HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Jagr To Rangers Done Pending League (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46245)

Son of Steinbrenner 01-23-2004 02:48 PM

Jagr To Rangers Done Pending League

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69326

JAGR FOR CARTER. If this is the trade the rangers talent wise and just talent wise have improved. forget about the contract folks. From a talent standpoint the rangers are much better, on paper at least :)

King Nothing* 01-23-2004 02:49 PM

The Agony Begins Once Again - Jagr To NY

Another bad move by the blueshirts! Down with the season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...26&hubName=nhl

dedalus 01-23-2004 02:53 PM

Yummy! A bloated contract under the new CBA! That's the way to look the future right in the eye, Glen! Go get 'em, you lion, you!

Melrose_Jr. 01-23-2004 02:55 PM

Just when we thought being a Ranger fan couldn't get any worse........

Servo 01-23-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Another bad move by the blueshirts! Down with the season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...26&hubName=nhl

Jagr and Pushor in the same day. Start engraving the Cup.

Seriously, adding this contract in the midst of the CBA expiration is almost criminally irresponsible. Leonsis better have picked up a whole lot of the cash.

Edge 01-23-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
From a talent standpoint the rangers are much better, on paper at least :)

Funny thing about paper, it is weak. You get it wet and it crumbles. You get a match and it burns.

Either way it's leaves a big mess.

Jackson Ranger 01-23-2004 03:10 PM

Slow and old, a defense that even if healthy is below average and what does our GM do, get another high priced star and a #7 d-man.

It's time for me to seriously think about getting rid of my season tickets. I'm sick and tired of having this happen every year and what does it lead to...another year without playoffs. Even if this team of 'Stars' make the playoffs, they'll be embarrassed by the likes of Ottawa, Philly, NJ or Boston.

Way to go Glen, you've done a great job!!!

Theoren Fan 01-23-2004 03:10 PM

Cater for Jagr?

If that's the trade, it could have been much much MUCH worse

Hire Sather 01-23-2004 03:14 PM

Replacing Anson Carter with Jagr on the ice serves no problem here.

Depends how much the Caps are picking up..

But we WERE in great shape after the CBA.. but now.. eh.

Son of Steinbrenner 01-23-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Cater for Jagr?

i agree this is actually a great trade for the rangers. forget about the CBA nobody even knows if the league will have a cap or a tax system.

King Nothing* 01-23-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Cater for Jagr?

I agree. I don't think you can pass up a one for one with Carter and Jagr. BUUUT, it doesn't solve anything. The man has three more goals than Messier! TWO: You are adding lockerroom poison to an already leadership thin room. THREE: We've seen this blow up before. FOUR: The CBA! Oh my God the CBA! FIVE: Where are all our defensemen! SIX: Jagr get's hurt often!

In the eyes of that? I hate the move because it does nothing. I know we can keep preaching and preaching: "IT ADDS MORE TALENT!" How much more talent do we need to get to the playoffs? Other teams seem to do it without ANY superstars.

Big Bill 01-23-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

i agree this is actually a great trade for the rangers. forget about the CBA nobody even knows if the league will have a cap or a tax system.

You are delusional. ANother high priced veteran who does not fit a need. What good wil he do if he has 4 pts and we lose 6-5? We are old, slow, heartless. We are the biggest team in the league but you would not guess it watching us play.

This is a great move if your goal is to be golfing when the playoffs begin.

RFAN 01-23-2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

It just makes everyone hate us that much more! OH well. Still does not help or D any though!

Son of Steinbrenner 01-23-2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bill
You are delusional. ANother high priced veteran who does not fit a need. What good wil he do if he has 4 pts and we lose 6-5? We are old, slow, heartless. We are the biggest team in the league but you would not guess it watching us play.

This is a great move if your goal is to be golfing when the playoffs begin.

Where was this team going with anson carter and his 10 goals? this upgrades the roster. This is a great trade not only because of what they gave up (anson carter) but what they didnt give up (lundmark,tjutin,blackburn)

King Nothing* 01-23-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Let's put it like this. If this is such a great trade then why didn't Sather pull it off when he left Pittsburg? BTW: If the league does not institute a cap or a tax system, the league will bankrupt and then Jagr will be as meaningless as a hot, steamy crap on a plush meadow of grass under a shady oak tree.

Your friend until the End,
Mr. Nothing

shmekel 01-23-2004 03:21 PM

Not so bad.

Carter for Jager, with Wash eating $20m? I don't see what's wrong with it. (At least according to the last article I read.) Good player or not, Carter wasn't doing much for us. Plus, it improves our anemic (or anaemic for the Brits) PP, considerably.

Now that dingleberry, Sather better get some D.

