HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Muckler exploring 'avenues' other than Bondra + Chi/Ott Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47218)

officeglen 01-27-2004 02:08 PM

Muckler exploring 'avenues' other than Bondra + Chi/Ott Proposal

See article at:
Muckler exploring 'avenues' other than Bondra

This article is not by Garrioch but by the reasonable and fairly accurate sports journalist Chris Stevenson.

Quote:

While some might wonder how adding Bondra to a team that's already the highest-scoring in the league improves things, Muckler argued "you can never have enough ammunition. You're always trying to get more."

Noting the importance of special teams in the post-season, Muckler said he would like to shore up the second power-play unit with a pointman, a position in which Bondra excels.
Essentially this confirms the Sens interest in Bondra, but doesn't mean a deal is going to happen.

Quote:

Bondra isn't the only commodity interesting Muckler.

"I'm pursuing a bunch of different avenues," he said.

Muckler would also like to add some help on the team's left side, a position "that could use some tweaking," and scare up another defenceman.

"We have seven (blueliners), but that may not be enough to get through," he said. "A couple of injuries and you're short."
This is no surprise either.

Now for my complete guess, and it is a guess. The Sens had been scouting the Hawks but reports claimed they were scouting somebody different than Alexei Zhamnov (and like the Sens need more C). I suspect the scouts were watching Jason Strudwick. He can play both LW and D, has good size, gets along very well with his teammates, and gives 110% on the ice, including playing a physical game. He has poor mobility and has suffered a few injuries this season, but as a fourth-line LW who will get in front of the opponents net when asked to, and deliver some crunching hits, he would be a good addition to the playoff Sens. In addition he can fill-in as D if the injuries happens.

So my proposal is this:
Ottawa: Jason Strudwick
Chicago: Petr Schastlivy

I also wonder if the Canucks would want to trade to get Strudwick back as a depth D.

Wingboy2999 01-27-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officeglen
See article at:
Muckler exploring 'avenues' other than Bondra

This article is not by Garrioch but by the reasonable and fairly accurate sports journalist Chris Stevenson.

Essentially this confirms the Sens interest in Bondra, but doesn't mean a deal is going to happen.

This is no surprise either.

Now for my complete guess, and it is a guess. The Sens had been scouting the Hawks but reports claimed they were scouting somebody different than Alexei Zhamnov (and like the Sens need more C). I suspect the scouts were watching Jason Strudwick. He can play both LW and D, has good size, gets along very well with his teammates, and gives 110% on the ice, including playing a physical game. He has poor mobility and has suffered a few injuries this season, but as a fourth-line LW who will get in front of the opponents net when asked to, and deliver some crunching hits, he would be a good addition to the playoff Sens. In addition he can fill-in as D if the injuries happens.

So my proposal is this:
Ottawa: Jason Strudwick
Chicago: Petr Schastlivy

I also wonder if the Canucks would want to trade to get Strudwick back as a depth D.

Isn't Schlastivy involved in other possible deals for much better players? I don't know too much about Schlastivy but that just strikes me as overpaying.

sensfan18 01-27-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Isn't Schlastivy involved in other possible deals for much better players? I don't know too much about Schlastivy but that just strikes me as overpaying.

He is "apparantly" part of the offer for bondra, dealing him for a player who would not make much of a difference (ie. strudwick) is like shooting yourself in the foot. Also, I think that if they acquired Strudwick they would want him more for a depth d'man than a forward and could probably get him for a later pick.

Rageinthecage 01-27-2004 03:50 PM

If you want Strudwick and surrender more than a 4th rounder, you're seriously overpaying.

I thought the Senators had one of the deepest blueline corps in the NHL. Muckler seems to be suffering from an acute case of Ken Hollanditis. I suppose that's what happens when your captain guarantees a Cup win.

wasting time 01-27-2004 03:54 PM

How much better do the Sens really need to be? I mean really?

sincerely,

Toronto Fan

officeglen 01-27-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasting time
How much better do the Sens really need to be? I mean really?

sincerely,

Toronto Fan

About two points in the standings better

Ottawa Fan

P.S. Enjoy your snowstorm and hope it doesn't come here!

Burke's Evil Spirit 01-27-2004 04:07 PM

Man, is he still pursuing avenues? Muckler needs to buck up and take a stroll down the Sergei Zubov expressway.

