HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   At least someone understands what's happening (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=466468)

pld459666 01-17-2008 07:27 AM

At least someone understands what's happening

Shanahan in today's post taliking about the kid line

"There's something about being young and not knowing the potential for catastrophe and dismantling the older guys have seen when things don't go well," said Shanahan. "They're younger, they're relaxed, it's another game to them, while the rest of us understand that the wins have to start coming."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01172008...ory_798390.htm

I wonder if some of the other older guys understand this concept.

My hit list right now includes

Shanahan (back to Detroit for Justin Abdelkader)
Roszival (can probably get a nice package for him)
Malik (His absence makes the Rangers better)
Hossa (do I need to justify his inclusion?)
Jagr (if the offer is right) I really don't think he's back next year anyway.

If the wins do not start coming, I would look to move all of the above.

I Am Chariot 01-17-2008 07:47 AM

yes well , this is the speech he should be giving to those young guys and the rest of the team.

LamoTheKid 01-17-2008 08:55 AM

Is there an echo in this board? Yes, lets definely trade Shannahan, one of the leaders on the team, one of our best scorers (and lets be honest, not many are scoring on this team), and the guy whos always out there talking to the refs. :shakehead: yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And WEIRD you hate Malik and Hossa. You want to trade Jagr.

Can we just have a perpetual ZOMG TEH SKYE IS FALLING LETS TRADE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN TO COLORADO FOR A FIRST, 3RD AND 6TH!!!

The hfboards rangers forum is like the global warming south park episode.

shady8277 01-17-2008 10:04 AM

i agree on hossa and malik if we start winning, yes good chance they are gone based on last seasons. Rozsival isnt going anywhere yet, they arent going to trade the captain, and the only reason shanny would go back to detroit is if he wanted to which he doesnt. He loves NY and i believe will retire a ranger whenever that time comes. Hes one of the few thats worth the money

Sad London Ranger 01-17-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 12070080)

"There's something about being young and not knowing the potential for catastrophe and dismantling the older guys have seen when things don't go well," said Shanahan. "They're younger, they're relaxed, it's another game to them, while the rest of us understand that the wins have to start coming."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01172008...ory_798390.htm

I wonder if some of the other older guys understand this concept.

My hit list right now includes

Shanahan (back to Detroit for Justin Abdelkader)
Roszival (can probably get a nice package for him)
Hossa (do I need to justify his inclusion?)
Jagr (if the offer is right) I really don't think he's back next year anyway.

If the wins do not start coming, I would look to move all of the above.

This is NYR you are talking about. We don't trade players to finish career elsewhere.
We'll have a nice retirement party extravaganza with ticker tape for Shanny and then
Jagr.

Next we get Forsberg out of retirement like we got Guy Lafleur. Storybook

WhipNash27 01-17-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger (Post 12071739)
This is NYR you are talking about. We don't trade players to finish career elsewhere.
We'll have a nice retirement party extravaganza with ticker tape for Shanny and then
Jagr.

Next we get Forsberg out of retirement like we got Guy Lafleur. Storybook

I guess Brian Leetch was an exception huh?

shady8277 01-17-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 12072101)
I guess Brian Leetch was an exception huh?

i take back what i said about the captain thing... (messier to vancouver) but i dont think theres going to be a trade

Prospalous 01-17-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 12070080)

EL OH EL

oh really? thats why hes been the most consisten d man out there since his comeback. stop getting on the hate malik bandwagon, i'd like to see him stay over roszival.

TheSchwab 01-17-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 (Post 12073219)
EL OH EL

oh really? thats why hes been the most consisten d man out there since his comeback. stop getting on the hate malik bandwagon, i'd like to see him stay over roszival.

ok ok we all know about the malik-haters and the malik-defenders and the "hate malik bandwagon" - but he has most certinly not been the most consistent dman since his return -- im not sure exactly who is, but it hasnt been him.

pld459666 01-17-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 (Post 12073219)
EL OH EL

I've been driving that wagon for a few years now.

Most consistent? sad that your expectations are so low.

Personally I hate the make up of this team. It doesn't reflect the people or city they play in othe rthan being a diverse group.

I love the Rangers, but hate the style they play, do not believe they have the right people in place to play that defensive system as it forces you to get down and dirty on offence because there's no allowance for offensive creativity. I can't stand the fact that the team is so passive. That's not a NY type personality. I want an in your face kind of team that does the pushing around, not the other way around. I want a fast paced high pressure team that can skate with anyone, with the physical attributes to knock they other team on their arse in the process.

