HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why Would we have to pay such a high price?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46946)

Habs4ever 01-26-2004 01:27 PM

Why Would we have to pay such a high price??

if BG is the next saviour of the habs he should do lot more better then Sather, Rangers got Jagr for Carter, so why would BG considered to be mastermind giveup top prospects or bargain team to get short term players. If BG is what many fans are making him out to be the master mind we should land very good return that has unbelievable effect on team, consider this guys he pickedup Via Waiver wire guys like Langdon, and Begin that have already been given important roles and Dagenais free agent singees has become second liner out of no where, now why would BG giveup any high price you guys are leaning toward when the guys considered to be coming here are clearly slumping this year, its much easier to get Underachiever, Ya we want to get bigger and better player but we also have some Trade baits to go with guys like Perrault, Rivet could easily be shipped out if right offer comes along and I'm sure he won't hesitate to trade high picks as long as we can get long term solution, from my perspective only young high end talent cost big retrurn once you start looking at over 28 years old players they are much easier to get mostly because their contracts would expire sooner then later.

Darz 01-26-2004 01:38 PM

I think when BG said he expected the team as is to make the playoffs and that he wasn't look at more than a 'future consideration' type trade, I think he might of really meant it. In some ways you should never take a GM at his word, but sometimes BG strikes me as a different type of GM. One that doesn't say something just to say something. A man whose every word spoken is well thought out and planned well in advance.
All those looking for big trades in habland, maybe waiting a long time.

Corey 01-26-2004 02:36 PM

The present cast doesn't seem to be able to do more than compete for one of the last three playoff positions. I don't think the addition of Jagr could have changed that. It doesn't take a prophet to predict that next season's team (whenever that is) will have several new faces. Right now, even Gainey doesn't know who they'll be.

Marksman 01-26-2004 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4ever
if BG is the next saviour of the habs he should do lot more better then Sather, Rangers got Jagr for Carter, so why would BG considered to be mastermind giveup top prospects or bargain team to get short term players. If BG is what many fans are making him out to be the master mind we should land very good return that has unbelievable effect on team, consider this guys he pickedup Via Waiver wire guys like Langdon, and Begin that have already been given important roles and Dagenais free agent singees has become second liner out of no where, now why would BG giveup any high price you guys are leaning toward when the guys considered to be coming here are clearly slumping this year, its much easier to get Underachiever, Ya we want to get bigger and better player but we also have some Trade baits to go with guys like Perrault, Rivet could easily be shipped out if right offer comes along and I'm sure he won't hesitate to trade high picks as long as we can get long term solution, from my perspective only young high end talent cost big retrurn once you start looking at over 28 years old players they are much easier to get mostly because their contracts would expire sooner then later.

Jagr/Carter deal was all about economics, it had anything to do with actual player value. I'm sure Bob and 28 other GMs around the league would have loved to make such a deal, but only Rangers could carry that kind of salary.

Isnt Rivet both middle end talents and over 28 year old? He has couple years left on his contract, making him even less valuable - so if you want to get some truly worthwhile back those throw ins would become costly. Personally I dont think Rivet is going anywhere if we want to have right shot dman for all pairings - considering Quintal is done soon and theres only Komi available.

Perreault might be more attractive, but you need to find right taker for him. There are few playoffs line teams out West who could use some secondary scoring. Isnt that why he was acquired by Habs? Kings and Flames have injuries, Oates hasnt worked all that well for Oilers, Ducks are just starving for scoring....

Souffle 01-26-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
I think when BG said he expected the team as is to make the playoffs and that he wasn't look at more than a 'future consideration' type trade, I think he might of really meant it. In some ways you should never take a GM at his word, but sometimes BG strikes me as a different type of GM. One that doesn't say something just to say something. A man whose every word spoken is well thought out and planned well in advance.

Gainey will make the team better if he can. If it means a blockbuster, he will do it. His now-famous comments probably reflect his belief that the best way to improve this year will be in the form of a minor trade.

But this just translates into a cost-benefit analysis. He's going to balance the team's immediate needs against long-term success and stability. His comment, I think, simply meant that he doubts whether he could address the team's immediate needs without sacrificing some of the team's long-term success and stability.

But if a RH center with Grit and Size or Experience becomes available, Gainey will certainly look into it. If O'Neill or Arnott or Walz or whoever becomes available at the right price, Gainey will not hestitate to swing the deal.

While it may be silly to expect a blockbuster this year, I think it would be equally silly to expect Gainey to idle by and not address any of the team's needs -- playoff experience, scoring power forward, RH center, size and toughness...

Darz 01-26-2004 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
But this just translates into a cost-benefit analysis. He's going to balance the team's immediate needs against long-term success and stability. His comment, I think, simply meant that he doubts whether he could address the team's immediate needs without sacrificing some of the team's long-term success and stability.

Exactly!
I'm sure Gainey has made many inquires about different players, some big names, some lesser names, and has concluded that the best route to take is to keep his cards.

I'm sure if things change or a deal comes across his desk he feels is a 'can't pass up' type, I'm sure regardless of the size of the trade he will pull it.

Just don't figure anybody should be expecting that to happen is all.

goalchenyuk 01-26-2004 07:29 PM

Quote:

Darz i put in red what you said that is the key about the move that Gainey wants to do...you really have the right point...

jacklours 01-26-2004 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
Gainey will make the team better if he can. If it means a blockbuster, he will do it. His now-famous comments probably reflect his belief that the best way to improve this year will be in the form of a minor trade.

But if a RH center with Grit and Size or Experience becomes available, Gainey will certainly look into it. If O'Neill or Arnott or Walz or whoever becomes available at the right price, Gainey will not hestitate to swing the deal.

While it may be silly to expect a blockbuster this year, I think it would be equally silly to expect Gainey to idle by and not address any of the team's needs -- playoff experience, scoring power forward, RH center, size and toughness...

Well, hopefully we'll make the playoff this year, so I guess some playoff exp. will be acquired.

Souffle 01-26-2004 09:26 PM

Quote:

Exactly!
I'm sure Gainey has made many inquires about different players, some big names, some lesser names, and has concluded that the best route to take is to keep his cards.

I'm sure if things change or a deal comes across his desk he feels is a 'can't pass up' type, I'm sure regardless of the size of the trade he will pull it.

Just don't figure anybody should be expecting that to happen is all.

You're absolutely right about not expecting a blockbuster. The team has played well, and the prospect pipeline is pumping. But on the other hand, I would be very surprised if Gainey did not go out and get a player who brings either playoff experience, a RH shot at center, some additional scoring, some size and toughness, or whatever else.

It's easy to get a little too happy about prospects while forgetting that it's about winning and improving as soon as prudently possible. After being such a lousy team for so long, we can't take the playoffs for granted. Any time you can make the playoffs, you have to ice the best possible team and maximize an oppurtunity that's only available to about half of the league in any one year, an oppurtunity that's been available to the Habs only once in the past five or whatever number of years.

This is why it is unlikely that Gainey will stand by and not add (or subtract) anyone before the deadline. There are a lot of players between marginal "future considerations" types and the more heralded Arnotts and O'Neills. It's these in-between types that I would expect Gainey to target, even if it meant parting with a so-so prospect or draft pick. Maybe he'll settle for a fringe "future considerations" type, but I can't believe that he wouldn't at least aim higher.