HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News on Ward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46440)

gohabsgo2010 01-24-2004 09:18 AM

News on Ward

According to Hickey in Gazette, Ward left with a dislocated shoulder.

http://www.canada.com/montreal/sport...E-3F218AA16AA2

RE-HABS 01-24-2004 09:24 AM

With this guys injuries all the time I get the feeling of Benoit Brunet all over again, good player but one will never get to see the full potential because of injuries. But even Brunet played more than this.

I still wonder if it is a fact of just bad conditioning and lack of weight to that size, Ward has never really filled in that big frame of his for the style he wants to play.

Marksman 01-24-2004 09:33 AM

Ward seems to have problems with shoulders. Hasnt he had these injuries before? Few pounds of upper body muscle might not hurt...

RE-HABS 01-24-2004 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman2
Ward seems to have problems with shoulders. Hasnt he had these injuries before? Few pounds of upper body muscle might not hurt...

From TSN themselves on Ward:
Flaws Doesn't own top-end skills and is still learning the pro game. Injuries have hampered his development. Expectations in his case were set too high

Injuries have always been a problem. Broken forearm, broken ankle, broken collar-bone, separated shoulders. His body seems too brittle for his style, please add some muscle to that frame of yours Jason.

oli500 01-24-2004 11:13 AM

does that mean balej well play vs the leafs tonight?

RE-HABS 01-24-2004 11:23 AM

He played with Ward in the line up last night so I am sure he is a certainty to play now no questions asked. Maybe he may even be with the Riberio - Zed combo because of his 3rd period play on that line last night?

Souffle 01-24-2004 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Flaws Doesn't own top-end skills and is still learning the pro game. Injuries have hampered his development. Expectations in his case were set too high

Injuries have always been a problem. Broken forearm, broken ankle, broken collar-bone, separated shoulders. His body seems too brittle for his style, please add some muscle to that frame of yours Jason.

I don't think conditioning and strength is the problem -- I think it's a combination of bad luck and trying too hard.

It's too bad. He is definitely a good addition to the team (when healthy). He plays a great checking game and really seems to understand Julien's system.

Carbonneau 01-24-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

With this guys injuries all the time I get the feeling of Benoit Brunet all over again, good player but one will never get to see the full potential because of injuries. But even Brunet played more than this.

Does this mean Ward is going to get fat too?

Habs 01-24-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

I still wonder if it is a fact of just bad conditioning and lack of weight to that size, Ward has never really filled in that big frame of his for the style he wants to play.

In my mind, it's because he can't skate and loses his balance easily.

Rahan 01-24-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs
In my mind, it's because he can't skate and loses his balance easily.

Your mind is out of the track.

Habs 01-24-2004 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahan
Your mind is out of the track.

So you are saying he can skate? Or are you going to inject lame comebacks instead?

Guy Caballero 01-24-2004 01:17 PM

Quote:

I agree. "Rangy" guys seem more susceptible to injuries when they play a bang-em-up style. He may not be the best guy out there, but I think you'll be far less likely to see Bouillon get hurt like Ward does, and he's bar none the most physical guy on the team.

Corey 01-24-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

So you are saying he can skate? Or are you going to inject lame comebacks instead?

You have a good point and Rahan is being snotty.

RE-HABS 01-24-2004 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I agree. "Rangy" guys seem more susceptible to injuries when they play a bang-em-up style. He may not be the best guy out there, but I think you'll be far less likely to see Bouillon get hurt like Ward does, and he's bar none the most physical guy on the team.

Look at Antropov same thing as Ward.

Cariboux 01-24-2004 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Does this mean Ward is going to get fat too?

:lol: :lol:

Mike8 01-24-2004 03:38 PM

The dislocated shoulder was bad luck and just being brittle. It had nothing to do with his skating or conditioning.

His injury earlier this year was a shot off the skate. Happens to the most durable of players. Bad luck again.

Ward is brittle, but he also runs into some bad luck.

Habs 01-24-2004 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
The dislocated shoulder was bad luck and just being brittle. It had nothing to do with his skating or conditioning.

His injury earlier this year was a shot off the skate. Happens to the most durable of players. Bad luck again.

Ward is brittle, but he also runs into some bad luck.

Obviously the shot off of the ankle wasn't conditioning related, but I'm suggesting his weakness on the skates isn't helping. He's playing a game his body isn't built for. A checking forward, needs to have some genetics and should be able to skate without tripping.

I mean, if you are falling four times as much as everyone you are bound to get more injuries. He often falls into the boards when trying to pivot, or stop. His hunched over style isn't exactly poetry in motion.

It's not the main reason he is injury prone, but I'm sure it doesn't help. Some people just cannot sustain much abuse to their body, Ward fits into this mold as did Brunet.

Blackshad 01-24-2004 04:40 PM

Yeah he will get fat hahaha
thanx for the laugh

montreal 01-24-2004 04:45 PM

Quote:

Obviously the shot off of the ankle wasn't conditioning related, but I'm suggesting his weakness on the skates isn't helping. He's playing a game his body isn't built for. A checking forward, needs to have some genetics and should be able to skate without tripping.

I mean, if you are falling four times as much as everyone you are bound to get more injuries. He often falls into the boards when trying to pivot, or stop. His hunched over style isn't exactly poetry in motion.

It's not the main reason he is injury prone, but I'm sure it doesn't help. Some people just cannot sustain much abuse to their body, Ward fits into this mold as did Brunet.

