HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How bout if we get Lang? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46344)

flick0069 01-23-2004 09:03 PM

How about if we get Lang?

Could he be the big right handed centerman BG was talking about? We could have 3 solid lines. Saku would move to the 3rd line with Bullis and Ward or Suntrom. Lang with Ryder and Balej. We would have 3 solid lines. Saku has shown that he can be very effective when palying against the other teams top line and still be an offensive force.
We would have to give up maybe a prospect like Hossa or Hainsey and a pick but we would have alot of fire power.
Let me know what you guys think.

NHLcrazy 01-23-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flick0069
Could he be the big right handed centerman BG was talking about? We could have 3 solid lines. Saku would move to the 3rd line with Bullis and Ward or Suntrom. Lang with Ryder and Balej. We would have 3 solid lines. Saku has shown that he can be very effective when palying against the other teams top line and still be an offensive force.
We would have to give up maybe a prospect like Hossa or Hainsey and a pick but we would have alot of fire power.
Let me know what you guys think.

Way too pricy

About 2 000 000$ left this year
5 000 000$ from 2004-2005 until 2006-2007...

Natural Habs Fan 01-23-2004 09:16 PM

Lang would be worth it. He's great. Imagine him with Balej & Ryder!

#44_delivers 01-23-2004 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
Lang would be worth it. He's great. Imagine him with Balej & Ryder!

i think he'd be worth it as well, but who do you think it would take to get him over here???

Mathletic 01-23-2004 09:20 PM

how' bout the Habs don't need this kind ... size ... of player

PrairieHabber 01-23-2004 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
how' bout the Habs don't need this kind ... size ... of player

Not sure what you mean. Lang is 6'3" 217 lbs...he may not play like a power forward but he's a big guy.

Habs4Life 01-23-2004 09:41 PM

I would rather get Peter Bondra.........He is a pure sniper.........

Think we could trade Marcel Hossa and a 2nd round pick in 2004 and get the capitals to pay most of his salary like they did for the rangers???

flick0069 01-23-2004 09:50 PM

If you look at what the Rangers had to pay to get Jagr and plus the Caps are paying 20 mio of the remainder of his salary, I don't think the price for Lang would be that high if we absorbed a majority of his salary. At 6'3" and 217lbs he is much bigger than our current cernter's. We would have alot of depth.

Kirk Muller 01-23-2004 10:12 PM

So you take away Koivu from Ryder despite them having probably having the best chemistry on the team. You disrespect your captain by shipping him to the 3rd line with grinders, although he is your best player, and most loyal player. Balej on your top line is laughable after his one NHL game.

If you wanted the best team possible, you would trade Ribeiro for that big checking centre that is so desperately needed, and go with Koivu and Lang as one-two. NOTE - I AM NOT IN FAVOUR OF TRADING RIBEIRO.

Montreal would be better off, if they want to do something for the stretch run and beyond, is go out and get a younger two way checking centre for the third line, especially if they are going to part with Hossa and Hainsey. Or maybe replace the invisible 6-5 Dagenais. Take into money issue and CBA, and there is no room for him on this team.

flick0069 01-23-2004 10:30 PM

I'm not disrespecting Saku at all. He's the best 2 way center we have. I put him with Bullis(which is currentely his line mate and I said Ward(who has not been getting much of a break on the 3rd and fourth line...remember he had better numbers than Ryder in the AHL) or Sundstrom with whom he played very well a few ago. Saku seems to play better when he is playing against the other teams best line. People get caught up with this first line, second line and third line crap. All 3 lines for the Habs have about the same ice time when playing 5 on 5. Juneau is on the ice about 18 minutes per and sometimes more. Would rather have Saku playing those minutes instead of Juneau. I would not rank the 3 lines and just say we have 3 top lines.
Balej on the top line is a bit of a stretch i admit but you have to give the kid his break....exactly like whe gave a Ryder a chance. I would only give either Hossa or Hainsey but not both.

Kirk Muller 01-23-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

I'm not disrespecting Saku at all. He's the best 2 way center we have. I put him with Bullis(which is currentely his line mate and I said Ward(who has not been getting much of a break on the 3rd and fourth line...remember he had better numbers than Ryder in the AHL) or Sundstrom with whom he played very well a few ago. Saku seems to play better when he is playing against the other teams best line. People get caught up with this first line, second line and third line crap. All 3 lines for the Habs have about the same ice time when playing 5 on 5. Juneau is on the ice about 18 minutes per and sometimes more. Would rather have Saku playing those minutes instead of Juneau. I would not rank the 3 lines and just say we have 3 top lines.
Balej on the top line is a bit of a stretch i admit but you have to give the kid his break....exactly like whe gave a Ryder a chance. I would only give either Hossa or Hainsey but not both.

