HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   WSH/PHI Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47089)

PantherBlood6* 01-26-2004 09:34 PM

WSH/PHI Proposal

Short and sweet:

PHI Gets: Sergei Gonchar
WSH Gets: Simon Gagne

thoughts?

BruinFan42 01-26-2004 09:36 PM

I don't think Philly needs yet another defensmen, especially if they have to give up Gagne. He's still got another year to prove himself.

I say look for Philly to go after Kolzig hard. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of Philly's D-men go to Washington at the deadline for him.

GKJ 01-26-2004 09:37 PM

No.

PF 01-26-2004 09:39 PM

Hm, still not sold on the Kolzig idea either myself...prefering the idea of Fernandez as has been recently suggested.

PantherBlood6* 01-26-2004 09:40 PM

Just trying to get a sense of both player's trade vlaue....who would you all say is worth more in a trade? Gagne or Gonchar?

bandwagon 01-26-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKF37
Short and sweet:

thoughts?

I think that the Flyers are actually pretty good on D. Sure, if they can add a guy like Gonchar without giving up too much, they'd do it, but I can't see them being willing to give up Gagne, especially considering that they moved Williams for Markov. No doubt they'd like to keep some of their youth in town. Besides, Gagne is quite a good player.

Maybe with some tinkering this could work. Maybe Handzus and a pick? Just a random offer really. I don't know what the Flyers would be willing to offer, but I'm fairly certain I've heard Handzus's name mentioned as a guy they might be willing to move in a trade.

Is my counter-proposal even a slight possibility?

CapitalsCupFantasy 01-26-2004 09:44 PM

Not enough IMO

Quote:

Short and sweet:

thoughts?

Only assets I see the Caps interested in are Gagne, and Pitkanen (Seidenberg until he was severly injured).

Gagne straight up wouldn't do it for me.

regehr 01-26-2004 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandwagon
Maybe with some tinkering this could work. Maybe Handzus and a pick? Just a random offer really. I don't know what the Flyers would be willing to offer, but I'm fairly certain I've heard Handzus's name mentioned as a guy they might be willing to move in a trade.

Is my counter-proposal even a slight possibility?

Not likely. Caps need at least one D coming back the other way. Gonchar's out for a month anyway, but at the deadline teams competing for him will drive the price up.

btmarshall 01-26-2004 09:56 PM

For starters, the Caps should be able to get a 1st and a blue chip prospect, but may be able to get that and more in the end. We'll see. I could see Colorado and Toronto competing to land that asset on trade deadline day.

stanley 01-26-2004 10:59 PM

I can understand BTM's point of view, where Washington might want to hold out to get the best deal they can, but I'd like to meet the GM that wouldn't take Simon Gagne for Sergei Gonchar (with the understanding, of course, that Gonchar wouldn't be brought back at season's end by Washington). We'd both have to go to the emergency room to get my foot out of his backside.

justdanickoftime* 01-26-2004 11:20 PM

Quote:

Short and sweet:

thoughts?

ummm you are kidding right

caps get
gagne
pikenkin
draft pick

flyers get gonchar

bandwagon 01-26-2004 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justdanickoftime

caps get
gagne
pikenkin
draft pick

flyers get gonchar

Biscuit Bullet 01-26-2004 11:46 PM

Quote:

caps get
gagne
pikenkin
draft pick

flyers get gonchar

We're talking about Gonchar here, not God.

Classic Devil 01-26-2004 11:51 PM

There's no player in the league who could get Gagne, Pitkanen, and a pick. Nobody.

donelikedinner 01-26-2004 11:54 PM

Quote:

caps get
gagne
pikenkin
draft pick

flyers get gonchar

:joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:
but seriously, are ya smoking da weed or are you a bitter leafs nut?

Nikkowar 01-27-2004 12:00 AM

Quote:

caps get
gagne
pikenkin
draft pick

flyers get gonchar

First off,it's PITKANEN.
Second off,this would never happen-but thanks for the laugh
:joker: :joker: :lol: :lol: :joker: :lol:

btmarshall 01-27-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzai
We're talking about Gonchar here, not God.

bwahaha!

Seriously, Gonchar has high value, but Pitkanen is quite simply untouchable. Even making an offer is a waste of time. He will not be going anywhere for years.

For what it's worth, I think Gagne-Gonchar one for one is interesting. I'm not quite sure what to think of it, but it's close. The Capitals are generally interested in picks and prospects, but age and salary mean that Gagne would certainly fit. I suspect that if the Flyers pursue Gonchar, Clarke will prefer to deliver future assets rather than unload one of his current young stars. Something like Jeff Carter and a 1st for Gonchar would seem to be the right ballpark.

Personally, I doubt the Flyers look for any more defensemen this year. When healthy they have a top six of Desjardins, Markov, Ragnarsson, Johnsson, Pitkanen and Weinrich, with a bench of Vandermeer, Timander, Seidenberg and Therien.

Unless Gonchar comes cheap, and he will not, there really is no reason to expend young assets to bolster themselves at that position. Better to spend those assets on a veteran netminder to partner with Esche.

Any interest in Kolzig? :)

Winston Wolf 01-27-2004 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donelikedinner
:joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:
but seriously, are ya smoking da weed or are you a bitter leafs nut?

I think crack is far more likely.