HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mackenzie says Flyers very interested in Burke. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47053)

FearTheFlyers 01-26-2004 07:42 PM

Mackenzie says Flyers very interested in Burke.

Anybody's guess as to why...:dunno:

swflyers8* 01-26-2004 08:02 PM

I think I read the Burke is willing to take a paycut to whatever team he goes to.

From Spector's:

Quote:

Goaltender Sean Burke will seek a two-year extension from any team that trades for him.
Spector's Note: If he's willing to take a cut in pay I'm sure he'll find no problem getting that extension.

He knows Clarke and Esche is a very good friend of his. He might be ok with coming in and playing behind Robert, helping him out if he gets into to trouble. However, if he is coming in to be "#1", that would kill Robert's confidence. In reality, I don't see Clarke trading to get Burke as #1, he would get him as a backup. It would be someone that Robert would be comfortable with. It may work, who knows? :dunno:

Arastiroth 01-26-2004 08:06 PM

My guess would be that because he is a vet who could mentor Esche while playing the backup role, while also being good enough to take over incase Esche gets injured. Burke should come cheaper now that Boucher is playing well for a while, and although he isn't playoff proven, how many quality playoff proven goaltenders are there that are cheap and could play as a backup? Not really any that I can think of. Khabibulin would be expensive, and wouldn't be a backup for sure. Detroit now seems too unsure to trade anyone, and I doubt they would trade Legace as he fits into their long term plans much more then Cujo or Hasek. Then one of Buffalo's goalies (likely Biron) wouldn't really work either as they are young, unproven, etc.

Burke is the only person that can play the backup role who may come cheap and has experience plus talent. I don't see a lot of other options off the top of my head.

Rex88 01-26-2004 08:27 PM

I just want to go on record saying that I would NOT aquire another goaltender at this point.
This is Esche's job now and Hackjobs vertigo will go away unless he is a medical mystery - in my practice I have not seen a case last more than 6 weeks unless there is some underlying disease - concussion, tumor, etc. It can return but not frequently.
There will be opportunity to get backups cheaper as UFA or offseason trades.

Steve L* 01-26-2004 08:53 PM

If Clarke is going to get a goalie, he should either get a proven playoff goalie or a youger goalie who he thinks will be a #1. Not an older proven playoff failure, its a recipe for disaster.

FlyersGuy69 01-26-2004 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
I just want to go on record saying that I would NOT aquire another goaltender at this point.

I agree.
I don't want any part of Burke, ESPECIALLY if he is coming in to be the back-up.

Esche has done a great job so far, so they should give him the starting job and let him run with it.

GKJ 01-26-2004 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
This is Esche's job now and Hackjobs vertigo will go away unless he is a medical mystery - in my practice I have not seen a case last more than 6 weeks unless there is some underlying disease - concussion, tumor, etc. It can return but not frequently.

You haven't heard of Adam Deadmarsh then.

Toonces 01-26-2004 09:05 PM

I'm suprised that people don't bring up Burke's playoff record more often. Burke has not won a playoff series since 1987-1988

stanley 01-26-2004 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson

I thought Deadmarsh has been out with some sort of post-concussion syndrome.

GKJ 01-26-2004 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
I thought Deadmarsh has been out with some sort of post-concussion syndrome.

He has, but he first had vertigo, and then he got accidentaly hit in practice (which I don't know how that happened but it did) and it progressed into PCS

GKJ 01-26-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
I'm suprised that people don't bring up Burke's playoff record more often. Burke has not won a playoff series since 1987-1988

lets not forget he's been here once already.

Rex88 01-26-2004 10:40 PM

Quote:

I have heard of him and vertigo was a symptom of his post concussion syndrome. Benign Positional Vertigo is a self limited disease period. I am an MD and see this all the freakin time. VERY rarely is there anything prolonged unless there is something else going on - I promise. That is not to say something else (concussion or Menierre's disease) is going on and we would not likely be told until we get another goaltender anyway.