But that is not Koivu's strength. Checking is not his best asset, and then you have a 5 million dollar checking line centre because as good as Koivu is, Ward and Bulis especially Ward is not a scorer. Don't bring up the AHL crap because he has proven nada. They are two different leagues.

BTW, Ryder earned his break. He busted his ass from day one. No one gave him his chance as you put it.

Lang doesn't fit for multiple reasons. Age, salary, contract length, CBA expiry, depth at centre. Then what do you do with Juneau and Perreault, and when Begin returns, and with Plecanek and Higgins knocking on the door

Habber 01-23-2004 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nash13
Montreal would be better off, if they want to do something for the stretch run and beyond, is go out and get a younger two way checking centre for the third line, especially if they are going to part with Hossa and Hainsey. Or maybe replace the invisible 6-5 Dagenais. Take into money issue and CBA, and there is no room for him on this team.

I don't understand this logic at all. Lang is one of the better centres in the game and I don't know why we wouldn't want him. Our payroll isn't sitting too bad and a lot of money will be freed up after the summer, so I don't think money is an issue. We wouldn't have to give up a whole lot to get him either.

To have Koivu, Ribs and Lang as your top 3 centres would be awesome. Like flick says, you don't need to call any a checking line, we would just have three solid lines. Look at Ottawa, they don't have a checking line and it works fine for them.

Kirk Muller 01-24-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
I don't understand this logic at all. Lang is one of the better centres in the game and I don't know why we wouldn't want him. Our payroll isn't sitting too bad and a lot of money will be freed up after the summer, so I don't think money is an issue. We wouldn't have to give up a whole lot to get him either.

To have Koivu, Ribs and Lang as your top 3 centres would be awesome. Like flick says, you don't need to call any a checking line, we would just have three solid lines. Look at Ottawa, they don't have a checking line and it works fine for them.

It has nothing to do with Lang's ability, but more to do with Montreal current situation as in depth, prospects who are close to making it, a glut of centres including Perreault and Juneau, the CBA expiry which is huge considering Lang's contract is long term.

Financially they are fine? Says who? Although Gillette is calm on the exterior and in the media, he is probably not to keen on spending money considering all the buyouts. Again the CBA expiry is a major issue.

Your thinking resembles the Rangers. Lets throw out as much money as possible, find the quick immediate solution (which it very well might not be) and hope they gel. The theory is good, but is just that.

KOMO_ROCKS 01-24-2004 12:03 AM

Quote:

It has nothing to do with Lang's ability, but more to do with Montreal current situation as in depth, prospects who are close to making it, a glut of centres including Perreault and Juneau, the CBA expiry which is huge considering Lang's contract is long term.

Financially they are fine? Says who? Although Gillette is calm on the exterior and in the media, he is probably not to keen on spending money considering all the buyouts. Again the CBA expiry is a major issue.

Your thinking resembles the Rangers. Lets throw out as much money as possible, find the quick immediate solution (which it very well might not be) and hope they gel. The theory is good, but is just that.

Well said :handclap:

Natural Habs Fan 01-24-2004 12:57 AM

Lang is a right shooting centre, something Gainey wants and a player I think would have a great impact on our team. $5 million a year is not a lot for a guy who has the ability to score as much as he can. He's skilled and he'll make his wingers better.

Based on what they got for Jagr maybe they'd bite on someone like Kilger or Hossa plus a 2nd rounder.

#44_delivers 01-24-2004 01:04 AM

Quote:

Lang is a right shooting centre, something Gainey wants and a player I think would have a great impact on our team. $5 million a year is not a lot for a guy who has the ability to score as much as he can. He's skilled and he'll make his wingers better.

Based on what they got for Jagr maybe they'd bite on someone like Kilger or Hossa plus a 2nd rounder.

hmm i dont know,im a bit more worried about our right wing depth,
i feel we need a good center and a right winger.

Kirk Muller 01-24-2004 01:06 AM

Quote:

Can anyone clarify this for me, I thought someone on these boards explained that Gainey didn't say he was shopping for a right handed centre, but it was an EXAMPLE of possible needs. It wasn't necessarily that he was actively looking for such a guy.

