HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Slats' Time Almost Up? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=46952)

KING 01-26-2004 01:44 PM

Slats' Time Almost Up?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...gers-headlines

Davisian 01-26-2004 01:47 PM

Hate to nitpick Arty, especially when I agree with most of your points, but it would be more effective if your facts were straight..

Pisa came TO the Rangers with Carter. And was subsequently let go..

Melrose_Jr. 01-26-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Hate to nitpick Arty, especially when I agree with most of your points, but it would be more effective if your facts were straight..

Pisa came TO the Rangers with Carter. And was subsequently let go..

Dvorak was also the forward that was traded, not York.

Quote:

Markkanen has been ineffective most of the time
HIGHLY debabteable. How about thoose road numbers "Arty"? :shakehead

Fletch 01-26-2004 02:14 PM

Lets define Jussi's ineffectiveness...

He's 7-6-1... a winning record on a team that's (four games under .500? including OT losses?). That's not too bad. Also, he's been a friggin' backup - what's expect from a backup on a bad defensive team? Finally, the recent drubbing wasn't a great outing for Jussi, although he was given little chance out there and was starting for the first time in how long? Thought that given the guy in goal there would've been some sort of effort out there by the rest of the team.

Theoren Fan 01-26-2004 02:20 PM

I'm just glad to see so much press and media discussion about removing Glen Sather. We've always complained about him here, but I don't think it's ever been nearly as publicized out in the public as it is now. Between ESPN, the NY papers and the MSG crowd, there's NO WAY Jim Dolan can't notice what's going on here. Is Sather's going to get canned, we're probably closer to it now then we've ever been before.

Speaking about Dolan, from the poster that brought you such critically acclaimed threads as "the doghouse", I'd like to now present for everybody's reading entertainment...Reality Check.

Reality Check- I know everybody here rains on him too and would like to see him removed, but let's get back down to earth for a moment. Dolan's the top gun, the owner of the whole thing. For Jim to be removed, it would take a process and situation so extraordinary it's basically fictional. Like it or not, and I'm not saying I do, but either way he's not going anywhere until he decides otherwise.

His removal/firing just simply isn't a possibility

This has been Reality Check with TF.

Davisian 01-26-2004 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theo Fan
For Jim to be removed, it would take a process and situation so extraordinary it's basically fictional.

That's the most likely reality, but I'm still holding out hope that aneirin has taken his sabbatical from HF, in order to organize a hostile takeover of Dolanvision.. As wih any public company, no officer is safe when the product is failing..

Hopefully, stockholders are putting the screws to the Dolan family, and a "step down" of lil jimmy is being discussed..

TXNYR 01-26-2004 02:28 PM

Davisian,

I have never posted simply to compliment another on their avatar but you are the exception.

It is great!

Davisian 01-26-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXNYR
Davisian,

I have never posted simply to compliment another on their avatar but you are the exception.

It is great!

Thanks..

Although it's an old saying, Sherry Ross's mention of jagr as "more lipstick on the pig" seemed so apt, I had to make the change..

True Blue 01-26-2004 02:45 PM

"Accountability: It's a favorite word of Sather's, one he wielded when he arrived as president and GM in the summer of 2000 and again when he began this season as coach. If you don't follow the rules, you're held accountable.

That morphed into: If you don't follow the rules, you're accountable to your teammates. "That's who you play for," Sather said recently."

Like I said, is anyone else getting good and tired of hearing how players are accountable only to each other? Is this the excuse for the ACCOUNTABILITY aspect that was promised, sworn to, and then not exercised? That, above all others, is the most galling thing to me about the Sather years. Horrible trades, completely idiot-level coaching, but the promise of accountability has disappeared completely. Is that because Sather just can't bench one of his high-priced acquisitions in favor of those who are not as priced and try harder?

Edge 01-26-2004 05:50 PM

Sather normally would have to the end of the year, but that ottawa loss and anything that resembles that is gonna roll some heads.

sickboy35 01-26-2004 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Sather normally would have to the end of the year, but that ottawa loss and anything that resembles that is gonna roll some heads.

then one could hope they get blown out tonight and end all of our misery!

