HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Souray getting tired? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46479)

tinyzombies 01-24-2004 12:51 PM

Souray getting tired?

He's not used to playing an entire year and we've all noticed a drop in his play the last week or so. You think he's getting tired?

I hold out the same concerns for Ryder, Dagenais, Ribeiro and Bouillon. We're relying on a lot of guys who have not played full seasons before...Hopefully they are well enough conditioned for it...

4shelley4 01-24-2004 12:57 PM

Hi

It was one game man, the leafs are dead.

Kirk Muller 01-24-2004 01:02 PM

It is definitely something to watch out for because like you said he hasn't played a full year in quite a while, but also, he has never played 25 to 30 minutes a game before.

We noticed a much downfall of play with both Markov and Rivet last year as we saw both of them get many more minutes than they were used to.

Rahan 01-24-2004 01:05 PM

That's why I would have liked him not going to the all-star game to benefit from the break that the event brings..

RE-HABS 01-24-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He's not used to playing an entire year and we've all noticed a drop in his play the last week or so. You think he's getting tired?

I hold out the same concerns for Ryder, Dagenais, Ribeiro and Bouillon. We're relying on a lot of guys who have not played full seasons before...Hopefully they are well enough conditioned for it...

It would be different if they were fresh from Europe or the NCAA where they play 30, - 40 games a year, Ryder, Ribs, Dagenais, Bouillon and others have all played full schedules in Juniors and in the AHL so the length of the season isn't a factor with either of them.

Plus with Souray one had to know he wasn't going to keep his torrid pace of goal scoring, you have to notice he is still playing well without the puck and still is the Habs best DMan and a solid contributer.

Your being judgemental too early, if it was a month and his play and the others were inconsistant I may worry a bit but it's not and it isn't a factor.

19 points out of a possible 24 and people are still finding problems and aren't happy?

jacklours 01-24-2004 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raketheleaves

I'm not too worried of any of those guys conditioning. What i'm worried about is that they get kinda sick of hockey after playing so many games. It happens to everyone, you reach that stage when you don't really want to go on the ice anymore. They'll probably be entering it soon.

Guy Caballero 01-24-2004 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Plus with Souray one had to know he wasn't going to keep his torrid pace of goal scoring, you have to notice he is still playing well without the puck and still is the Habs best DMan and a solid contributer.

You're right. I still look at Souray as primarily a defensive defenseman. If he didn't score another goal all year but continued to play as well as he has in his own zone, I'd be happy. Also, even though he's struggled to score, he's still contributed on the PP by drawing attention to himself at the point and giving Ryder and Ribeiro more room to do their thing.

RE-HABS 01-24-2004 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
You're right. I still look at Souray as primarily a defensive defenseman. If he didn't score another goal all year but continued to play as well as he has in his own zone, I'd be happy. Also, even though he's struggled to score, he's still contributed on the PP by drawing attention to himself at the point and giving Ryder and Ribeiro more room to do their thing.

Thats the thing in Montreal, when a player like Souray does well you get too many people thinking he has to become Gonchar and if he doesn't well he is playing badly and whats his problem. Souray isn't the type, he is a solid contributer that could be a decent 10- 20 goal scorer if he is to get his PP time and dished the puck to utlized that powerful slapper of his, but like you said if he doesn't score another goal but continues his solid defensive and hitting game I will still be very happy. A year ago we all though he would never play again, today he is an AllStar and potentially in the top 5 for the Norris...we should just all be very happy for him.

KOMO_ROCKS 01-24-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Thats the thing in Montreal, when a player like Souray does well you get too many people thinking he has to become Gonchar and if he doesn't well he is playing badly and whats his problem. Souray isn't the type, he is a solid contributer that could be a decent 10- 20 goal scorer if he is to get his PP time and dished the puck to utlized that powerful slapper of his, but like you said if he doesn't score another goal but continues his solid defensive and hitting game I will still be very happy. A year ago we all though he would never play again, today he is an AllStar and potentially in the top 5 for the Norris...we should just all be very happy for him.

Well said :handclap: