huh? That's putting his neck out. Hope he's right.

TSN lists Balej at 6'1'', 187. Does this seem about right? If so, that makes him somewhat bigger than Datsyuk and Hejduk, two guys whose size no one seems to care about. Balej seems somehow smaller to me though.

He's probably lost some of the weight he put on over the summer... It's not a big deal considering his age...

Mats NAslund 01-23-2004 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star
He's probably lost some of the weight he put on over the summer... It's not a big deal considering his age...

He had gained 15 pounds of muscle over the past summer....

417 01-23-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
He had gained 15 pounds of muscle over the past summer....

There have been various reports of his height and weight, if he's added 15lbs of muscle that would put him at well over 200 lbs or at least around 200lbs, can anoyone confirm his size as of today?

mcphee 01-23-2004 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
There have been various reports of his height and weight, if he's added 15lbs of muscle that would put him at well over 200 lbs or at least around 200lbs, can anoyone confirm his size as of today?

That would involve a scale,tape measure,cooperation, and a future restraining order. Always be wary of reported heights and weights in media guides.

Mike8 01-23-2004 12:09 PM

Gained 15lbs over the summer? ;) It's not possible to gain that much over the summer unless he's added a good amount of fat in there, in which case he'd slow down his skating.

Balej still looks too thin, and I'm surprised Savard would make comments like that regarding Balej. Many young players rack up points in the AHL like Balej has and haven't panned out.

Habfansincebirth 01-23-2004 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=Mike8]Gained 15lbs over the summer? ;) It's not possible to gain that much over the summer unless he's added a good amount of fat in there, in which case he'd slow down his skating.

It is in fact very possible to gain that much weight in muscle over a summer if he trained intensively and ate well. 5 lbs a month is not that much.

Team_Spirit 01-23-2004 01:08 PM

Balej is around 195lbs right now ... anyways he was 170lbs so 187 is very good ;)

montreal 01-23-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Gained 15lbs over the summer? ;) It's not possible to gain that much over the summer unless he's added a good amount of fat in there, in which case he'd slow down his skating.

Balej still looks too thin, and I'm surprised Savard would make comments like that regarding Balej. Many young players rack up points in the AHL like Balej has and haven't panned out.

Yes it's very difficult to gain that much weight in muscle mass without chemical help. (no I don't mean roids, but protein shakes/creatine)

But I agree Mike he still looks skinny to me. I think his speed will help him out a lot, but I just wonder how he will do along the boards and in the corners. Love his shot though. I hope they at least try him in place of Dags, but we'll see.

Team_Spirit 01-23-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I think his speed will help him out a lot, but I just wonder how he will do along the boards and in the corners. Love his shot though. I hope they at least try him in place of Dags, but we'll see.

He was pettry smart this year along the boards i think he worked on that big time because in the past he loked not comfortable along the boards . Face it , we won't dish out the pucks with 2 NHLers on him but he can read the play and pickup the puck with some pressure on him , he'll learn some tricks and hopefully he'll burn them with his speed and quick stickhandling .

Mike8 01-23-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habfansincebirth
It is in fact very possible to gain that much weight in muscle over a summer if he trained intensively and ate well. 5 lbs a month is not that much.

Sorry, 5lbs of muscle is a LOT in a month. You're telling me you don't think it'd be difficult to add 60lbs of muscle in a year?

There's no way a guy like Balej who's skinny as a rail and doesn't have a thick base to work with, who had trouble adding weight prior to this summer adds 15lbs of muscle by training intensively.

Another reason I'm skeptical about this is because he doesn't look all that much bigger than I've seen in past years, and 15lbs of muscle would be noticeable.

#44_delivers 01-23-2004 02:08 PM

Quote:

Sorry, 5lbs of muscle is a LOT in a month. You're telling me you don't think it'd be difficult to add 60lbs of muscle in a year?

There's no way a guy like Balej who's skinny as a rail and doesn't have a thick base to work with, who had trouble adding weight prior to this summer adds 15lbs of muscle by training intensively.

Another reason I'm skeptical about this is because he doesn't look all that much bigger than I've seen in past years, and 15lbs of muscle would be noticeable.

just here to get one thing clear, 5 pounds of muscle a month is more then doable, with a high protien high carb diet and a great work out, its done. remember this guy has great work ethic,
anyways just here to say that its doable, with relative ease to a person that has to go through training as much as a hockey player does, just tweak your diet and add some mass and your there.
BTW im just wondering has A.S made any comment like sure bet towards anybody else??
im just wondering becuase thats a hellava thing to say.

montreal 01-23-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
He was pettry smart this year along the boards i think he worked on that big time because in the past he loked not comfortable along the boards . Face it , we won't dish out the pucks with 2 NHLers on him but he can read the play and pickup the puck with some pressure on him , he'll learn some tricks and hopefully he'll burn them with his speed and quick stickhandling .

Yes he's be good along the boards in the AHL, but I my concern is how he will fare in the NHL, against bigger stronger players. His speed will help him, but in the corners, it won't and that's where we'll see how he does with his strength. Either way he's got a ton of skill and has shown great progression. He's still young and has a few years to improve his game which is scary cause he already has the speed, skating and shot at an NHL level.

goalchenyuk 01-23-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
just here to get one thing clear, 5 pounds of muscle a month is more then doable, with a high protien high carb diet and a great work out, its done. remember this guy has great work ethic,
anyways just here to say that its doable, with relative ease to a person that has to go through training as much as a hockey player does, just tweak your diet and add some mass and your there.
BTW im just wondering has A.S made any comment like sure bet towards anybody else??
im just wondering becuase thats a hellava thing to say.

for a athlet like him , it's not impossible because they don't need to loose fat before getting muscle mass, and i think that the first 15 pounds are the easier to get

Habsaku 01-23-2004 03:25 PM

I've gained 10 pounds in the last 2-3 months without even training hard, in fact I've been doing mostly cardio which does the opposite. Some people just start filling up naturally, Balej is still young enough to still grow physically stronger.

