HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   More Burke Speculation (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46701)

hbk 01-25-2004 09:05 AM

More Burke Speculation
 
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html


I guess the Rangers getting shelled last night 9-1 will have the press in a buzz. Regardless, I caught most of that game and I would be shocked if between periods Sather wasn't calling Barnett, Feaster, McPhee, etc.

With the Flyers moving all of the assets we'd be looking for in a deal for Burke, the Rangers are the much better alternative.

The list of desirable assets include:
Jessiman
Baranka
Tyutin
Lundmark
draft picks

Should spark a whole new generation of anti-Burke posts. Actually, Burke might be able to take charge of that dressing room. On paper, the Rangers should be one of the best teams in the league (ok the defense sucks royally but you get my point). Also, Burke has the ability to make a lot of defensemen look good.

ParisSaintGermain 01-25-2004 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html


I guess the Rangers getting shelled last night 9-1 will have the press in a buzz. Regardless, I caught most of that game and I would be shocked if between periods Sather wasn't calling Barnett, Feaster, McPhee, etc.

With the Flyers moving all of the assets we'd be looking for in a deal for Burke, the Rangers are the much better alternative.

The list of desirable assets include:
Jessiman
Baranka
Tyutin
Lundmark
draft picks

Should spark a whole new generation of anti-Burke posts. Actually, Burke might be able to take charge of that dressing room. On paper, the Rangers should be one of the best teams in the league (ok the defense sucks royally but you get my point). Also, Burke has the ability to make a lot of defensemen look good.

With Boucher still very hot and the injury circumstances around the league, I bet Barnett will enjoy reading a new generation of anti-Burke posts on HFboards. :rolly:

vsmith 01-25-2004 12:44 PM

Ok, maybe there'll be a storm of anti-Burke posts after mine, but IMO: Keep him! As a first goalie who's currently resting while the backup is hotter than hell or as a backup to the hotter-than-hell-backup, but keep him. After this season... either retire him and his number or let him go play in Spartak Moscow. I wanna see Sean play as well! :) :joker:

hbk 01-25-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsmith
Ok, maybe there'll be a storm of anti-Burke posts after mine, but IMO: Keep him! As a first goalie who's currently resting while the backup is hotter than hell or as a backup to the hotter-than-hell-backup, but keep him. After this season... either retire him and his number or let him go play in Spartak Moscow. I wanna see Sean play as well! :) :joker:

Unless we get a desirable asset in return, I wouldn't be anxious to pull the trigger on a Burke deal. Makes no sense for Phoenix to deal their best insurance towards making a run at the playoffs this season and perhaps next season as well (provided their is a season). For me a mid-round pick will not be enough to justify a transaction. The return has to make sense (and I'm not saying equivalent value to the team because we are talking unproven prospects and draft picks in return) for Phoenix to make a deal. Standing room only crowds (1500 standing room seats sold last night) and a team in the middle of a playoff race is not a great time to start removing key compenents to the franchise. Things are good in Coyote land these days.

Coyotes Fan 01-25-2004 01:10 PM

Yeah I was thinking that Sather will acquire a goalie very soon after last nights game, Burke will probably be one of the first hes gonna think about but I dont think it should happen. I like Boucher but I still like the security of having Burke too. They should probably try Joseph or Khabibulin.

PhoPhan 01-25-2004 01:12 PM

The Rangers have a lot of former high picks that have been underachieving. Hugh Jessiman is everything Barnett loves, and Lundmark could likely be moved too. I don't want to see guys like Poti or Malakhov or Simon coming to Phoenix. It's prospects, picks, and very little else.

hbk 01-25-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoPhan
The Rangers have a lot of former high picks that have been underachieving. Hugh Jessiman is everything Barnett loves, and Lundmark could likely be moved too. I don't want to see guys like Poti or Malakhov or Simon coming to Phoenix. It's prospects, picks, and very little else.

with Tanabe out, Poti may be a possibility. However, the Rangers are incredibly thin on their blueline so that would have to be classified as unlikely.

Coyotes Fan 01-25-2004 01:21 PM

I doubt anyone would get a defenseman out of New York at this point. Sather has been shopping or has shopped Poti around but in the situation their in I would think Sather changed his mind, then again who knows with Sather. Lundmark would be nice but its kinda hard to believe them getting rid of him since they put so much time and work into his development.

Gwyddbwyll 01-25-2004 02:03 PM

I wouldnt mind a package deal for Burke which doesnt have to include a premier prospect. I have confidence in Draper's judgement to pick out unknown prospects (like JM Liles). I think a conditional pick is also only fair to both sides here - something like a 4th rising to a 2nd / 1st depending on playoff success (and please NOT on them resigning Burke like some recent deals (May / Teppo)).

If it doesnt work out with Burke the buyer only loses an unknown prospect and a 4th. They would likely let Burke walk and the Coyotes could resign him.

If it works out the buyer only gives up an unknown prospect and a very low 1st pick. If Burke won them the Cup that is a bargain, plus they would not be letting him walk.

PhoPhan 01-25-2004 02:37 PM

At this point, I no longer thing JM Liles is an unknown prospect.

Gwyddbwyll 01-25-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoPhan
At this point, I no longer thing JM Liles is an unknown prospect.

Sorry I should have said "like JM Liles was". I picked him out last summer as potential trade bait to offer Phoenix. Since Draper originally drafted him I figured he had something and could be packaged with a good conditional pick instead of the high-profile Ballard/Boychuk. I actually managed to reach agreement on that proposal with some Colorado fans at the time.

PhoPhan 01-25-2004 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevex
Sorry I should have said "like JM Liles was". I picked him out last summer as potential trade bait to offer Phoenix. Since Draper originally drafted him I figured he had something and could be packaged with a good conditional pick instead of the high-profile Ballard/Boychuk. I actually managed to reach agreement on that proposal with some Colorado fans at the time.

I see, my mistake.

The Viking 01-26-2004 08:55 PM

Option options
 
Does anyone know how Burke's option year is set up? Is it the club's option, Sean's option or maybe a mutual option?

PhoPhan 01-26-2004 09:27 PM

Mutual option, just like Numminen's was.

BrickRed 01-26-2004 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Mutual option, just like Numminen's was.

I don't quite remember Tempo's deal -- does this mean both must agree or any one can decide to excercise the option for another year?

PhoPhan 01-26-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrickRed
I don't quite remember Tempo's deal -- does this mean both must agree or any one can decide to excercise the option for another year?

Here is what happened with Teppo. The Coyotes did not want to be burdened with Teppo's salary, so they declined his option. However, knowing if he became a free agent he'd likely take a paycut to play again, Teppo exercised his option. The Coyotes then traded him to Dallas.

ParisSaintGermain 01-26-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Here is what happened with Teppo. The Coyotes did not want to be burdened with Teppo's salary, so they declined his option. However, knowing if he became a free agent he'd likely take a paycut to play again, Teppo exercised his option. The Coyotes then traded him to Dallas.

Thanks for the explanation. :handclap:

ulf 01-26-2004 10:27 PM

at this point in time putting this years surprising hopes on boosh back would be highly risky........he played exceptionally well and the team responded to play their best defensive hockey in years.

boosh needs to play at this level for the rest of the year to even consider moving burke.

saddling this franchise with the financial burden of these 2 netminders for next year is also unacceptable.

neither should be moved till the trade deadline or draft day....but one will have to go.imo


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.