HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   PROPOSAL: Avalanche Backups (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46784)

DrHockeyMD 01-25-2004 01:56 PM

PROPOSAL: Avalanche Backups

Here's some [what I believe to be] feasible and adequate replacements for Sauve in the back-up role. I think it is important for the Avs to acquire a backup that has more NHL experience than Sauve has.

To Colorado: Jamie Storr
To Carolina: 8th round draft pick
-------
To Colorado: Ron Tugnutt
To Dallas: 7th round draft pick
-------
To Colorado: Brian Boucher, 5th round draft pick
To Phoenix: Karlis Skrastins, 2nd round draft pick

Ok... which do you think would make a more adequate backup come playoff time? And which trade(s) do you think would help the Avs more than hurt them?

Gwyddbwyll 01-25-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHockeyMD

Ok... which do you think would make a more adequate backup come playoff time? And which trade(s) do you think would help the Avs more than hurt them?

I dont think Phoenix are letting Boucher go after his re-emergence. Plus Colorado probably wouldnt like to deal a roster player to fill a back-up spot.

Tugnutt is probably the most stable backup to get but isnt he playing pretty badly these days ?

PhoPhan 01-25-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

I think the last few weeks have shown Boucher has more value than that. Besides, Burke might be better suited for the backup role in Denver.

Ajacied 01-25-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevex
Tugnutt is probably the most stable backup to get but isnt he playing pretty badly these days ?

Tugnutt and stable should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Tugnutt is playing so bad, that Marty Turco is on pace to play 78 games, he currently leads the league in games played with 49, Martin Brodeur is 2nd and has 43.

Kevin Forbes 01-25-2004 02:33 PM

Storr has been absotively porous for the Canes and isn't much of an improvement over Sauve (if any). He could be had cheap, as indicated, but isn't really even worth the bother of acquiring.
I'm don't think the Avs would like to deal Skrastins....

Ajacied 01-25-2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I think the last few weeks have shown Boucher has more value than that. Besides, Burke might be better suited for the backup role in Denver.

I'm not very positive if Boucher's value has really gone up. I mean the Yotes looked like a fool 'till just 2 weeks ago. Untill Boucher proves that he can be a consistant and capable top end starter for 2 straight seasons, he won't fetch a Handzus/Esche this time. The man has enjoyed 2 great stretches in his career, but because of his inconsistency and downright horrible game between the two periods, I doubt many teams would take a risk at him for today's price. For all you know, he could stink up the place and look like a fringe backup for yet another stint. Consistency is a huge factor when judging one goalie's worth..

Gwyddbwyll 01-25-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = God
Tugnutt and stable should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Tugnutt is playing so bad, that Marty Turco is on pace to play 78 games, he currently leads the league in games played with 49, Martin Brodeur is 2nd and has 43.

lol okay, he's a sponge, sounds like Storr is porous too so I guess the answer to Dr's question is Boucher.

neelynugs 01-25-2004 02:41 PM

two guys i think that are good fits are:
jamie mclennan and fred brathwaite. other possibilities could be steve shields and felix potvin (i'm not a fan of either, but they have playoff experience, and are relatively cheap...to acquire and to pay)

Gwyddbwyll 01-25-2004 02:42 PM

Quote:

I'm not very positive if Boucher's value has really gone up. I mean the Yotes looked like a fool 'till just 2 weeks ago. Untill Boucher proves that he can be a consistant and capable top end starter for 2 straight seasons, he won't fetch a Handzus/Esche this time. The man has enjoyed 2 great stretches in his career, but because of his inconsistency and downright horrible game between the two periods, I doubt many teams would take a risk at him for today's price. For all you know, he could stink up the place and look like a fringe backup for yet another stint. Consistency is a huge factor when judging one goalie's worth..

Gone up from what? Its gone up when you consider nobody took him for free. :)

TBLightning04 01-25-2004 07:48 PM

Storr and Tugnutt offer exactly zero upgrade of Sauve.

Ajacied 01-25-2004 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevex
Gone up from what? Its gone up when you consider nobody took him for free. :)

Good point, hell I forgot he passed waivers..

DrHockeyMD 01-25-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLightning04
Storr and Tugnutt offer exactly zero upgrade of Sauve.

I wouldn't go that far. Tugnutt was just in a slump and Storr plays on an incredibly bad team. I think if Storr has some confidence he would be able to play a lot stronger than he has in the past.

t0mf00lery 01-25-2004 08:24 PM

Tommy Salo for Phil Sauve.

Jovavic 01-25-2004 08:48 PM

Brathwaite for a 9th round pick. Don't be fooled by the numbers, the defense on the Jackets sucks and Freddy doesn't get much help on most nights.

tiredman 01-25-2004 08:57 PM

Colorado : Irbe and his 1/2 salary
Carolina : Future consideration and 1/2 Irbe's salary

hbk 01-25-2004 09:00 PM

Quote:

Boucher's value has gone up.