Ward is a bad skater, but I don't think his skating is the reason, although it doesn't help thats for sure. Ward, imo could be too small (weight) to play the crash and bang style (as he does run into the boards a lot, so you could be on to something). Bad Luck surely follows him though. I mean getting hit in the face but a puck while sitting on the bench? yikes. Either way I think it hurts the team when he's not in the lineup, so hopefully he can get back soon and stay healthy.

btw, when is his expected return date? 2-4 weeks?

Habs 01-24-2004 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Ward is a bad skater, but I don't think his skating is the reason, although it doesn't help thats for sure. Ward, imo could be too small (weight) to play the crash and bang style (as he does run into the boards a lot, so you could be on to something). Bad Luck surely follows him though. I mean getting hit in the face but a puck while sitting on the bench? yikes. Either way I think it hurts the team when he's not in the lineup, so hopefully he can get back soon and stay healthy.

btw, when is his expected return date? 2-4 weeks?

I heard 4-6 weeks.. but this is a tough injury to recover quickly from. And yes, he certainly does have a dark cloud following him!

Plan 9 01-24-2004 09:10 PM

Whoops.. Just started a new thread asking about Ward, but didn't see this thread until afterwards. So, I will just copy/paste my message in here.

How is Jason Ward looking this season? Do you guys think he has a future in the NHL, and if so, what are you expecting from him? Any constructive information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike8 01-24-2004 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koltsov71
How is Jason Ward looking this season? Do you guys think he has a future in the NHL, and if so, what are you expecting from him? Any constructive information would be appreciated. Thanks.

He's a difficult player to get a read on.

Ward is a terrible skater. Not in terms of speed, but in terms of balance and strength on his skates. He'll fall a half dozen times a game, sometimes while going untouched. He handles the puck like a hot potato, and has real difficulties changing direction. Added to that, Ward's shot is unspectacular, and he doesn't seem too aware of where he's passing the puck.

He's the most awkward player you'll ever see, in other words.

But somehow Ward manages to be a productive, sound defensive, and very likeable winger. He's used on the PK regularly, is versatile enough to take draws and play down the middle, has been used on Montreal's shut-down unit as well as on the second PP unit. He's even seen time on a scoring line on occasion.

Ward manages to make plays out of nothing. He's just a bound and determined player that isn't particularly gritty, but follows the puck wherever it goes, and can create plays as a result of that determination. The third line hasn't looked as good and created as many chances as it had before Ward was moved there for a good long while.

This is why I feel it's difficult to guage his potential. There's no individual skill that looks to be NHL-calibre, but he surprises me every time he's on the ice by making good plays. His instincts in the offensive zone and around the net are solid. He's the type of player that will inject energy and lead a line, rather than be a complementary player. He'll play his game regardless of whether he's on a line with Koivu or whether he's with Begin and Langdon.

On the whole, I think it'd be unfair to place expectations of anything more than a versatile fourth liner on him. And a brittle one at that. But he's a useful player: certainly not your typical fourth liner.

Corey 01-24-2004 10:37 PM

Except for fighting, Ward is a lot better hockey player than Langdon.

Habs 01-24-2004 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
He's a difficult player to get a read on.

Ward is a terrible skater. Not in terms of speed, but in terms of balance and strength on his skates. He'll fall a half dozen times a game, sometimes while going untouched. He handles the puck like a hot potato, and has real difficulties changing direction. Added to that, Ward's shot is unspectacular, and he doesn't seem too aware of where he's passing the puck.

He's the most awkward player you'll ever see, in other words.

But somehow Ward manages to be a productive, sound defensive, and very likeable winger. He's used on the PK regularly, is versatile enough to take draws and play down the middle, has been used on Montreal's shut-down unit as well as on the second PP unit. He's even seen time on a scoring line on occasion.

Ward manages to make plays out of nothing. He's just a bound and determined player that isn't particularly gritty, but follows the puck wherever it goes, and can create plays as a result of that determination. The third line hasn't looked as good and created as many chances as it had before Ward was moved there for a good long while.

This is why I feel it's difficult to guage his potential. There's no individual skill that looks to be NHL-calibre, but he surprises me every time he's on the ice by making good plays. His instincts in the offensive zone and around the net are solid. He's the type of player that will inject energy and lead a line, rather than be a complementary player. He'll play his game regardless of whether he's on a line with Koivu or whether he's with Begin and Langdon.

On the whole, I think it'd be unfair to place expectations of anything more than a versatile fourth liner on him. And a brittle one at that. But he's a useful player: certainly not your typical fourth liner.

Unfortunately, players like Ward are a dime a dozen. The good news is, he comes cheap.

His biggest problem, besides his skating? The fact he was a first round pick.

Many players succeed in the AHL, but never can crack the NHL because... their skating.. or durability, holds them back. Perhaps if Ward was a notorious fighter, or had other qualities.. I'd say he would have a long career.

However, he seems to be somewhere between a Sean Pronger, and a Patrick Poulin, which probably means a journeyman floating between the AHL, NHL and expansion teams.

I'm not trying to be too negative, but Ward just has not impressed me enough to believe otherwise.

mcphee 01-25-2004 08:38 AM

Sometimes you just take a liking for a player and for me Ward is one of them, much like a Cape Breton lw in a previous generation. I think that you can analyze it to death but MTL. is a better team when he plays. Whatever he adds, it helps. what he does well, the team seems to need. I find players like Poulin or Kilger for that matter tease with 1 or 2 games then slow down like a windup toy. Sadly though, the Brunet comparison is apt, not only from the injury point of a view. Ward and Brunet are sort of tweeners, not exactly and elite checker, not a consistent offensive threat, they contribute but their role changes from year to year. If you're old enough Houle was a bit like that. Good teams need guys who can play on any line for short periods and be effective, but not over the long haul. I think Ward is a better overall player than the journeymen you mention, but part of that is me hoping he will.