HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Leafs Hypocrisy? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46193)

Boomhower 01-23-2004 11:43 AM

Leafs Hypocrisy?

Well we've all heard the Leafs crying wolf about the "viscious" and "dangerous" use of high sticks, this article sheds some light on the subject. Only it's probably not the way the Leafs had in mind, as it points out the Leafs are tied for the league lead in high-sticking infractions.

Toronto Star Article

Thoughts on the article??

ehc73 01-23-2004 12:14 PM

Well, Ferguson has a point when he says it's not necessarily injury-causing stick infractions.
However it is a very weak point there because a high-stick is still a high-stick and it still presents the danger of taking out the eye, injury causing or not.

shakes 01-23-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehc73
Well, Ferguson has a point when he says it's not necessarily injury-causing stick infractions.
However it is a very weak point there because a high-stick is still a high-stick and it still presents the danger of taking out the eye, injury causing or not.

He also has a point in the fact that the two players who took Nolan and Tucker out of the lineup were not called for penalties

NFITO 01-23-2004 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
It just seems with Bryan Berard, and now Owen Nolan and Darcy, we have been on the worst end of it. (aside from Al MaCinnis)

fans from their own teams always feel they get the worst of it....

but there are many players around the league that have suffered problems... Nagy was hit by Canuck dman Salo recently... Ohlund almost lost his career too with his serious eye injury (which will never be 100% and he still has to get surgery on it from time to time)...

I doubt that the Leafs have actually seen the worst end of it... they have been as big a part of the problem though as any team in the league (according to the article, one of the teams that has contributed most to the problems).

the problem though is the game itself... and it's not so easy to get rid of... many of these players that have injured others (like Salo recently, or Hossa in the Berard case) aren't players who do it intentionally... it happens in the game and is just part of the flow of the game - which is the hardest thing to stop.

If it was intentional it'd be a different thing, but as things are most players (if not all) never go on the ice trying to highstick someone in the eye...

Enoch 01-23-2004 05:12 PM

Oh joy. Hypocrites? Yes, quite a few here at least, are. I posted in a thread just two days ago that the Leafs were one of the worst teams regarding stick use in the league, and I was hammered.....

Crow anyone? There is plenty to go around!!!!!

Timmer 01-23-2004 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhower
Well we've all heard the Leafs crying wolf about the "viscious" and "dangerous" use of high sticks, this article sheds some light on the subject. Only it's probably not the way the Leafs had in mind, as it points out the Leafs are tied for the league lead in high-sticking infractions.

Toronto Star Article

Thoughts on the article??

Did you really read the entire article? I think Fergy made that reporter sound a little off the mark.

Verbal Kint* 01-23-2004 08:00 PM

Interesting stat. However in defense, we were more upset about the amount of high-sticks in the league and how many have caused injury to us.

DanKordicsFist 01-24-2004 08:33 AM

Sniff.........sniff...........do you smell that?

Snifff......snifffffffff...........yep, I think it is!

It's karma baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto's reputation as divers seems to be hurting them. It didn't look like anyone was sure if anything really happened, including his team mates.

Whiners whine, divers dive, high stickers get high sticks. It's the circle of life. :D

leafaholix* 01-24-2004 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
Sniff.........sniff...........do you smell that?

Snifff......snifffffffff...........yep, I think it is!

It's karma baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto's reputation as divers seems to be hurting them. It didn't look like anyone was sure if anything really happened, including his team mates.

Whiners whine, divers dive, high stickers get high sticks. It's the circle of life. :D

What?

The Leafs don't have a reputation as divers!

DanKordicsFist 01-24-2004 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
What?

The Leafs don't have a reputation as divers!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha!!!!!!!!

leafaholix* 01-24-2004 09:12 AM

Oh. Good point.

:shakehead

DanKordicsFist 01-24-2004 09:16 AM

Quote:

Oh. Good point.

:shakehead

As a Torodney Dangerleaf, or Maplefield (whichever you prefer) fan, I don't expect you to believe your team is anything but above board and gets "No respect I tell ya, no respect". That is the sole reason for not trying to get a point across to you.

Apparently your teams patron saint is Schleprock, "Wowzie wowzie woo woo" :cry:

leafaholix* 01-24-2004 09:26 AM

Give me one player on the Leafs roster that dives.