Steve L* 01-26-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

He has, but he first had vertigo, and then he got accidentaly hit in practice (which I don't know how that happened but it did) and it progressed into PCS

Have you got a link for this? Everything I have read said the concussion tests came up neagtive.

stanley 01-26-2004 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve L
Have you got a link for this? Everything I have read said the concussion tests came up neagtive.

Steve, I think he was referring to Deadmarsh, not Hackett. Are you referring to Hackett?

I'm confused.

Steve L* 01-27-2004 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanley
Steve, I think he was referring to Deadmarsh, not Hackett. Are you referring to Hackett?

I'm confused.

I was too but I was talking about Hackett so that clears that up.

Blindside9711 01-27-2004 03:10 PM

Why are people so negative on getting a back-up? Especially if it's a Burke or Fernandez type guy... If Esche gets hurt again and we're left with Hack-job... well I don't need to remind anybody of Hackett's recent performance. I don't care if we have to pay Hack-job as well as the new guy, we NEED a quality backup who is capable of stepping in if necessary. Period. I do NOT trust Hackett with the #1 OR the #2 job for that matter. I wouldn't trust him to exhale after he inhaled at this point, he's worthless.

Dr Love 01-27-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Why are people so negative on getting a back-up? Especially if it's a Burke or Fernandez type guy... If Esche gets hurt again and we're left with Hack-job... well I don't need to remind anybody of Hackett's recent performance. I don't care if we have to pay Hack-job as well as the new guy, we NEED a quality backup who is capable of stepping in if necessary. Period. I do NOT trust Hackett with the #1 OR the #2 job for that matter. I wouldn't trust him to exhale after he inhaled at this point, he's worthless.

We're not negative about getting a backup. We're negative about getting a starter like Burke and then making him a backup. There will be speculation until the Flyers are eliminated from the playoffs, and then "if only they..." for months the next season. The perception is that every year the Flyers have a goalie problem. But that's not the case. Getting an established starter like Burke and putting him in a backup role will only throw gallons of gasoline on to that fire.

Brad* 01-27-2004 05:59 PM

We've already tried the Burke experiment here in Philly, and it failed miserably. Why do we want seconds?

DanKordicsFist 01-27-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
We've already tried the Burke experiment here in Philly, and it failed miserably. Why do we want seconds?

I keep seeing posts alluding to this. What exactly failed? Burke or the Flyers?

They picked him up late in the year after the Stanley Cup finals choking, right? Didn't resign him and he's done well in Phoenix. Did he play somewhere else before Phoenix?

Just doesn't seem like he got much of a chance in Philly and yet I keep seeing "We already had him once" and "That experiment failed" or some other statement saying he didn't work out here.

I'm not advocating a trade for him, I just would like this point clarified in case I missed something.

Dr Love 01-27-2004 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist

Burke. The Flyers lost 3 games by a score of 3-2. The rest were 6-1 and 4-1. The Flyers didn't do a great job of scoring, but Burke did a worse job of stopping the Sabres. Statistically, he was the worst goalie in the playoffs that year, and had a save percentage something like .880

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKF
They picked him up late in the year after the Stanley Cup finals choking, right? Didn't resign him and he's done well in Phoenix. Did he play somewhere else before Phoenix?

Yup, they picked him up late in the season (IIRC, Clarke said he wasn't trading for a goalie, then traded for Burke the next day), the Flyers were his third team that season. The Flyers didn't resign him and he signed with Florida, and was dealt in the middle of his second season in Miami. 3 teams in 1 year. 4 in 2 years. 5 in 3 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKF
Just doesn't seem like he got much of a chance in Philly and yet I keep seeing "We already had him once" and "That experiment failed" or some other statement saying he didn't work out here.

I'm not advocating a trade for him, I just would like this point clarified in case I missed something.