And Jagr is a completely different situation. They got Carter which is a decent return, and his astronomical salary compaired to Lang makes it a bit different. And we are talking the Rangers here, things are a bit different regarding them.

go leafs go 01-24-2004 02:04 AM

Wouldn't give up Hossa he has too much potential,i would try giving them kilger+low round draft pick or even perrault for lang

Marksman 01-24-2004 03:32 AM

I think some of you guys are fooled about his career high numbers this year. Hes had Jagr Bondra and Gonchar on his PP unit. Those are three players we cant provide him. Watch his production take nose dive now, that most of those guys are gone (if hes not moving himself too.) Someone mentioned him making his wingers better... I feel its the other way around. Remember how he was in this Penguin years putting him with 2nd line talent would kill his numbers.

Hes a solid 60-70 point man, but so are healthy Koivu and Ribeiro, who make about the same money COMBINED.

---

If there was someone I'd like from Caps it would be Bondra. He could mentor fellow slovakians Zednik Balej and Hossa, improve our weak LW position, and PP unit and make our 3rd line better bumping Bulis down there. But the main factor is he wouldnt be burden afterwards. I'm certain we could offer more than Shane Hnidy for him...:)

GhostOfTheForum 01-24-2004 05:28 AM

uhhhhhh

why don't we just trade all our team for Washington's so we can be way up in the standings like they are?

no but seriously, thinking about picking up a long term contract before the CBA is settled may not be a good idea and also some of our players that are doing so well are going to want more money soon ex. Ryder, Souray

we lost one game
and it was to New jersey where Brodeur making some great saves that changed the game

no need to panic yet

#44_delivers 01-24-2004 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostOfTheForum
why don't we just trade all our team for Washington's so we can be way up in the standings like they are?

no but seriously, thinking about picking up a long term contract before the CBA is settled may not be a good idea and also some of our players that are doing so well are going to want more money soon ex. Ryder, Souray

we lost one game
and it was to New jersey where Brodeur making some great saves that changed the game

no need to panic yet

i agree no need to panic yet, but we definaitly need a bit more size up front, some games we just get pushed around way too much even if end up winning the game the size issue is very important to drive into a playoff spot, a few smurfs is fine but a good mixture of size and talent is important.

goalchenyuk 01-24-2004 08:39 AM

Quote:

If you look at what the Rangers had to pay to get Jagr and plus the Caps are paying 20 mio of the remainder of his salary, I don't think the price for Lang would be that high if we absorbed a majority of his salary. At 6'3" and 217lbs he is much bigger than our current cernter's. We would have alot of depth.

jagr is a trouble maker and since he played for the Capitals he's not the player he should be and was wining 11 millions/year

Lang is the leader of the NHL by now , and he ''s not a trouble maker and he wins 5 millions.I think that his value is more hight than Jagr ,no ?

goalchenyuk 01-24-2004 08:58 AM

Quote:

So you take away Koivu from Ryder despite them having probably having the best chemistry on the team. You disrespect your captain by shipping him to the 3rd line with grinders, although he is your best player, and most loyal player. Balej on your top line is laughable after his one NHL game.

If you wanted the best team possible, you would trade Ribeiro for that big checking centre that is so desperately needed, and go with Koivu and Lang as one-two. NOTE - I AM NOT IN FAVOUR OF TRADING RIBEIRO.

best chemestry on the team ? I think that Ryder shows that kind of chimistry with all the players of the team he've played with...Sure ,'' Balej on the first line'' is a quick conclusion ,but we also didn't think that Ryder was going to be himself a first liner ...But i am not a buyer of a trade to get Lang ...he's having a career season and cost a lot.I think i would prefer to sign a Glen Murray ...

goalchenyuk 01-24-2004 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go leafs go
Wouldn't give up Hossa he has too much potential,i would try giving them kilger+low round draft pick or even perrault for lang

you forgot to put the little smilly under your post... :lol:

GhostOfTheForum 01-24-2004 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #44_delivers
i agree no need to panic yet, but we definaitly need a bit more size up front, some games we just get pushed around way too much even if end up winning the game the size issue is very important to drive into a playoff spot, a few smurfs is fine but a good mixture of size and talent is important.

I think we have a good mixture of everything and all they need are experience and a patient coach like CJ to move them around and get the right combination.

We have gone from "well, it's a rebuilding year" to "we might make the play-offs" to talking about moving to first place

I think that says alot for gainey's first year of rebuilding and the size we have just needs experience at this level

we are around the half way point and I think we are doing excellent and can only do better but if you want Lang, you can have him but it's coming out of your allowance