CrAzYNiNe 01-23-2004 03:41 PM

You guys are nuts, 5 pounds of muscle in one month, he would have to be training like 10 hours a day, and eat a specifc diet to gain 5 pounds of muscle, I have already discusse this before though. A normal person who trains daily in a gym can gain 20-30 pounds of muscle in one year. Remeber that Balej isn't only working on his muscle mass, but keeping his cardio up, he in no way would gain 20 pounds of muscle in a year, not to mention 5 pounds in a month. That is a ridculous statement, and how you people think you know things. If you have trained, or work in a gym, I seriously would like to know how to achieve this, because muscle can't gained that mass so quickly, if you enderstand how muscle work and grow, it is almost impossible for that too happend.

CrAzYNiNe 01-23-2004 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
I've gained 10 pounds in the last 2-3 months without even training hard, in fact I've been doing mostly cardio which does the opposite. Some people just start filling up naturally, Balej is still young enough to still grow physically stronger.

Dude you haven't gained 10 pounds of muscle, you gained weight, not muscle mass. You people can't seriously understand the diffrence. Look the way you understand if you have gained muscle mass is the way you train, if you are doing 100 pound bicep curls, and you can do lets say 3 sets of 12 reps when a month ago, you couldn't, that how you know you gained muscle mass. Just cause you gain weight does no mean you gained muscle. If you don't train the msucles, you don't gain muscle mass.

Mike8 01-23-2004 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers

With a "high protein high carb" diet you'll be putting on a good amount of fat as well. You don't want fat as a hockey player; especially as a player whose game is highly dependent on quickness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku

Age has much less to do with gaining muscle mass than a person's frame. Balej isn't all that big, and to claim he can gain 5lbs of muscle (equivilent of 60lbs over the course of a year) is more than silly.

I think people are confusing gaining muscle mass and gaining weight. You can gain 5lbs easily in a month, but roughly half to two thirds of it will be fat.

BTW, assuming you're newer to bulking, adding muscle mass when you're just starting out is much different than doing so over the long haul. Balej has been trying to add muscle for a few years now.

CrAzYNiNe 01-23-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark0v
for a athlet like him , it's not impossible because they don't need to loose fat before getting muscle mass, and i think that the first 15 pounds are the easier to get

ok, fat isn't a "bad" thing when training. Fat doesn't turn to muscles, cause you can't turn an orange into and apple. See if you do push ups when you are fat, after doing so many for lets say 3 montyh everyday, you arms, shoulders... will adapt to your weight and therefore be easier doing them, and you will lose wight because you are burning energy. Balej is not really starting anything, he has a palyed a sport his entire life so his muscles are already very "active" and he isn't really starting a training routine considering he probably has been doing one for a long time now. It is impossible for this guiy to gain 15 pounds of muscle and stay the same speed. His speed i his asset, why should he lose that?

#44_delivers 01-23-2004 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
You guys are nuts, 5 pounds of muscle in one month, he would have to be training like 10 hours a day, and eat a specifc diet to gain 5 pounds of muscle, I have already discusse this before though. A normal person who trains daily in a gym can gain 20-30 pounds of muscle in one year. Remeber that Balej isn't only working on his muscle mass, but keeping his cardio up, he in no way would gain 20 pounds of muscle in a year, not to mention 5 pounds in a month. That is a ridculous statement, and how you people think you know things. If you have trained, or work in a gym, I seriously would like to know how to achieve this, because muscle can't gained that mass so quickly, if you enderstand how muscle work and grow, it is almost impossible for that too happend.

not impossible now you dont gain propper muscle mass with cardio, if you ups your protien diet to 40 grams a meal 4 meals a day and ups your carbs(sugars) to before cardio, you will boost your system full of gas, that gas is spent on your excercises and weights and the protien will add bulk, now cardio also chizz's and cuts you thus your first week you lose water, and mass(both fat and muscle) then after your body will adapt to the protien and carb diet that it got use to and adds alote of mass you can gain around 2 pounds of right muscle mass each week after that(must do repetitive mass execises) now every 2 weeks you highten your carbs that transfers the enrgy through out your body. 5 pounds of muscle mass can be obltained in less then a month for the severe, now most people dont think cradio matters but its the true key thats what distributes the right weight around your body.

CrAzYNiNe 01-23-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much. I don't understand how people don't find what they are saying to be ridiculous. If you people can gain that much "MUSCLE" in such a short time, become a body builder, cause your #s are the same of those on steriods. 60 pounds of muscles is about the speed of someone on steriods.

Habsaku 01-23-2004 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Dude you haven't gained 10 pounds of muscle, you gained weight, not muscle mass. You people can't seriously understand the diffrence. Look the way you understand if you have gained muscle mass is the way you train, if you are doing 100 pound bicep curls, and you can do lets say 3 sets of 12 reps when a month ago, you couldn't, that how you know you gained muscle mass. Just cause you gain weight does no mean you gained muscle. If you don't train the msucles, you don't gain muscle mass.

Well, I figure you can either gain muscle weight or fat weight and I didn't gain fat so tell me what I gained? I can clearly see my body has shaped up a lot over the last year and lately its more then ever, I havent trained seriously for 6 months so tell me what the heck did I gain if its not fat?

Also, I am not saying Balej gained that weight or that its normal to gain 5 pounds per month. I have trained and it took me about 3 months to gain that much, but don't say its impossible.