HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   PROPOSAL: Flames/Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47061)

HuskyFlames 01-26-2004 08:11 PM

PROPOSAL: Flames/Panthers

I have noticed this guy isn't doing too great this year AND the Panthers have a TON of amazing young talent coming up (Horton, Weiss, Stewart, etc). Would he be attainable?

Such as the following:

To Panthers:
Denis Gauthier
plus a pick

To Flames:
KRISTIAN HUSELIUS

Both make similar salaries and Gauts is known as one of the hardest hitting defensemen. He is also very defensively sound and I think would help reduce the number of shots you guys let on your goalie. What do you think?

HellsBells 01-26-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
I have noticed this guy isn't doing too great this year AND the Panthers have a TON of amazing young talent coming up (Horton, Weiss, Stewart, etc). Would he be attainable?

Such as the following:

To Panthers:
Denis Gauthier
plus a pick

To Flames:
KRISTIAN HUSELIUS

Both make similar salaries and Gauts is known as one of the hardest hitting defensemen. He is also very defensively sound and I think would help reduce the number of shots you guys let on your goalie. What do you think?

I'd say Gauthier alone is enough to get Huselius.

disles1 01-26-2004 08:26 PM

Quote:

Such as the following:

To Panthers:
Denis Gauthier
plus a pick

To Flames:
KRISTIAN HUSELIUS

Isles could use Gauthier- how about S. Bates? He is very fast, good on the pk and is making less than Gauthier. Fair? If you want younger guys we have Mapletoft or Papineau

OilerMania83 01-26-2004 08:50 PM

Wasn't there a rumour of Laraque for Huselius?
If that was the deal Gauthier and a pick for him is a complete over payment by Calgary.

(I like it :yo: )

HuskyFlames 01-26-2004 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disles1
Isles could use Gauthier- how about S. Bates? He is very fast, good on the pk and is making less than Gauthier. Fair? If you want younger guys we have Mapletoft or Papineau

Gauts for Bates, DONE!

As a Flames fan (living in Calgary) gauts is a solid defensemen but very one dimensional. He plays a solid hitting game and very little liability on the ice BUT I think he is slighty overvalued.

officeglen 01-26-2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield
I'd say Gauthier alone is enough to get Huselius.

Actually players in CAPS like HUSELIUS cost more and a lower case Gauthier isn't enough.

disles1 01-26-2004 09:20 PM

Quote:

Gauts for Bates, DONE!

As a Flames fan (living in Calgary) gauts is a solid defensemen but very one dimensional. He plays a solid hitting game and very little liability on the ice BUT I think he is slighty overvalued.

As a Isles fan (living on the island) ;) if I were Gm--you got a DEAL--fire up the fax!! Gauthier is the type of dman that we currently lack. Bates can play either wing or center and is very good on the pk--keep him off the pp however. Good trade for both teams

Takkie 01-26-2004 09:24 PM

forget Bates. take huselius!

Darth Milbury 01-26-2004 09:32 PM

Quote:

As a Isles fan (living on the island) ;) if I were Gm--you got a DEAL--fire up the fax!! Gauthier is the type of dman that we currently lack. Bates can play either wing or center and is very good on the pk--keep him off the pp however. Good trade for both teams

Isles would have to add something to that deal, but I would do it as well.

Rattrick 01-26-2004 10:13 PM

I have no interest in Gauthier as a Panthers fan. He always comes up in the proposals, but he is a smaller defenseman who is a -1 on a decent team.

disles1 01-26-2004 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luongofan
I have no interest in Gauthier as a Panthers fan. He always comes up in the proposals, but he is a smaller defenseman who is a -1 on a decent team.

Smaller dman? He is 6'2 225 :dunno:
About the same size as Lilja---which of these two is a better all around dman??

Orv 01-26-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

What do you mean you have no interest in Gauthier. He would easily be a top 3 d-man on your team (if not top 2). For a team that is that thin on defense I think the Panthers would be stupid not to pursue him.

Rattrick 01-26-2004 10:25 PM

Quote:

Smaller dman? He is 6'2 225 :dunno:
About the same size as Lilja---which of these two is a better all around dman??

Depends. If you are comparing the Lilja of last year than Lilja is better. This year, Lilja hasn't played too well, but I haven't seen Gauthier enough yet to judge him. The reason I call him small is because Dudley likes huge defenseman so they would have to be a pretty good smaller defenseman to interest Dudley.

Rattrick 01-26-2004 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orv
What do you mean you have no interest in Gauthier. He would easily be a top 3 d-man on your team (if not top 2). For a team that is that thin on defense I think the Panthers would be stupid not to pursue him.

I totally disagree. Maybe now with Bo and Van Ryn out. As soon as they return, he would be stuck on the 3rd pairing.

HuskyFlames 01-26-2004 10:57 PM

Quote:

I totally disagree. Maybe now with Bo and Van Ryn out. As soon as they return, he would be stuck on the 3rd pairing.

gauthier = cheap version of Scott Steves for hitting. The guy lays people out. He's an exciting player to watch in Calgary but we need some offense.

Rattrick 01-27-2004 12:02 AM

Quote:

gauthier = cheap version of Scott Steves for hitting. The guy lays people out. He's an exciting player to watch in Calgary but we need some offense.

