HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   GDT: Nucks @ Hannus 01/13/08 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=465131)

General Veers 01-13-2008 05:47 PM

GDT: Nucks @ Hannus 01/13/08

Nucks up 2-1. We've taken some dumb penalties so far.

crackout 01-13-2008 05:54 PM

How are we looking, penalties apart?

Playing any better than the first period on Friday night?

General Veers 01-13-2008 06:07 PM

No, we need more shift-to-shift intensity or it's going to end up 6-1.

Celtic Note 01-13-2008 06:09 PM

We don't look good, but not terrible either. Backman has a goal and a hit...hell just froze over! :sarcasm:! Our D has let the Nucks score 3.

General Veers 01-13-2008 06:12 PM

I hope Backman keeps making nice plays, it'll increase his trade value!

Walt scores on a breakaway!

EDIT: ANOTHER breakaway! :amazed:

Celtic Note 01-13-2008 06:13 PM

Keith ripped a shot over the glove hand, off a breakaway. Assisted by PK and Backman...lol! WOW

Celtic Note 01-13-2008 06:15 PM

Keith almost had a repeat...this time on the backhand, just nicked the glove and went over the crossbar.
KT almost looks like #9 out there with his speed and stick skills.

BluesDarb 01-13-2008 07:16 PM

Boyes = money.

And on the PP to boot!

General Veers 01-13-2008 07:16 PM

Backes=Neely :biglaugh:

General Veers 01-13-2008 07:21 PM

What are we gonna do tonight Daniel?
The same thing we do every night Henrik, try to take over the world!
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006...sedins_275.jpg

Celtic Note 01-13-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthVTEC (Post 12023798)
What are we gonna do tonight Daniel?
The same thing we do every night Henrik, try to take over the world!
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006...sedins_275.jpg

They sure took us for a ride. :rant: Sweet reference though!

P.S. Not very good poise from our players in the shootout. Plus why no Stempy?

crackout 01-13-2008 07:44 PM

I hate shootout losses. I hate to say that I have little hope of getting the win going into them for some reason.

Nice to see we again showed some dig and came from a couple of goals down; even if we didn't get the win.

Robb_K 01-13-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackout (Post 12024266)
I hate shootout losses. I hate to say that I have little hope of getting the win going into them for some reason.

Nice to see we again showed some dig and came from a couple of goals down; even if we didn't get the win.

Only ONE shootout goal this season(according to Kerber)! And yet several people think that IF Boston offered Kessel for Jackman and a choice (maybe 3rd or 4th) or Jackman and Mayers, The Blues shouldn't make the trade because there'd be "no place for him to play"!!! -Not to mention the Power Play!

Although, I have to give them credit for coming back in the third period, and getting that valuable point. But, with that giant roadtrip looming, The Blues really need to win as many of these home games against "tired road teams" as possible. That one extra point to The Canucks might mean a difference in playoff seeding, or worse, might be the difference between getting in and not (it WILL be very close among 6-7 teams for those last 4 seedings, this season).

However MacDonald looks like he really will help the offence a lot. I just would like to see the forward lines get set to more regular trios, so they can get more used to each other faster.

The power play looked a bit better. It seems to be on a slow improvement track (but I guess that isn't too hard to achieve when you've been in the abyss).

CuSa_1 01-13-2008 09:37 PM

Can't trade Jackman, we'd have the softest defense in NHL history.

WalterSobchak 01-13-2008 09:42 PM

I missed the first half of the game, forgot it was on. I don't get to see many so tha pissed me off and it was already 3-2.

I thought they played well in the 2nd half. Ground it out, played good team defence. I even saw Backman hit a few people, so hopefully he's decided to reform himself.

Kariya, Boyes, McDonald looked good together
Backes is devolping nicely
Stempy was moving which is a good sign
and Mayers was very in the game
as always I love RJs game.