The fact that Buffalo played like crap last night and we barely got a W does nothing to instill any confidence in this team.

The habits that have been developed by this team this season is going to be out downfall.

There's just to many things that I don't like about the way this team is constructed. I can go on for hours.

eco's bones 01-17-2008 12:56 PM

'If the wins do not start coming, I would look to move all of the above'--of which pld mentions Shanny, Roszival, Malik, Hossa and Jagr--to which I would include Mara, Strudwick and Straka (though Martin is one of my favorites). Sorry but, I don't see anything wrong about pld's analysis. To be a little clearer if the Rangers hopes for playoffs are more or less done by the time the trade deadline comes around there is no point in keeping this group together--some of whom might be heading back to Europe and in Shanny's case--someone who might retire--and even if you could return the entire group why would you bring back a team with many older players that has underachieved as badly as they have? For that matter in such a scenario I would be looking for a buyer for Drury as well.

pld459666 01-17-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WithChawwclateSawwce (Post 12070662)
Is there an echo in this board? Yes, lets definely trade Shannahan, one of the leaders on the team, one of our best scorers (and lets be honest, not many are scoring on this team), and the guy whos always out there talking to the refs. :shakehead: yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And WEIRD you hate Malik and Hossa. You want to trade Jagr.

Can we just have a perpetual ZOMG TEH SKYE IS FALLING LETS TRADE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN TO COLORADO FOR A FIRST, 3RD AND 6TH!!!

Absolutely. The team is doing crap with him, can they really do much worse ithout him?

The fact that he's leading this team in goals scored is a pathetic statement on the rest of the team. We have at least 3 other players that should have more goals that him right now. To say that he's our leading goalscorer is not a good thing right now. It's an indictment on how bad the rest of the team is.

Why is it wierd that I hate Hossa and Malik, I have hated both for the last 2 years. Nothing has changed. They are soft, cluelsee at what they are supposed to do and the money could be better spent elsewhere. We have kids in the minors that can do as much nothing as these two do and get paid alot less to do it.

Jagr is not happy. The sooner that some of you realize it, the better off we will all be. Yes he's saying all the right things, but we are seeing the Washington Capital version of Jagr. His head may be saying one thing, but his heart is no longer behind this system. We are playing a more stifling defensive system than what the Caps were playing then, and some of you really think that he'd be happy playing that style because he's a few years older? Bah.

nyr7andcounting 01-17-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Well the trade deadline is like 5 weeks away and it's wise to decide on some kind of plan 1-2 weeks before the deadline. So the way I see it the current roster has about 3 weeks to show it can definitely make the playoffs. If we're in 11th place 3 weeks from now, than we should certainly get something for the guys who aren't going to be in NY past this season.

We're last in the division, playing under .500 hockey, abandoned the great defensive game which was the only reason we were any good to begin with, and only a handful of points better than the 12th place Panthers. So I think it makes plenty of sense to, at some point in the next month, consider trading Shanny or another vet who might not help us past this season

pld459666 01-17-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting (Post 12074324)
Well the trade deadline is like 5 weeks away and it's wise to decide on some kind of plan 1-2 weeks before the deadline. So the way I see it the current roster has about 3 weeks to show it can definitely make the playoffs. If we're in 11th place 3 weeks from now, than we should certainly get something for the guys who aren't going to be in NY past this season.

We're last in the division, playing under .500 hockey, abandoned the great defensive game which was the only reason we were any good to begin with, and only a handful of points better than the 12th place Panthers. So I think it makes plenty of sense to, at some point in the next month, consider trading Shanny or another vet who might not help us past this season

Here's a statement, we have had 1 very good month of Hockey, 1 medicore month of Hockey and 2 (including January so far) very bad months of hockey.

I see nothing that this team is doing to lead me to believe they are capable of playing in February AND March the way they played in November. And as with stocks, past performance is not an indicator of future results and I for one would not invest any belief that this team can repeat last years stretch run

October 4-6-1
November 10-3-1
December 6-6-2
January 2-5-1

aslim240 01-17-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

haha love it. I actually was excited at the start of the original post, because this was the first time i saw the quote, and i was hoping the post would be about the enthusiasm from the kid line spreading to the rest of the team.

and my next thought came out sounding a bit harsher than I intended it to, but i dont see how Ranger fans expect to win this year with the trades (the realistic ones) that get proposed of giving up on so many veteran players.

