HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Darryl Sydor a "hot commodity:" Bill Watters (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46184)

think-blue- 01-23-2004 11:10 AM

Darryl Sydor a "hot commodity:" Bill Watters

Darryl Sydor, as just reported on Leafs Lunch, is apparently on the market.

What teams do you think might be interested in his services?

degroat* 01-23-2004 11:12 AM

St. Louis is going to be interested in any defenseman on the market.

Fire Sather 01-23-2004 11:16 AM

Sather and the Rangers would have intrest.

Verbal Kint* 01-23-2004 11:19 AM

The Leafs if they don't nab Gonchar.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 11:23 AM

Woooo Hooooo.
Bring on the proposals. Make em good.

Ajacied 01-23-2004 11:28 AM

I assume he's been dissapointing or at least not in the Jackets plans anymore, if so I can't imagine his value being much improved the day he got aquired. He'd probably fetch a 2nd round draft pick plus a decent prospect. The market for rental defensemen is huge, but the market for defensemen with continueing contracts is not very high. Sydor is signed for another 2 years beyond this one, and he aproxemately makes between 3.5 and 4.5 during those seasons.

RE-HABS 01-23-2004 11:33 AM

Is this another "gone in 48 Hours" deal from Watters.

With the league looking for Dmen in almost 1/3 of the cities it comes to no surprise that Columbus a non-playoff team will be willing to trade a good Dman like Sydor, Columbus wants some good youth in return and there is a potential for a bidding war for a guy like Sydor.

Brodeur 01-23-2004 11:38 AM

Jackets traded Mike Sillinger, a presumably high 2nd rounder, and are paying off about half of Sillinger's contract if I'm not mistaken.

My proposal:

New Jersey: C Tyler Wright and D Darryl Sydor
Columbus: LW/C Mike Rupp and RW Christian Berglund

Jersey gets a gritty right handed centerman (also UFA at season's end). Sydor would take Stevens' minutes short term while Scotty is hurt, long term when Scotty hangs 'em up. We lose a couple youngsters up front, but can focus on replacing them in the offseason.

Columbus sheds 3 mil from its payroll. They get a couple young assets including Ohio native Mike Rupp. Berglund has shown flashes of being a gritty 2nd liner capable of 20 goals, but hasn't been able to cement a permanent spot. I figure Columbus doesn't need any more draft picks, they'd rather have young players they can insert into their lineup now.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
I assume he's been dissapointing or at least not in the Jackets plans anymore, if so I can't imagine his value being much improved the day he got aquired. He'd probably fetch a 2nd round draft pick plus a decent prospect. The market for rental defensemen is huge, but the market for defensemen with continueing contracts is not very high. Sydor is signed for another 2 years beyond this one, and he aproxemately makes between 3.5 and 4.5 during those seasons.

I think a second round pick and a decent to good prospect would be an acceptable return from my p.o.v.
The contract is definitely a factor, but, I'm hoping the desire to add the proverbial "missing piece" for a playoff team will override money concerns and net the CBJ a good return.
It is a sellers market for d-men though and I think Sydor is one of the better ones that is going to be available.
Also, Columbus absolutely does not HAVE to trade Sydor. They can afford to keep him and they still can use him, but this is not a salary dump.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur
Jackets traded Mike Sillinger, a presumably high 2nd rounder, and are paying off about half of Sillinger's contract if I'm not mistaken.

My proposal:

New Jersey: C Tyler Wright and D Darryl Sydor
Columbus: LW/C Mike Rupp and RW Christian Berglund

Jersey gets a gritty right handed centerman (also UFA at season's end). Sydor would take Stevens' minutes short term while Scotty is hurt, long term when Scotty hangs 'em up. We lose a couple youngsters up front, but can focus on replacing them in the offseason.

Columbus sheds 3 mil from its payroll. They get a couple young assets including Ohio native Mike Rupp. Berglund has shown flashes of being a gritty 2nd liner capable of 20 goals, but hasn't been able to cement a permanent spot. I figure Columbus doesn't need any more draft picks, they'd rather have young players they can insert into their lineup now.

Two things:

1. a team like Columbus ALWAYS needs draft picks

2. i don't think wright will be traded. there was talk not too long ago of him reupping with the team. he's a big part of the team and community here. i guess it depends on the demand for him and what people will pay.