In fact, there is probably not a chance that Phoenix can and would consider dealing the netminder now. Can you imagine the outcry by Phoenix fans and the criticisim that franchise would take for making such a deal? Sets a huge record, stealing points (3 against the RedWIngs in the past week alone), and is leading the league in Save Percentage and the reward is a trade? It's not going to happen.

Benji Frank 01-25-2004 09:12 PM

Sauve's won his last 5 or 6 starts .... not many other goalies that are available can step in every 4th or 5th game and do the same thing...... if he could stop letting in the softee early, he should give Colorado just as much of a chance as the rest of the stiffs mentioned in this thread.....

Mack 01-25-2004 09:13 PM

the phoenix one would never happen since Skrastins has been one of the best Dmen on the team. and has made us Avs fans forget about DeVo quite quickly.

I would hate to have Storr on the Avs id rather go with Sauve.

If we could get Tugger from Big D for a 7th id do that.

DRL 01-25-2004 09:38 PM

i think many are confusing "vet backup" which the avs dont want with experienced backup which they do want.

just because a goalie is old and suited for a backup role doesnt mean the avs would be interested,

with the exception of boucher in the orginal thread(which will never happen for skrastins, he is or #2 shutdown dman) if those 2 were our injury replacement for aebi the playoffs would be a lost cause anyway.

can u see storr or tugnutt at this point in his career winning a playoff series? NO

possible backups who are rumored to be available that can win a series if aebi struggles or gets injured:

sean burke
manny fernadez
one of the 3 thrashers goalies
martin prusek
martin biron
tommy salo

a thread concerning potential avs backups should start with any of those goalies, perferably a goalie who will be around for a year or two no more with sauve and budaj developing for the near future.

of those goalies listed salo and biron make the least sense due to their salaries and age, would the sens actually let prusek go, most likely not.

Tiki 01-25-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABS456
Colorado : Irbe and his 1/2 salary
Carolina : Future consideration and 1/2 Irbe's salary

Thats a good one IMO. CArolina would be happy to be rid of Irbe's contract for a very low pick. The Avs would only have to keep him for a year or two?

Not a bad vet backup deal at all.

tiki

Steve L* 01-25-2004 11:21 PM

Hackett? Oh wait, I doubt he'd like it in the mile high city. :D

t0mf00lery 01-26-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRL
i think many are confusing "vet backup" which the avs dont want with experienced backup which they do want.

just because a goalie is old and suited for a backup role doesnt mean the avs would be interested,

with the exception of boucher in the orginal thread(which will never happen for skrastins, he is or #2 shutdown dman) if those 2 were our injury replacement for aebi the playoffs would be a lost cause anyway.

can u see storr or tugnutt at this point in his career winning a playoff series? NO

possible backups who are rumored to be available that can win a series if aebi struggles or gets injured:

sean burke
manny fernadez
one of the 3 thrashers goalies
martin prusek
martin biron
tommy salo

a thread concerning potential avs backups should start with any of those goalies, perferably a goalie who will be around for a year or two no more with sauve and budaj developing for the near future.

of those goalies listed salo and biron make the least sense due to their salaries and age, would the sens actually let prusek go, most likely not.

I'll repeat my offer, Tommy Salo for Phil Sauve.

DRL 01-26-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilerrick
I'll repeat my offer, Tommy Salo for Phil Sauve.

could u see salo being happy as a backup?

better yet, lacroix paying over 3M for a backup?

value wise i'd do that trade but overall it doesnt make sense.

Enoch 01-26-2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji Frank
Sauve's won his last 5 or 6 starts .... not many other goalies that are available can step in every 4th or 5th game and do the same thing...... if he could stop letting in the softee early, he should give Colorado just as much of a chance as the rest of the stiffs mentioned in this thread.....

In the last 3 of those games, he gave up 5 goals, 5 goals, and 3 goals. He still got the victories. Misleading statistic. A backup could be very possible come deadline time.

Still, Suave isn't that bad. He is just a rookie goaltender, and he doesn't get to play enough to get in a groove. The talent is there......he just needs to polish his game up a bit (rebound control and less nervous movements). Avalanche management most likely knows this, and will probably hang on to him. You can't expect a rookie goaltender to come in and be perfect. The NHL game takes some time to adjust too.

Gumballhead 01-26-2004 08:53 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't go that far. Tugnutt was just in a slump and Storr plays on an incredibly bad team.

A slump that's lasted over a year, on a 36 year old goalie? It might just be glue factory time for him.

Salo is an interesting name, but he scares me a lot. Burke would be ideal, but who knows what Phoenix will end up doing. I hear he wants a two-year deal if he goes somewhere, and the Avs probably won't want to do that.

And no way the Avs trade Skrastins, period.