HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Stop the bad penalties (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=467482)

AXN 01-19-2008 03:34 PM

Stop the bad penalties

They have to find a way to play a discipline game and stop this b.s.

Turambar 01-19-2008 03:37 PM

they need a coach who will motivate them to do so, which they don't currently have. Renney needs to go, he and Malik should run off together and get married.

Inferno 01-19-2008 03:41 PM

to be fair, the past 10-15 games, weve been really screwed with some bad reffing.

i think us taking bad penalties just gets compounded with us getting terrible calls against us.

Its like in baseball, when Bobby Abreu doesnt swing at a borderline pitch, the umps are more likely to call it a ball because Abreu has such great strike discipline.

If the Rangers were a disciplined team, perhaps they would start getting the borderline plays called their way instead.

HAPPY HOUR 01-19-2008 03:41 PM

Anaheim leads the league in penalty minutes, but the difference is (other then the majors) is the teams tenacity draws almost as many.

Teams like Calgary and Anaheim take mean, hard penalties..... or you can go the other route like Detroit, or Minnesota, who learn a discipline strategy from a coach who will sit your arse if you play stupid or take stupid, lazy penalties.

Tumsh 01-19-2008 03:51 PM

Reffing aside, when the rules are as subjective and blurry as they are right now, the best idea is to not give the refs the chance to call the penalty. I know a lot of these things run deep in a lot of players since before the lockout. For example the reaction to put your stick in the way if someone's about to get past you and so on. However, these things won't get out of your head unless there are some consequences. So, this comes back to Renney siting them a game or a few shifts or something if they take bad penalties. It's not about punushing people, but it will still serve as a reminder and an incentive not to take them.

Inferno 01-19-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumsh (Post 12108684)
Reffing aside, when the rules are as subjective and blurry as they are right now, the best idea is to not give the refs the chance to call the penalty. I know a lot of these things run deep in a lot of players since before the lockout. For example the reaction to put your stick in the way if someone's about to get past you and so on. However, these things won't get out of your head unless there are some consequences. So, this comes back to Renney siting them a game or a few shifts or something if they take bad penalties. It's not about punushing people, but it will still serve as a reminder and an incentive not to take them.

true, certainly some of these plays are avoidable, but when Jagr gets a stick into the midsection, and is pushed into the goalie, how that can be called goalie interference is beyond me.

JayMan82 01-19-2008 04:20 PM

3 words....

MOVE YOUR FEET!

The refs will more likely call a penalty when a player is not skating (being lazy) or being outskated (Malik)...

RMcDonagh 01-19-2008 04:28 PM

Need to stop the penalties but as Inferno said and as I've been saying for weeks now, the refs are just absolutely atrocious. There is a hell of a lot more of a chance that you'll get 2 bad refs then 2 good refs.

But this all leads back to Renney...

Chimp 01-19-2008 04:39 PM

Kind of hard to avoid the bad penalties when the names of the refs are, for example, #10 Paul Devorski and #40 Steve Kozari. Where did NHL find these guys, on the back of a cereal box?

"#X on New York Rangers, 2 minutes penalty for existing."

RMcDonagh 01-19-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimp (Post 12109155)
Kind of hard to avoid the bad penalties when the names of the refs are, for example, #10 Paul Devorski and #40 Steve Kozari. Where did NHL find these guys, on the back of a cereal box?

"#X on New York Rangers, 2 minutes penalty for existing."

Dude.. the guy with the Mustache too,

Bill Mcreary or something.

Absolutely horrible. Seriously, anybody could do a better job, and I mean just about anybody.

Chimp 01-19-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger (Post 12109174)
Dude.. the guy with the Mustache too,

Bill Mcreary or something.

Absolutely horrible. Seriously, anybody could do a better job, and I mean just about anybody.

Yes, I remember him, the guy who should have gotten 1st star of the game when some team I have repressed beat us, together with his buddy Koharski. Who could forget? On the ref all-star team, we also have - of course - Mick "Magoo" McGeough.

Compared to these guys, the jokes we had today are actually pretty average.

HenriksBetter 01-19-2008 07:20 PM

Lack of discipline has cost this team a fair share of games over the past month. The penalties may not have all led to a goal against but some have killed momentum that was largely in the Rangers favor or late in a game when down by a goal. It is definitely one of the problems that need to be corrected for this team to make a move up in the standings.