HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What Hand Should My Goalie Stick Be In? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=470375)

The Goaltending Guru 01-26-2008 03:00 PM

What Hand Should My Goalie Stick Be In?

I apologize if this is not the proper place for this question, but I am about to start a roller hockey season as a goaltender and I am wondering what hand I should have the goalie stick in and what hand I should have the glove on.

If it makes a difference, I am right-handed and typically right-hand dominant. So, in baseball, I wear a baseball glove on my left hand, catch with my left hand and throw with my right hand (Well, arm)

ThaDevilGirl 01-26-2008 03:02 PM

The stick should be in your right hand so you can catch with your left hand.

And The Rink is the right section if you have other questions like this one!

DayQuil* 01-26-2008 03:04 PM

I have always been in the same situation, i guess it depends how much you want stick handling to be a part of your game, if you put the glove in your right hand, it wont make much of a difference, the reason in baseball is so you can throw the ball back with your right hand, but in hockey i like it better on the right, and my stick handling is much better.

Get a right handed glove.

dhasek3910 01-26-2008 03:05 PM

Try out both and see which feels more comfortable blocking away shots with your blocker, catching the ball in either hand with the glove, and stickhandling/pokechecking, etc.

hiptanaka 01-26-2008 03:06 PM

depends on how you hold the hockey stick. if you hold the hockey stick right-handed, the stick should be in your left. if you hold the hockey stick left-handed, the stick should be in your right. but then again, it all comes down to convenience.

dubey 01-26-2008 03:11 PM

I'd put my catcher on whatever hand you naturally catch with. Obviously your blocker would go on the other hand, which holds the stick. You could always switch hands when you shoot, some goalies do this.

supaman 01-26-2008 03:16 PM

I'd say glove left hand and stick right hand. I play goal and am right-handed myself. But it all comes down to personal preference. Try holding the stick in the right hand. Then try with the left hand. See what feels better.

Randall Ritchey 01-26-2008 03:19 PM

i had the same problem. im left handed but i always caught better left handed, but with me left hand being the stronger hand, i catch right handed and hold my stick in my left hand. since stick handling as a goalie can be difficult, you need a strong wrist to have decent accuracy with passing, since my left hand is stronger, i use my left to hold the stick.

McKeens 01-26-2008 03:24 PM

keep the catching glove on the hand that you catch with in baseball.

GoGionta 01-26-2008 03:25 PM

some goalie has to change their stick of position/hand to be able to play the puck, which is pretty inconvenient

kytem2 01-26-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiptanaka (Post 12215261)
depends on how you hold the hockey stick. if you hold the hockey stick right-handed, the stick should be in your left. if you hold the hockey stick left-handed, the stick should be in your right.

Take it from a former goalie (me), this is the correct answer.

dubey 01-26-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytem2 (Post 12216086)
Take it from a former goalie (me), this is the correct answer.

And if you naturally catch with that hand? No, you're not right at all.

Le Golie 01-26-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McKeens (Post 12215452)
keep the catching glove on the hand that you catch with in baseball.

No way. My right hand is quicker than my left, but I also throw way better with my right. So in baseball I catch with my left hand but in hockey I catch with my right.

As some others have said, decide which hand you catch with first and put the stick in the other hand. If you can catch equally with both, use your shooting stance to decide - ei, if you shoot left, catch with your left.

It should be noted that 90-95% of goalies catch with their left hand, so it'll be much easier to find gloves and sticks if you are a lefty. Sucks for us righties.

Harv 01-26-2008 04:53 PM

If you catch with your left hand in baseball, you catch with your left hand with a goal glove.

Sorry, but you're going to have to learn to shoot left handed. When I first started to I couldn't even figure out how to move the puck left handed. But 10 years later, I can shoot left and right handed equally. But I'll always perfer to shoot right.

DevsFan84 01-26-2008 09:43 PM

It's just personal preference. I'm right handed, played baseball for over a decade (with glove in left hand) but I'm a full right goalie (glove in right hand, blocker in left) I'm more comfortable this way because of how I shoot as a player.

Try to get your hands on some equipment and try it out. If worse comes to worse and you can't get your hands on full right equipment, get a lefty baseball glove and use a player glove on your left hand, and let someone shoot a tennis ball or something at you. Get a feel for what you're most comfortable with.

With full right equipment, my stickhandling is better but my glove hand suffers a bit (might be years of baseball, who knows) if I switch, the opposite would be true. I play the puck a lot, i'm aggressive, pokecheck, etc so it works out for me- you might be the opposite. You really just have to try out both if you're not sure, especially before you blow a ton of cash on the equipment.