Son of Steinbrenner 01-23-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFAN
It just makes everyone hate us that much more! OH well. Still does not help or D any though!

Everybody hates the Rangers anyway. Are you really that sensitive to what other teams fans think? This is a fantastic move. Does it solve our lack of defenseman? no it doesnt. Please don't confuse the two needs. Take the Montreal and New Jersey games last week. The Rangers need a finisher and Jagr is one of the top guys in the league.

rw88 01-23-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFAN

It's done..Dale and Carter..but the interesting is that the Rangers will make a balloon payment of about $25 to him at the end of the year and reduce his cap hit..if there is a cap. That's what the league needs to approve. There might be one more deal in the works for either Gonchar or Witt after this deal is done. (correction..there will be a balloon payment, but I'm not sure if the Rangers are taking on the whole thing. The league might make them change this.) The call I just received said that the Rangers are only paying $5 per for 4 years, so I'm not sure which one at this point.

Hire Sather 01-23-2004 03:23 PM

Its not a "great deal for the rangers" because its another high priced superstar coming here with no playoffs. You cant aruge that putting Jagr on the ice in place of Carter isnt a good move.. But with that contract hes got.

Appearently Caps are going to eat 20 mill, we're on the the hook for 24.

Son of Steinbrenner 01-23-2004 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Let's put it like this. If this is such a great trade then why didn't Sather pull it off when he left Pittsburg? BTW: If the league does not institute a cap or a tax system, the league will bankrupt and then Jagr will be as meaningless as a hot, steamy crap on a plush meadow of grass under a shady oak tree.

Your friend until the End,
Mr. Nothing

Why didn't sather pull it off? hmmmmmmmmm lets think about this. Sather wasn't offering anything of value to pittsburgh. Everybody knows there will be a cap and tax system but nobody knows what the ceiling is going to be. Do you? Do you think Mr Dolan cares about paying a tax on payroll? The Rangers print money at the Garden.

King Nothing* 01-23-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
Its not a "great deal for the rangers" because its another high priced superstar coming here with no playoffs. You cant aruge that putting Jagr on the ice in place of Carter isnt a good move.. But with that contract hes got.

I Luv to jeopardy, baaaaaaby!

Vito Andolini 01-23-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Where was this team going with anson carter and his 10 goals? this upgrades the roster. This is a great trade not only because of what they gave up (anson carter) but what they didnt give up (lundmark,tjutin,blackburn)

That's where you're wrong GlenJar. Carter may have sucked big time in time in New York, but he's 29 years old and is still capable of being a solid 2nd line RW for a lot teams in this league. Instead of wasting one of very very few trading chips, he should have been dealt for something that actually fills a need on this roster, like a half decent defensemen, maybe a defensive forward, or god forbid it, a draft pick. All Sather did today was entrench this team even more. At this point, if we ever got our heads out of our a$$'s, it would take atleast 6 years to straighten this organization out. I can't believe we shot ourselves in the foot again.......

You may look at the team on paper and feel pretty good, but at the end of the day, we still lose.

RFAN 01-23-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Everybody hates the Rangers anyway. Are you really that sensitive to what other teams fans think? This is a fantastic move. Does it solve our lack of defenseman? no it doesnt. Please don't confuse the two needs. Take the Montreal and New Jersey games last week. The Rangers need a finisher and Jagr is one of the top guys in the league.

Thus the Oh Well! To me it can't be much worse than we have been seeing for 7yrs. All I hope is that Jagr and Kovey on the pp will maybe score a few goals! I'm not going to hold my breath.
From ESPN:
However, the Rangers have missed the playoffs for six straight seasons, and adding Jagr certainly would make them more dynamic offensively and a bigger draw at Madison Square Garden.

How many more seat then the 18,200 that are sold every game do they think will sell? That's just plain dumb!

tony 01-23-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21

why do you care how much they pay him? i don't hear any yankee fans complain when steinbrenner spends over market. if soti is right they'll pay him up front to make room if there is a cap put in place. i think it's funny when people say that this doesn't address a need. we can't score! our pp sucks hard! tell me please what awesopme d'man was available for anson carter straight up????

Son of Steinbrenner 01-23-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
It's done..Dale and Carter..but the interesting is that the Rangers will make a balloon payment of about $25 to him at the end of the year and reduce his cap hit..if there is a cap. That's what the league needs to approve. There might be one more deal in the works for either Gonchar or Witt after this deal is done. (correction..there will be a balloon payment, but I'm not sure if the Rangers are taking on the whole thing. The league might make them change this.) The call I just received said that the Rangers are only paying $5 per for 4 years, so I'm not sure which one at this point.

That makes this deal even better.