HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Suter (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=466289)

Fat Elvis 01-16-2008 01:53 PM

Suter

His name has come up some in trade talks and proposals, one which includes Mike Cammalleri.

Living in the LA area, we don't get a chance to see many Preds games. So can some of you give a breakdown of Suter's game? I see stats, but I'd like to hear from fans who see him play all the time.

Thanks

Reaper45 01-17-2008 12:43 AM

Nobody...

braindead 01-17-2008 11:45 AM

Well, since everyone else is too lazy....

Suter skates and moves very well and I would describe him as a very good puck moving d-man with the caveat that he from time to time makes a really boneheaded mistake (as expected for a young guy).

He has good hockey sense- not surprising given his dad's and uncle's influence. He is a big strong guy (not huge but very solid) but I think played softer than he could until this year. He is learning to use his size better this year but I think in the long run he will improve this aspect further and be a punishing, nasty player as he continues to develop.

His shot is solid- reasonably heavy- but not fearsome. He has some offensive flair and is PP material.

Downsides: He still misreads plays from time to time and gets caught out of position (actually he may be covering for Zids in many of those cases so it may not

Top 2 potential for sure. Likely top 2 today on more than 1/3 of the teams.

Fat Elvis 01-17-2008 12:07 PM

Thanks braindead.

Does a Cammalleri for Suter deal make sense to Preds fans? Or would you rather keep a player like Suter in hopes someone else is moved?

vipera1960 01-17-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12073203)
Thanks braindead.

Does a Cammalleri for Suter deal make sense to Preds fans? Or would you rather keep a player like Suter in hopes someone else is moved?

Cammalleri for Suter is a good deal value wise, but if Cammy being a UFA after this season I don't think I would do it. If he signs an extension or the Preds have something worked out ahead of time, then it's a different matter.

Enoch 01-17-2008 01:45 PM

It would really depend on Cammalleri's contract status and UFA date. There is no point in dealing 4-5 years of Suter, for 1-2 years of Cammalleri, especially given his injury problems.

Fat Elvis 01-17-2008 01:57 PM

Cammy is a UFA after Next season. Close to 3 mil per. If he keeps up his play 30+ and 70+, I would expect him to earn around 5-5.5 per. Could be a sticking point depending on your cap figures. Maybe LA adds a conditional pick in 09' depending if he resigns or not?

Isn't Suter a RFA after this season?

braindead 01-17-2008 02:05 PM

I'm not wild about the deal for that reason. I'd rather take a player that is next coming up on RFA status (not this year) that is less proven but with upside

Enoch 01-17-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12074752)
Cammy is a UFA after Next season. Close to 3 mil per. If he keeps up his play 30+ and 70+, I would expect him to earn around 5-5.5 per. Could be a sticking point depending on your cap figures. Maybe LA adds a conditional pick in 09' depending if he resigns or not?

Isn't Suter a RFA after this season?

So basically this is a horrible trade for the Preds. We are on the bottom rungs of the playoff hunt....We certainly shouldn't be moving potential cornerstone defensemen for UFA to be.

Fat Elvis 01-17-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 12079424)
So basically this is a horrible trade for the Preds. We are on the bottom rungs of the playoff hunt....We certainly shouldn't be moving potential cornerstone defensemen for UFA to be.

A ufa after next season 09-10'. If he thinks your team is headed in the right direction, he'll sign IMO.

But I do understand your points. That's why I asked about Suter's game. If he has that potential, why the need to move him? Do your best to move Zid or another dman and lock Suter, Weber and Ham up long term.

So, how's Klein's game? ;)

Enoch 01-17-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12081338)
A ufa after next season 09-10'. If he thinks your team is headed in the right direction, he'll sign IMO.

But I do understand your points. That's why I asked about Suter's game. If he has that potential, why the need to move him? Do your best to move Zid or another dman and lock Suter, Weber and Ham up long term.

So, how's Klein's game? ;)

Don't get me wrong, I think Cammalleri and Suter is fair value player wise, but when you factor in salary demands and FA....the edge goes to Suter. Now, if we were top 3 in the league as we were last year, this is a trade that very likely could be made.

I like Klein - a lot. If I was an inquiring team, I would push for Klein. He skates, hits, plays decent defense.....whenever he gets a true chance to start, he is going to make some team happy.

Fat Elvis 01-17-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 12081898)
Don't get me wrong, I think Cammalleri and Suter is fair value player wise, but when you factor in salary demands and FA....the edge goes to Suter. Now, if we were top 3 in the league as we were last year, this is a trade that very likely could be made.

I like Klein - a lot. If I was an inquiring team, I would push for Klein. He skates, hits, plays decent defense.....whenever he gets a true chance to start, he is going to make some team happy.

What's a reasonable offer for Klein?
Tukonen? +?

peteo 01-20-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 12083789)
What's a reasonable offer for Klein?
Tukonen? +?

What is a fair offer from Philly for Klein.

Joe T Choker 01-20-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteo (Post 12117397)
What is a fair offer from Philly for Klein.

The Hamburglar ?