DanKordicsFist 01-24-2004 09:28 AM

Quote:

Tucker, see the connection?

How about this? You prove me wrong.

leafaholix* 01-24-2004 09:32 AM

Ok.

Darth Vitale 01-24-2004 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Oh joy. Hypocrites? Yes, quite a few here at least, are. I posted in a thread just two days ago that the Leafs were one of the worst teams regarding stick use in the league, and I was hammered.....

I agree; Toronto is defnitely one of the worst in terms of stick discipline (hard to say who takes the crown). This, regardless of "what got called" and what didn't. However I would be interested to see what the official stats on high-sticking look like, if anyone can find a URL where they are reliably compiled.

Either way, the Leafs stand to gain (and suffer) from more strict reffing, where careless stick use is concerned. Gain obviously by a reduction of injuries in hotly contested games, suffer from greatly increased PIM.

Egil 01-24-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Tucker dives, but he isn't the worst.

TIE DOMI is one of the WORST divers in the NHL. He virtually invented a few of the sleaziest moves you now see. Porpular ones include grabbing your oponents stick, putting it into your somach and falling down.

leafaholix* 01-24-2004 10:35 AM

Worst dive ever would have to be Dainius Zubrus' effort at the end of the 2003 season.

rangers 01-24-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Gary Roberts

oilers_guy_eddie 01-24-2004 11:59 AM

If Nolan and Tucker played for a different team, I doubt "the whole league" would be talking about high sticks.

High sticks can cause injuries? Aw, come on, you're kidding me! Visors might prevent eye injuries? Whoa! Some players wear visors, others choose not to? Slow down, egg-head! Mandatory visors would have to be agreed to by the NHLPA? No way!!

Really, how does any of this qualify as news? Why is high sticking and visors suddenly getting so much ink? Because it happened to Maple-Leafs. It might be the hot topic in Toronto, but I think "the hockey media" has overestimated how much fans around the league care.

Boomhower 01-24-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy
However I would be interested to see what the official stats on high-sticking look like, if anyone can find a URL where they are reliably compiled.

Ask and you shall recieve, NHL High Sticking Statistics.

Detroit the Best in the league! :yo:

Quote:

Anytime you talk to one of these people, it's always a new Leaf who is famous for diving.
I thought thats why Roberts was named to the All-Star team..... to draw penalties.
But seriously he has been called for several diving infractions in recent years, not to mention all the diving he gets away with.

Poignant Discussion 01-24-2004 12:33 PM

Ahhh just what we need. Another Leaf troll thread.

Bash away brothers...i'm glad you are so obsessed with us

Charge_Seven 01-24-2004 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomhower
Ask and you shall recieve, NHL High Sticking Statistics.

Detroit the Best in the league! :yo:

I thought thats why Roberts was named to the All-Star team..... to draw penalties.
But seriously he has been called for several diving infractions in recent years, not to mention all the diving he gets away with.

Just curious, when was he called for diving in recent history?

Where's the list of notorious divers? The league was supposedly making one up for the refs, is there any chance it's on the internet somewhere?

ArtVandelei 01-24-2004 01:42 PM

Offcourse it's too much to expect for the trolls to read the article when an opportunity to bash opens up, but JFJ promptly and accurately put the reporter in his place:

"And the fact that no penalty was called on Buffalo's Jay McKee, who tore the retina of Nolan, or on the Islanders' Jason Blake, who did the same to Tucker on Tuesday, also skews the data, the GM said.

"Do they have McKee's infraction as an infraction or not an infraction? Would you consider what Blake did is an infraction? Does that show up on their penalty stats? So you better get some more Web sites," Ferguson said."

"We're a very competitive team that's made real good strides in terms of our discipline," Ferguson said. "Tell me this: How many teams in the league have two players currently out because they got high-sticked in the eye? I think it's one. There are a host of factors here, clearly."

Quagmier 01-24-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtVandelei
"We're a very competitive team that's made real good strides in terms of our discipline," Ferguson said. "Tell me this: How many teams in the league have two players currently out because they got high-sticked in the eye? I think it's one. There are a host of factors here, clearly."

Clearly the anti-leaf conspiracy is in full force... "AIM FOR THE EYES BOYS!!! THEY CAN'T PLAY IF THEY CAN"T SEE!!"