HF2002 01-27-2004 04:19 PM

The quote that Muckler gave confirmed what I have suspected - that the Sens won't be trading any defensemen. The Sens depth at D is pretty thin(numbers wise, and even quality):

Redden, Chara, Phillips, Rachunek

then drops

Lechyshyn(sp?), Pothier, Hnidy

plus the injured

Volchenkov

Am I forgetting someone? Anyway, while the Sens may deal for a forward they certainly won't be giving away any defense(ie Hnidy in a Bondra deal). As Muckler said, one or two injuries to the top 4 and the Sens are in trouble come playoff time. Does anyone know what Volchenkov's recovery time is?

Buffaloed 01-27-2004 04:23 PM

Muckler traded for Satan once. It could happen again if the stars are aligned right at the trade deadline. :p

YellHockey* 01-27-2004 04:29 PM

Quote:

Stevenson? Reasonable and fairly accurate?

That's your funniest joke yet, officeglen!

He's the guy who's been on a mission to get Martin out of Ottawa for years. He thinks he can run the Sens better then any of the GMs they've had (think draft Matt Zultek instead of Marian Hossa). Plus, he's a crony of the Dandyman.

eazye 01-27-2004 04:43 PM

If Bondra deal falls through...

...What about Scott Young from Dallas?? Similar player to Bondra except for the fact of having 2 Stanley Cup Rings. He can play the point on the power play and can play either wing. I would like to see this deal expanded to get both Young and Morrow. As long as Ottawa signs Alfredsson soon, I would trade Havlat to Dallas for Morrow and Young. Dallas needs scoring and already have enough power forwards in Arnott and Guerin. Young could slide into Havlat's spot beside Spezza and Smolinski. Losing Young's contract would give Dallas more money to play with to add another tough defenceman. Morrow would be the top line, gritty left winger that I believe this club needs to win a Stanley Cup. Young would be the second power play units point man. Havlat and Modano could do some serious damage on the scorboard especially with Guerin on their line. Maybe a draft pick would have to be included along with Havlat to get both Young and Morrow. Just a thought?!!

kidchrome 01-27-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

About two points in the standings better

Ottawa Fan

P.S. Enjoy your snowstorm and hope it doesn't come here!

:joker: :joker: :joker:
only two back without a bona fide left winger!!!! Whatever will happen if and when that side is shored up????? double digit scores !!!!!! TO meets Jersey in the first round. Ouch!! :eek:

Ajacied 01-27-2004 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazye
...What about Scott Young from Dallas?? Similar player to Bondra except for the fact of having 2 Stanley Cup Rings. He can play the point on the power play and can play either wing.

Young is enjoying an even streakier season than usual. His father passed away more then 2 months ago, and has been bothered by several injuries. He's not useless, and likely never will due to his sound defensive game and his ability to pick corners from everywhere, but he can hit scoreless droughts for 20 games easily. Then again, he can also score in bunches. 15 Goals in the same number of games is not out of the question.. However, he's not as good as Bondra, and likely never was. Bondra is a worldclass sniper that isn't nearly as streaky, plus he's more offensive minded, making him a more dangerous threat on the ice.

That said, Scott Young has a NTC.. ;)

Quote:

I would like to see this deal expanded to get both Young and Morrow. As long as Ottawa signs Alfredsson soon, I would trade Havlat to Dallas for Morrow and Young.

Forget the name Morrow. He's not tradeable. He's everything our team isn't. He's been our best player ever since last years playoffs, he's utterly sound defensively and has 30 goals upside to go with a powerforward type game. If those latest tracked stats are of any truth, he's in the top 5 in hits, just like he was before they stopped tracking them. There's nothing he doesn't.. To top it off, he's also our only natural left winger we currently have. I know he's seen as one of only a handfull of guys you'd trade Havlat for, but Morrow is here to stay.

Quote:

Dallas needs scoring and already have enough power forwards in Arnott and Guerin.

So if the Stars need scoring like you just claimed, why substract 2 forwards for the price of one? Besides, scoring isn't the problem, its the consistency and overall effort. Once again, Morrow leads the Stars in both regards...

Quote:

Young could slide into Havlat's spot beside Spezza and Smolinski. Losing Young's contract would give Dallas more money to play with to add another tough defenceman.

Another tough D-man? We already have John Erskine as our #7 defenseman, no need to add another one. Also, the Stars defense ranks 1st in the league in shots against, they've been solid as a group, but not quite as sound individually.

