HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   mtl/car proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46929)

phil76 01-26-2004 10:47 AM

mtl/car proposal

to mtl:jeff oneill,4rd round pick

to car:hossa,hainsey,rivet

#44_delivers 01-26-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil76

oh god no please

killrhab 01-26-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

how about oneil,vasicek,and erik cole for perrault :dunno:

Darz 01-26-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

Truthfully, I don't think that would be far off what it would take to get O'Neill from Carolina.

In all honesty, if I was the GM for the habs and that offer hit my desk, I would be awfully tempted to pull the trigger.

Safir* 01-26-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Would trade Higgins or Kastsitsyn straight up for O'Neill?

Tough decision for Carolina as well.

All-Star 01-26-2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

Been There... Done That :shakehead

HCH 01-26-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

That isn't even close! You create a hole on defense (I imagine Komisarek is being counted on to replace Quintal next year) and give up a guy who could possibly fill that hole (Hainsey has been playing some RD in Hamilton). You also add a player where we have the most depth in the system (RW) and he is clearly out of favour where he is.

If they want to get rid of him that badly why would we over-pay.

The 4th round draft choice really amounts to nothing. If you look at the history of 4th round choices over the years, very few every make it to the NHL.

GhostOfTheForum 01-26-2004 02:26 PM

well

forget Old Neil

get Cole

HughJass* 01-26-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
If they want to get rid of him that badly why would we over-pay.

Rutherford is not trying to "get rid" of O'Neill, but if anyone wants to overpay he's willing to pull the trigger. He finally said in the Sunday paper that he's "waited too long" to make changes to rebuild. So, you can expect Wesley, Hill, Boughner, Ward, Brind a'Mour (if he waves his no-trade clause), Svoboda, and possibly more to be gone. I seriously doubt Rutherford will move O'Neill if he doesn't get a sweet ass deal before the trade deadline. So all of these rumors from places like Leaf's Lunch saying O will be moved soon is waaaay off base. He'll be moved around the trade deadline or not be moved at all, I think. Rutherford has the upper hand because he really don't have to "get rid" of him.

Guy Caballero 01-26-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

That is overpaying. O'Neill is unrestricted at the end of the season. If we wait until the deadline and Carilona's out we can get him cheaper.

Remember, we traded Recchi for Zubrus under similar circumstances, and Recchi was way better than O'neill is today. We traded Damphousse for a second-rounder, and even he was arguably better. They're talking up O'Neill's value a lot, but wait and see...when he goes, we're all going to be saying, "That's all they got?" just like we did with Jagr.

Darz 01-26-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
That is overpaying. O'Neill is unrestricted at the end of the season. If we wait until the deadline and Carilona's out we can get him cheaper.

How is O'Neill unrestrited???????? He is a RFA at year's end, NOT a UFA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
We traded Damphousse for a second-rounder

We traded Damphousse for a 1st rounder AND a conditional second rounder. Hossa was picked with the first rounder we received for Damphousse.

goalchenyuk 01-26-2004 03:12 PM

O’Neill price too high
TheFourthPeriod.com

According to the Ottawa Sun, Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford wants to deal winger Jeff O’Neill, but the asking price is high.

Rutherford wants a top young player who can help immediately and a prospect in return for the 27-year-old.

St. Louis, Anaheim and Toronto have all shown interest, reports the Sun. The Canes have asked for prospect Corey Perry from Anaheim.

and also from spector ;

"It was said l(Saturday night) on a post game show following the Habs/Leafs game on TEAM 990 that Bob Gainey seems to have interest in O'Neil...he is definititely looking to add a player in the O'Neil mold...a power forward type something the Habs really don't have...they are lacking grit and still need to add some scoring...Pierre Mcguire on the team 990 agreed that Gainey will be looking to add a more gritty type player and that O'Neil could fit the bill...however, Mcguire prefers Eric Cole over O'Neil...Gainey has also admited in a recent interview that he is in the market for another center...everyone mentions Arnott...a player Gainey likes and acquired while in Dallas...all this talk about adding bigger,grittier more physical players
has heated up after getting manhandled by bigger Devil and Leaf players over
the weekend...Gainey has a good crop of prospects and young players to offer...

Spector's Note: For the record, Gainey never traded for Arnott. He stepped down as the Stars GM two months before the team obtained Jason Arnott from the Devils. That move was made by Doug Armstrong.

i"ve also read that the Canes want a defense player ( + a good prospect )

so it will be more something like Markov or Brisebois +Perezhogin or Balej , kind of trade .

Guy Caballero 01-26-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
How is O'Neill unrestrited???????? He is a RFA at year's end, NOT a UFA.

We traded Damphousse for a 1st rounder AND a conditional second rounder. Hossa was picked with the first rounder we received for Damphousse.

You're right about Damphousse. I forgot that there were two pix involved. Either way, it wasn't much. About O'Neill being unrestricted, I may have been misinformed about that, but I've heard from a number of sources that he's an UFA at season's end. It would be good if someone could clarify this one way or another.

nikrag03* 01-26-2004 11:07 PM

Quote:

never...