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-26-2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickboy35
then one could hope they get blown out tonight and end all of our misery!

Honestly, I don't think he is that much on the hot seat. Even if the Rangers get blown out tonight (and I don't think they will), there are plenty of fall guys around Sather who could go first (scouts, Renney, Maloney, Green).

What is impossible to figure out is how Sather has not acquired another defenseman yet. Are the Rangers really going to put out Purinton, Pushor, and Bouchard again?

If I were Markkanen and LaBarbera, I would flip a coin to see who starts. The loser plays!

Edge 01-26-2004 07:11 PM

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

It's not gonna happen with one or two more losses, but if this team can't get anything going and performs as badly as they did in ottawa, ESPECIALLY after Dolan approved the money he did for the jagr deal.

sickboy35 01-26-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Honestly, I don't think he is that much on the hot seat. Even if the Rangers get blown out tonight (and I don't think they will), there are plenty of fall guys around Sather who could go first (scouts, Renney, Maloney, Green).

What is impossible to figure out is how Sather has not acquired another defenseman yet. Are the Rangers really going to put out Purinton, Pushor, and Bouchard again?

If I were Markkanen and LaBarbera, I would flip a coin to see who starts. The loser plays!

thats why i really didn't understand his thinking in getting jagr? "hey were down three d-men?" "lets get another right winger?" i will say you have to make the trade just in talent, but to not address the glaring problem of defense is just idiotic? which about sums up his whole tenuer as gm and coach! i hope lil'jimmy hears everyone tonight! loud and clear! this has to stop!

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-26-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
I wouldn't be too sure about that.

It's not gonna happen with one or two more losses, but if this team can't get anything going and performs as badly as they did in ottawa, ESPECIALLY after Dolan approved the money he did for the jagr deal.

Maybe.

I think that allowing him spend the money in the first place is something of a vote of confidence. Of course, he probably bought into Sather telling how good a deal it was (and if this was not the Rangers it would be a great deal) and that the team is only two points out of the playoffs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 01-26-2004 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickboy35
thats why i really didn't understand his thinking in getting jagr? "hey were down three d-men?" "lets get another right winger?" i will say you have to make the trade just in talent, but to not address the glaring problem of defense is just idiotic? which about sums up his whole tenuer as gm and coach! i hope lil'jimmy hears everyone tonight! loud and clear! this has to stop!

Well the Jagr trade does not solve the defense but the trade itself certainly does not preclude Sather from getting a defenseman. Would Carter have brought back a defenseman the calibre of Jagr? I know that that is not a completely accurate way of looking at it.

Melrose_Jr. 01-26-2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Would Carter have brought back a defenseman the calibre of Jagr?

Obviously not, but Carter was about the closest thing we had to a tradeable commodity.

Fletch 01-26-2004 08:52 PM

That's right, MJ...

Carter was a tradeable commodity who was also not needed in the Rangers organization. Could he, and say and third or fourth, brought back a defensive defenseman with top four capability? If you added Poti, could you have gotten that guy, plus another body (a third or fourth liner, or a pick, a prospect, whatever).

'Stealing' Jagr's tempting, but it needs to fit into an overall plan. Had Slats signed Kovalev to a contract of Jags' length, it would make sense to move Kovalev, and pay part of his salary, using some of that $4 million per for Jags to go for Kovalev, reducing overall savings, but still saving and making some sense of things.

BTW...is AK27 UFA at the end of the season, thus giving him zero trading value, and after the CBA being signed, he may be off to a winner?

Theoren Fan 01-26-2004 09:18 PM

I guess I'm one of the few, or only for that matter, that considered the Jagr trade as filling a need.

Obviously it wasn't the biggest need, as in the trade rumor board I listed a goaltender and a defenseman as bigger priorities, but to say Jagr fills no needs here at all I think is abit shortsighted