HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Proper Stretching (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=464515)

ApeZilla 01-11-2008 11:10 PM

Proper Stretching

I always stretch before skating, and I always think I stretch enough. However I have a recurring problem with my groin area. Halfway through any session/practice/game it starts aching and it stays that way for a few days after. I can never seem to stretch it enough as it always gets strained. Is there 1; any stretching tips you guys have specifically for the groin area before skating, and 2; how to sooth the pain in that particular area.
Thanks Guys.

Anthony Mauro 01-12-2008 12:35 AM

You absolutely, positively should not be doing ANY static stretches before skating. The best thing possible is for you to warm up your body by running, biking, stairclimbing...whatever for 5 minutes. Then, use dynamic stretching. This is active stretching and it will help put your body in positions (stretching) that you will later use (working out/playing).

Off the top of my head, there's an active Hamstring stretch, standing Glute stretch, active adductor stretch, and IT band stretch.

The inner thigh, groin area is the adductor. You use this muscle a ton when you skate. Things like crossovers, etc stress this area tremendously. I'd say you could possibly have a muscular imbalance. Something could be tight at the hip joint. Otherwise, if its a strain, tear you playing hockey frequently is not gonna let it heal and/or take the pain away.

I just searched real quickly and this looks like a reliable source. If you can, get that stretching rope, wrap it around each leg and draw it away from the midline of the body. Since adduction contraction is towards the midline of the body, to make the muscle relax you have to go in the opposite direction and contract its antagonist.

http://www.duhac.tcdlife.ie/Training...local_copy.php

MikeD 01-12-2008 11:39 AM

Sounds like you have an injury that you have not provided sufficient time to heal completely. Until that happens it will be a nagging injury for the remainder of the season.

Headcoach 01-12-2008 02:47 PM

Groin injury

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 12000617)
Sounds like you have an injury that you have not provided sufficient time to heal completely. Until that happens it will be a nagging injury for the remainder of the season.

I agree! If you don't take care of it now, you will continue to reinjure it. Hot tub and light stretching for now just to work the muscle. I would contact this guy
Kevin Miehm (kevin@hockeyspeedandpower.com)

He could help you get that injury back in line.

Headcoach

penguinsfanatic 02-05-2008 06:08 PM

well make sure you warm your muscles up properly first, then stretch....stretching does not warm the muscles up....I'm working on my strength and conditioning major and we were taught that stretching mostly benefits the muscle when it is stretched for 15-30 seconds for about 2-3 reps, preferably 30 seconds to really stretch the muscle but anywhere from 15-30 is ok......just put your skates on and skate moderately before you play, getting your blood flowing then start stretching.....most injuries occur because people don't stretch properly......oh yeah stretch really really slow that way you get the most out of it, stretching really fast doesnt help, for example touching your toes with your legs together, reach for your toes slowly so you really stretch out the muscles ya know, it just helps really prepare your muscles for exercise

Harv 02-05-2008 06:20 PM

You have to get your blood moving before stretiching. I always do a few laps around the rink before getting down to stretch. (Not hard laps, just a brisk skate to get me moving.)

penguinsfanatic 02-05-2008 06:22 PM

actually dude you should always ice down and injury because most of the time the area where the injury has occurred is inflamed and heat will just be a deterrent...heat should be used as instructed by a doctor and like 72 hours after you started icing. the doctor would just tell you to stay off it for a while and ice it down tell it feels better 20 mins of ice 20 mins off, and repeat.....just do light butterfly stretches before you play and read my post earlier about stretching and proper warm-up....but after you play on it ice it down for 20 mins then off for 20 and then again for 20 then off for 20, it will be cold but just bite the bullet. if the problem persists see a doctor and he will just tell you to ice it and stay off it or he could tell you if you tore or pulled something then he would just tell you to stay off it and ice it....lol