Volcanologist 01-23-2004 11:49 AM

I think Watters has proven himself an idiot, hasn't he? :dunno:

Brodeur 01-23-2004 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
1. a team like Columbus ALWAYS needs draft picks

Hrm, I guess on further review that is true. More simple counteroffer: Mike Rupp, Sean Brown, and our 2nd for Sydor. Couple guys C-bus can pop into their lineup right away, a 2nd to sorta replace the one they gave up.

p.l.f. 01-23-2004 12:11 PM

i asked about the availability of this guy a few wks ago and nobody thought he was going anywhere ;)

pantherhockey 01-23-2004 12:18 PM

Kristian Huselius for Sydor, maybe throw in a draft pick from florida to sweeten it up a little

ehc73 01-23-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i asked about the availability of this guy a few wks ago and nobody thought he was going anywhere ;)

That was before a d-man epidemic hit and a bunch of teams lost key blueliners.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p.l.f.

Hey! Didn't we agree on a Sydor for Harrison/2nd trade? Was that you?

My reasoning then, which I still stand by, is that the CBJ doesn't have to trade him. I think the reason he is out there now is because MacLean knows/thinks that he can get about as good a return as he's ever going to get for Sydor.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur
Hrm, I guess on further review that is true. More simple counteroffer: Mike Rupp, Sean Brown, and our 2nd for Sydor. Couple guys C-bus can pop into their lineup right away, a 2nd to sorta replace the one they gave up.

I don't think there is a drastic need to be able to "pop" guys in the lineup.
I would hope MacLean's interest would be in talent, not neccesarily an immediate need to play.

Rupp intrigues me, but CBJ have no use at all for Brown -- Eriksson, Pushor or even a prospect like A. Johnson would be just as good if not better for their lineup.

I'd really like Martin or Hale, but I'd imagine NJ isn't too keen on giving them up and I wouldn't blame them.

I could see something around Rupp and a 2nd working though.

YellHockey* 01-23-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I think Watters has proven himself an idiot, hasn't he? :dunno:

He's way past that point.

When you make Nick Kypreos look smart, you're WAY beyond idiot.

How the hell did this guy get a job with the Leafs? Was he blackmailing Stavro? Or providing "extra" services for Stavro on the side?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantherhockey
Kristian Huselius for Sydor, maybe throw in a draft pick from florida to sweeten it up a little

How about Sydor for Florida's 1st this year...

i'm assuming Dudley's pact with Satan is still in place.

Darth Milbury 01-23-2004 12:38 PM

I think everybody is going to be surrprised by how much Sydor brings in return. There simply aren't many vet defenders available right now, and most of the teams in the league are in the market for those kind of players.

p.l.f. 01-23-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehc73
That was before a d-man epidemic hit and a bunch of teams lost key blueliners.

:shakehead

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I think everybody is going to be surrprised by how much Sydor brings in return. There simply aren't many vet defenders available right now, and most of the teams in the league are in the market for those kind of players.

this is both my hope and my thinking..

Gonchar clearly is better, but are there any other available d-men better than Sydor?

Darth Milbury 01-23-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
this is both my hope and my thinking..

Gonchar clearly is better, but are there any other available d-men better than Sydor?

Well, if you believe the Islander rumors, Hamrlik MAY be on the market, and there are some other wildcards out there (Like Gauthier from Calgary). But, I doubt there are a lot out there at reasonable prices.

I think Sydor is probably going to return a very decent prospect, and a 2nd rounder or late first.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 01-23-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Well, if you believe the Islander rumors, Hamrlik MAY be on the market, and there are some other wildcards out there (Like Gauthier from Calgary). But, I doubt there are a lot out there at reasonable prices.

I think Sydor is probably going to return a very decent prospect, and a 2nd rounder or late first.

If Hamrlik would be available, he certainly would be worth more than Sydor, but I think that's a big IF at this point.

kevinbelt 01-23-2004 02:08 PM

sydor is definitely available. maclean pretty much said so by name in the columbus newspaper about a week ago. so is cassels, lachance, richardson, and maybe sanderson and wright.

what i'd like in return:
-nobody over 25.
-consistency.
-a solid stay at home defender.
-some offensive production.
-draft picks. i think maclean has proven he drafts pretty well.