Like I said, I have only seen him 3 times this year, so I really should pass judgement.

kolanos 01-27-2004 06:43 AM

The Flames have no need for Bates, he's a smallish third liner at best on any team in the league (including the Flames -- maybe even a fourth liner) and the Flames would be getting burned in a deal like that. Gauthier isn't going to the Isles unless it is someone like Kvasha coming back and even then it would take alot for Sutter to pull the trigger on something like that.

As for Huselius -- that's an interesting one. It doesn't really answer the Flames immediate needs, as they're almost as deep on LW as they are on defense. But for a relatively young second line winger, it might be worth looking into -- but Huselius doesn't really play the Sutter game so I doubt Sutter would be interested in a deal like this.

The Flames really could use a centre or a right winger right now. With Saprykin, Gelinas, McAmmond, and Nystrom coming up soon the Flames aren't in dire need of a left-winger in the immediate future -- not to say it is out of the question.

Coolburn 01-27-2004 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolanos
As for Huselius -- that's an interesting one. It doesn't really answer the Flames immediate needs, as they're almost as deep on LW as they are on defense. But for a relatively young second line winger, it might be worth looking into -- but Huselius doesn't really play the Sutter game so I doubt Sutter would be interested in a deal like this.

The Flames really could use a centre or a right winger right now. With Saprykin, Gelinas, McAmmond, and Nystrom coming up soon the Flames aren't in dire need of a left-winger in the immediate future -- not to say it is out of the question.

I would not try to look at it like Huselius not playing the Sutter game or the Flames are stocked with LW. The reason I say that is because currently Huselius is centering a line between Hagman (grinder) and Hordichuk (enforcer). He's been back-checking unlike what he did in the past. While he's not scoring goals like he previous did, he's also not floating out there either. There was talk at the beginning of the season about moving Kristian to RW. With him playing center right now, you can see he's very versatile.

I'm still unsure I would make the trade...a guy like Gauthier might be helpful to the team. Guys who can clear the crease and lay down a good hit are missing in FL. But I'm just worried we'll get another Ulanov, just a little younger. I'd like a 5th rounder coming back to FL considered we'd be picking up an additional $400,000 in salary.

FLAMESFAN 01-27-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

The Flames have no need for Bates, he's a smallish third liner at best on any team in the league (including the Flames -- maybe even a fourth liner) and the Flames would be getting burned in a deal like that. Gauthier isn't going to the Isles unless it is someone like Kvasha coming back and even then it would take alot for Sutter to pull the trigger on something like that.

When you factor in the fact Gelinas has stated he may not be back if there's a lock out, the need for a LWer increases. I think it's enivitable one of the Dmen are moved for a forward.

disles1 01-27-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Bates would be your 3rd leading scorer this year---in fact over the past 3 years he would have been no worse than 5th on your team. He is a good player who can help any team. He is no Iginla for sure--but he can help a team. The isles would have to add a pick but it is a fair trade IMO

Orv 01-27-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Bates would be your 3rd leading scorer this year---in fact over the past 3 years he would have been no worse than 5th on your team. He is a good player who can help any team. He is no Iginla for sure--but he can help a team. The isles would have to add a pick but it is a fair trade IMO

Personally I would rather have Scatchard (is he injured?) or Kvasha. That would give us the size down the middle that we need. As of right now our centre's aren't that big. I don't know if the Isles would be willing to give that up, but from a Flames perspective it would be a lot better than Bates.

disles1 01-27-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orv
Personally I would rather have Scatchard (is he injured?) or Kvasha. That would give us the size down the middle that we need. As of right now our centre's aren't that big. I don't know if the Isles would be willing to give that up, but from a Flames perspective it would be a lot better than Bates.

Sure you can have Scatch or Kvasha but it would be for Regehr not Gauthier--

Flames Draft Watcher 01-27-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLAMESFAN
When you factor in the fact Gelinas has stated he may not be back if there's a lock out, the need for a LWer increases. I think it's enivitable one of the Dmen are moved for a forward.

Inevitable?

I'm going to have to disagree with that one. I think Sutter could make a move but if he does he's going to have to acquire another depth defensemen.

I guess it depends on your time frame. I think when Phaneuf enters the NHL that Gauthier will be completely expendable. But I certainly don't think it's inevitable that Sutter moves one of them this year.

Flames Draft Watcher 01-27-2004 10:21 PM

Quote:

Sure you can have Scatch or Kvasha but it would be for Regehr not Gauthier--

I'm not sure there's a single player on the Isles that Sutter would trade Regehr straight up for. There's a reason we signed him to a 5 year deal and named him an assistant captain at age 23. He's one of our core guys for the future. He's a future Foote/Hatcher type of player.

disles1 01-27-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
I'm not sure there's a single player on the Isles that Sutter would trade Regehr straight up for. There's a reason we signed him to a 5 year deal and named him an assistant captain at age 23. He's one of our core guys for the future. He's a future Foote/Hatcher type of player.

I agree Regehr is not going anywhere and agree that Gauthier is expendable--that is why I proposed Gauts for Bates. We would have to throw in a pick--but you're not getting Gauts for Scatch.