HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick Flex questions. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=462778)

ApeZilla 01-07-2008 09:14 PM

Stick Flex questions.

I recently picked up a Bauer One 70. Which is a stiffer stick than my previous one. The stock flex is 87, but I cut it down 1 1/2 inches I've noticed a transitioning period. My whole game went awry, shot was off stick ,handling was slow (The One 70 is not that light) Since then my game has come back and everything has gotten better (Including my form),however today I tried out my older stick (Which was a junior size generic Bauer flex 52) My wrist shot seemed to have so much more snap to it. I'm a forward, and a fairly shifty one. I don't have a big slap shot and don't pretend to, I mainly use my wrister and deke when in close. Do you think I should go with a lighter more felxible stick and if so which is a good one? Every stick I find that has a good flex to it is too short and every stick that is long enough has a flex over 85.

Thank You.

Free Probie 01-13-2008 05:59 PM

Flex point is sometimes more important than flex for instance the lower the flex point in the stick the stiffer it feels. Trial and error is really the only way to feel this. Also the sticks flex more with age. I would try some of the sticks from Mission. I have even had great success with the Mission Toxic (around $80). The most important part of a stick in my opinon is the lie, I even sand down the heel of my sticks. Buy a inexpensive stick and experiment a little.

Thrasha81 01-15-2008 12:12 AM

I have a really stiff CCM that I don't like.

Theoretically you can increase flex by removing material from the shaft in the area that you want it to flex- example drill a couple of holes say 8" apart and then using maybe a jig saw cut a slot. Never tried it but am going to soon with this CCM I have.

WhipNash27 01-15-2008 10:15 AM

Making your stick longer will increase the flex and shortening it will make it more stiff. Adding a longer grip to the end of your stick (such as an oggie grip) will raise your flex point and make the stick more flexible.

hock49 01-15-2008 05:34 PM

I spoke a little on this the other day. Kovalchuk alegedly using an Oggie.When I cut my stick down (I'm short) my sticks always get stiffer, and there has been alot of talk about the Oggie helping with the flex, I checked out their Website and it seems pretty neat. I am planning on trying one this week.

Bsfan26 01-15-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hock49 (Post 12051601)
I spoke a little on this the other day. Kovalchuk alegedly using an Oggie.When I cut my stick down (I'm short) my sticks always get stiffer, and there has been alot of talk about the Oggie helping with the flex, I checked out their Website and it seems pretty neat. I am planning on trying one this week.

I have one and it absolutely works. The grip itself has a flex point in the stick and therefore helps put back the flex taken out of the stick after being cut down. They have classic and ergo. ergo takes a bit to get used to but it definitely helped my shot.

WhipNash27 01-16-2008 08:58 AM

I actually like the Ergo a lot. It feels so nice in your hand.