I figured it was over when it came to the shootout but getting the 1 point was good. We have to remember our goals for this season. if we make the playoffs, thats great but that is an accomplishement in itself and if we miss it...thats fine too.

this team is growing together and that is what I love. This game felt much like 2 teams on the opposite sides of the wave that all franchises take. Vancouver is on its way down, St. Louis is on their way up.

Steveorama 01-13-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 12026677)
Vancouver is on its way down, St. Louis is on their way up.

:biglaugh:

Tleve 01-13-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 12026677)
Vancouver is on its way down, St. Louis is on their way up.

How so - you do know that we've been hit big time with injuries all year right? And we're still managing to stay at the top of the NW division.

WalterSobchak 01-13-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tleve (Post 12027609)
How so - you do know that we've been hit big time with injuries all year right? And we're still managing to stay at the top of the NW division.

yeah, and it exposed Vancouvers lack of depth. If it was not for Luongo Vancouver would be in huge trouble. Sedins or no Sedins.

I am not saying the Canucks are not a decent team, but they don't have the prospect depth they used to, they've spent most of it getting close to the cup and are on the downslope. I am not saying they are going to have to bottom out like St. Louis did a couple years back but until they've rebuilt their depth they are going to rely on Luongo very heavily.

If not for Florida's horrible trade, Vancouver would be a mess right now.

Tleve 01-13-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox (Post 12027698)
yeah, and it exposed Vancouvers lack of depth. If it was not for Luongo Vancouver would be in huge trouble. Sedins or no Sedins.

I am not saying the Canucks are not a decent team, but they don't have the prospect depth they used to, they've spent most of it getting close to the cup and are on the downslope. I am not saying they are going to have to bottom out like St. Louis did a couple years back but until they've rebuilt their depth they are going to rely on Luongo very heavily.

The Sedin's are playing very well and our D is fantastic. Our prospect depth is better than it has been in a very long time - not on par with San Jose mind you but respectable. We're not strong on offence now but our depth on D is phenomenal and as you said - we've got Luongo. We've been near the top of the league all year - despite all our injuries - we are better than just a "decent" team.

It's the Vancouver's on the way down comment that got me.:shakehead

Canucks5551 01-14-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

We had prospect depth? :amazed:

We only gave up 2nd and 3rd rounders in deadline deals in the past years, and knowing our scouts (minus Gradin) they wouldn't have amounted to anything anyways.

As for depth on our team right now, our defensive depth is amazing. Not many other teams, if any, could go without two of their top 4 defencemen for the stretch we have and still keep the division lead. That's not even mentioning the loss of our #2 centre either. I'm not claiming we have good forward depth though.

Edit: apparently Pyatt has a broken jaw too. That will be a huge blow seeing as he was playing great both with and without the Sedins before this. You've got to be freaking kidding me!

Brownie 01-14-2008 01:40 AM

Quote:

I am not saying the Canucks are not a decent team, but they don't have the prospect depth they used to.

Used to? Under Brian Burke we had one of the most pathetic prospect pools in the league. Under Nonis, our scouting has improved a lot. Notice Alex Edler who scored the SO winner? Drafted by Nonis.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Steveorama 01-14-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

but they don't have the prospect depth they used to, they've spent most of it getting close to the cup and are on the downslope.

Come on.
Their defense youth: Bieksa, Edler, Bourdon, McIver, Ellington and Sharrow looks like the basis for a pretty good D for years to come.
They have one of the top goaltending prospects around in Cory Schneider.
Their forward prospect depth is weaker but Raymond, Hansen, Grabner, Labrie, Gendur and White all look like they will contribute in this league, along with the grinders like Brown and Rypien. Kesler is only 23. Hell, the Sedins are only 27 and Luongo is just 28, so the Canucks' key players are not exactly aged.
I was a lot more concerned with the Canucks lack of prospect depth 2 years ago than I am right now.

c-carp 01-14-2008 03:57 PM

This was a good point getting down 3-1 to the team with the best goalie in the league,( arguably) I didnt hold out much hope for a point.