Quote:

Morrow would be the top line, gritty left winger that I believe this club needs to win a Stanley Cup. Young would be the second power play units point man. Havlat and Modano could do some serious damage on the scorboard especially with Guerin on their line. Maybe a draft pick would have to be included along with Havlat to get both Young and Morrow. Just a thought?!!

How could Guerin and Modano play on a line with Havlat? The sole reason why Havlat is said to be available is because he can't play LW to save his life. He's a right winger, and he isn't any better then Jere Lehtinen or Bill Guerin, so his icetime wouldn't increase much, if at all, playing in Dallas. And no, Guerin can't play LW either..

Just forget Morrow.. I've done the same with Hatcher..

PhoPhan 01-27-2004 05:12 PM

I don't know how long it's been since I've seen a Sens proposal with Schastlivy.

sensfan18 01-27-2004 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rageinthecage
I thought the Senators had one of the deepest blueline corps in the NHL. Muckler seems to be suffering from an acute case of Ken Hollanditis. I suppose that's what happens when your captain guarantees a Cup win.

It is true they do have one of the deepest D'corps in the league. I really don't think they would have any interest in Strudwick. However I can see Muck pursuing a Carney or Boughner (Curtis L. and Carney/Boughner would be a great #5-6 pairing) at the deadline to round out the top 6, making hnidy a depth #7 guy where he belongs. This is assuming Volchenkov won't be back, the forecast on him is foggy, or maybe Pothier steps it up and becomes the full-time #6.

Egil 01-27-2004 05:47 PM

The problem is that Washington has picked up all our defensive depth. Kwietkowsky, Doig, Bomedienne were all depth Senators defensemen lost to the Capitals. Then, our #5 defender blows out his shoulder, and things start getting a bit tighter. The team still has 8 D we are confident in, but it is unknown if Volchenkov will make it back, and we don't have a guy in the minors that the team would want playing in the playoffs, should the need arise.

wasting time 01-27-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidchrome
:joker: :joker: :joker:
only two back without a bona fide left winger!!!! Whatever will happen if and when that side is shored up????? double digit scores !!!!!! TO meets Jersey in the first round. Ouch!! :eek:

I think Toronto is doing just fine with an average of 6 regulars and as high as $36 million in payroll in the press box. 8 regulars out in the Sens last game. Now that's an ouch.

Wondercarrot 01-27-2004 07:26 PM

Quote:

The sole reason why Havlat is said to be available is because he can't play LW to save his life.
Just wanted to correct a couple of things in this comment.
First of all Havlat is not "said to be available". Maybe in fantasy land but certainly not in reality.
Secondly, Havlat was the Czech Republic's best player at the last Olympics....while playing the left side. Havlat also plays the left side on the #1 PP in Ottawa, while alternately subbing in part time as the left winger on the Bonk-Hossa line to get him more minutes.

He has said he prefers the right side but obviously has little trouble playing the other side. Not that it makes a difference i suppose because he isn't going anywhere.

This may seem like a small point but it needed to be set straight by someone who knows the team.

SensGod 01-27-2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
First of all Havlat is not "said to be available". Maybe in fantasy land but certainly not in reality.
Secondly, Havlat was the Czech Republic's best player at the last Olympics....while playing the left side. Havlat also plays the left side on the #1 PP in Ottawa, while alternately subbing in part time as the left winger on the Bonk-Hossa line to get him more minutes.

He has said he prefers the right side but obviously has little trouble playing the other side. Not that it makes a difference i suppose because he isn't going anywhere.

This may seem like a small point but it needed to be set straight by someone who knows the team.

Just to further qualify this...because it's partially true what the earlier poster said about Havlat not being able to play the LW.

up until this year...Havlat hasn't been the same player on the LW that he has been on the RW. Only as of late, has he started to have a little more success on the LW than in the past. But it's still very apparent that he's much happier on the right side.

50 Mission Cap 01-27-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wondercarrot

Didn't get a chance to watch the Olympics did you? The Czech team had Jagr, Lang, Hejduk, Straka and Sykora. Havlat was hardly their best player.

The Mars Volchenkov 01-27-2004 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
Didn't get a chance to watch the Olympics did you? The Czech team had Jagr, Lang, Hejduk, Straka and Sykora. Havlat was hardly their best player.

Yeah and Havlat was better during the Olympics.