It seems that Malik/Hossa haters who want to trade everyone are people who usually only see the very obvious stuff. Although I think it would be obvious that trading the 2 guys who have 25% of our goals when we are last in the league in goals/game would make it even tougher to score and win. Get rid of the penalty killers, get rid of the guys who have won Stanley Cups and are teaching the young guys. This does not make sense to me if you want to win (and i dont mean just this year either). Does this mean nothing needs to be changed? Of course not.

But tweaks make sense. Play the kid line more, try and get Jagr to stop taking hoooking penalties, find a way to only have the first and third period count.

I know politics is pretty much kept off these boards but this reminds me a bit of earlier in the year, when there was a group of people saying we should quit the battle and go home, and another group of people said we have the best warriors, lets tweak our strategy and start winning again. I know my vote is to tweak our strategy and start winning again.

RangerBoy 01-17-2008 02:05 PM

From the same article

Quote:

Maybe Dubinsky, Prucha and linemate Nigel Dawes are simply too young to recognize the tension that had begun to envelop the team, for while most of the Blueshirts were squeezing their sticks as the game evolved into a battle for survival, the Kid Line appeared to be out for a skate on the pond.
Why are the Rangers players so tense?They still have nearly 1/2 of the season remaining.Don't they remember what happened last season?6 points out of a playoff on trade deadline and they finished in 6th

GregNYR19 01-17-2008 02:33 PM

welcome to madison square garden old folks home

GregNYR19 01-17-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 12074866)
From the same article

Why are the Rangers players so tense?They still have nearly 1/2 of the season remaining.Don't they remember what happened last season?6 points out of a playoff on trade deadline and they finished in 6th

its a new season!! i want to believe they will get out of it like last year but its a completely different season i do not trust them

Fletch 01-17-2008 02:38 PM

So...

the kids don't feel pressure? Yes, makes perfect sense. Prucha has never been in the good graces of Renney long enough to ever feel comfortable. So now he's relaxed? Dawes has been a yo-yo between NY and HFD and seemingly has played well at times to warrant staying up but gets sent down when there is no longer room. He's comfortable? Dubi came up and played with Jagr and now finds himself playing less than Betts. I'm sure he doesn't want to go back to HFD, so he's relaxed? Oh, and they can't see the motions their teammates are going through struggling to win games or feel the pressure from the inside to get back on top? I dunno, I think those kids are under a tremendous amount of pressure, especially when the top lines aren't scoring because then a guy like Prucha gets targeted for not scoring even when he's playing 10 minutes per game.

Jaromir Jagr 01-17-2008 02:39 PM

You really don't want to put yourself in a position to do another last year miracle and get like 17 wins out of 20 games. You really don't. It's stressful for everyone and by the time the playoffs come around you'll be burnt.

Like Drury said, "we need to get something going here before the break"..

4 more games until the break, really you need to win AT LEAST 3. We want to stay competitive, and we certainly are capable of beating both teams. We could come out with 4. But at the very least we should be hoping for 5-6/8 points.

segmentation fault 01-17-2008 03:02 PM

Is the sky finally falling?

eco's bones 01-17-2008 03:18 PM

The point is if we've reached the trade deadline and we're 12th or 13th in the conference and say 7 or 8 points back of the 8th place team do you hang on to a bunch of guys who are mid to late 30's, some going into UFA over the summer or fairly likely going back to Europe, and others such as Hossa who have never come close to reaching their upside. Do we hang on to all these guys, hope to sign them all again in the off season and do a repeat performance next year? I'm not saying that this is going to be our situation at the end of February but the potential is there that it will be--and holding on to a Jagr and a Shanahan when we have almost no chance of making the playoffs would be just dumb--at least IMO. I wouldn't count on this team having a big finish all over again like last year. History doesn't always repeat itself. The Rangers need to turn it around in the next 3 or 4 weeks or think seriously about cutting bait.

NYR Viper 01-17-2008 04:00 PM

if the rangers are 7 or more points back come the week before the trade deadline, i expect sather to trade shanahan and jagr for the best possible package they can.....along with straka and mara and to either trade or waive malik and hossa