He stunk, plain and simple. Coyotes fans will tell you that he's totally different now, but in Phoenix he hasn't won in the playoffs either. You'd think that he'd at least have won a single round on his own if he were an elite goalie. And in 01-02 Phoenix finished a mere 4 points out of the division lead, so it's not like he was goaltending a team of stiffs.

VaFlyer 01-27-2004 07:07 PM

I think Burke was absolutely horrible the first time he was here, especially in the playoffs, but the team didn't do much to help him either. Many of the shots he faced were unstoppable as the defense forgot how to play. Many were by open men right in front of the net.

This being said, I would welcome him back if a certain number of conditions were met:

1. Must come extremely cheap. I mean Tony Amonte last year cheap. A draft pick or 2 and a very marginal prospect. Otherwise-NO.

2. Must renegotiate contract so he is paid like a backup, probably a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd.

3. Must come in knowing he is the backup and accept the role of mentoring Esche through any tough times, esp. in the playoffs.

Why would I accept him? What are our other options? Lets look:

Jean Sebastian Aubin from Pitt.
Johan Hedberg from Vancouver
Brent Johnson from St. Louis
Fred Braithwaite from Columbus
Manny Legace in Detroit
Byron Dafoe in Atlanta
Steve Shields in Florida
Ron Tugnutt from Dallas
Olie Kolzig from Washington
Nikoli Khabibulin from Tampa
Jeff Hackett get better.

What do you like better?

Dr Love 01-27-2004 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaFlyer

Manny Legace in Detroit
Byron Dafoe in Atlanta
Steve Shields in Florida
Ron Tugnutt from Dallas
Jeff Hackett get better.

What do you like better?

Khabibulin isn't an option. The Lightning have stated that he won't be dealt this season, and they have no reason to deal him. Without him, they are not a playoff team.

I wouldn't mind having Manny Fernandez. A veteran backup with some playoff experience. Nice insurance to have.

blah 01-27-2004 07:14 PM

I'd be thrilled if we could get Legace but I don't think he'll get traded.

SaveByHexy 01-27-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaFlyer
I think Burke was absolutely horrible the first time he was here, especially in the playoffs, but the team didn't do much to help him either. Many of the shots he faced were unstoppable as the defense forgot how to play. Many were by open men right in front of the net.

This being said, I would welcome him back if a certain number of conditions were met:

1. Must come extremely cheap. I mean Tony Amonte last year cheap. A draft pick or 2 and a very marginal prospect. Otherwise-NO.

2. Must renegotiate contract so he is paid like a backup, probably a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd.

3. Must come in knowing he is the backup and accept the role of mentoring Esche through any tough times, esp. in the playoffs.

Manny Legace in Detroit
Byron Dafoe in Atlanta
Steve Shields in Florida
Ron Tugnutt from Dallas
Jeff Hackett get better.

What do you like better?

From That list (excluding Khabibulin who'd be my first choice were he available):
Kolzig
Tugnutt--good character guy
Legace
Hedberg
Shields
Dafoe
Brathwaite
Hackett
Johnson
Aubin

If we are going to go with Esche, then I'd like to see us go after an experienced, capable goalie to back him up...what about Garth Snow? If you think about it, he's won more playoff series' than Hackett or Esche, or Burke, or a number of goalies from that list. Not saying he's another Brodeur...just something that occurred to me.

Toonces 01-27-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist

Both. I don't remember the 98 playoffs as well as I probaly should to comment on it, but I do remember that the team as a whole was not very good. If I remember correctly, Rod Brind`Amour was one of the few players who actually showed up to play that year. I would speculate though that Sean Burke "should" do very well in front of this current Flyer incarnation.

If Hackett can't come back, there will be a trade for a goalie. I'd hope Clarke would try and get Manny Fernandez instead of going after Burke. Fernandez would come from a team that is used to a strict defensive system, and would blend well into Hitchcocks plans.