HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sabres 2004 Deadline Preview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47223)

TehDoak 01-27-2004 02:49 PM

Sabres 2004 Deadline Preview

Situation: Buffalo is currently on the outside looking in (7 pts behind Atlanta and the 8th spot). Barring a prolonged winning to streak to get them back in the race, Buffalo will be selling.

Needs: With Zhitnik leaving, Buffalo needs to rebuild the blueline. Needs a veteran, tough D-man who can play the right side and an offensive two way D-man who can log 25+ minutes a game. Also, a physical top 6 forward would add quite a bit to the team.

Assets:
Curtis Brown: 1.6 Million Salary is reasonable for a great checking center with decent playmaking skills. Has shown ability to put up decent numbers given good ice time.

Maxim Afinogenov: Incrediable Skills, limited production. Blazing Speed down the RW, good shot, poor production and little defensive prowress limit. Has an incredible potential upside, however.

Miroslav Satan- Proven veteran sniper struggling through season. Though may still have a 30 goal season, is still struggling. Is defensivly responsible and would be the ideal 2nd line sniper for playoff contenders. Reasonable 2 year contract(4.75 this year, 5.25 next) though, Buffalo may still have to pick up salary.

Martin Biron- A legit NHL starter, but subject to prolonged hot/cold streaks. Concentration lapses hurt his value and will give up the odd soft goal. No Playoff experience limits him to teams desperate for goaltending (i.e. The Rangers, Blue Jackets)

Alexi Zhitnik- An Ideal #2/3 D-man, can run the PP, log 25+ minutes a night, perhaps the most valuable asset Buffalo has at the trade deadline. Should be coveted come deadline time. Clutch in the playoffs, though, can take a bad penalty at a bad time.

Outlook: Satan, Biron, and Afinogenov may or may not be traded, but I think its a safe bet to see Brown and Zhitnik gone if Buffalo is out of the playoffs come March.

degroat* 01-27-2004 02:53 PM

No playoff team is going to be trading the things that you say the Sabres need.

Takeo 01-27-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdoak
Needs: With Zhitnik leaving, Buffalo needs to rebuild the blueline. Needs a veteran, tough D-man who can play the right side and an offensive two way D-man who can log 25+ minutes a game. Also, a physical top 6 forward would add quite a bit to the team.

The blueline will not be rebuilt by acquiring veteran guys at the deadline. The Sabres will shift to rebuilding mode and picks and prospects will comprise the returns for guys like Zhitnik, Brown, and Biron. Degroat's point is right on. At best, Regier will nab Boychuk, Harrison, Lampman, Koltsov, etc. types. And that's fine by me.

H-Bear 01-27-2004 03:40 PM

Smith, Isbister, pick
for
Biron, Pyatt

Maybe wwwaaaayyyy off here, but it seems to suit your description.

TehDoak 01-27-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degroat
No playoff team is going to be trading the things that you say the Sabres need.

I don't expect them to, to be honest. But I am covering both sides of the coin, if they are in the playoff hunt and if they are not. I expect Buffalo to get some young D-men back and quite a few picks.

SabresRule 01-27-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Smith, Isbister, pick
for
Biron, Pyatt
i like that alot.

we need to ditch Zhitnik, Satan to free up room to sign people like Scott neidermayer in the offseason. we need also Defensive prospect's, top 4 ones, we can sign a few cheap vet's in the offseason, ton's will be going around.

having said all this, i doubt we will be doing either, we will make a few trades for defenive prospects and picks, but nothing special, people like Satan will go for young players of some description, but not alot.

also Patrick i really want to go to a Cup contender, any idea's?

Takeo 01-27-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Bear
Smith, Isbister, pick
for
Biron, Pyatt

If you want Biron, Matthew Greene would be fine. Spare the details. BTG might even toss you some cash.

Andre the Gionta 01-27-2004 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabresRule
i like that alot.

we need to ditch Zhitnik, Satan to free up room to sign people like Scott neidermayer in the offseason. we need also Defensive prospect's, top 4 ones, we can sign a few cheap vet's in the offseason, ton's will be going around.

Niedermayer is a restricted free agent, not an unrestricted one.

degroat* 01-27-2004 04:28 PM

Biron + Zhitnik
for
Sejna + Walker + 2nd

TehDoak 01-27-2004 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Bear
Smith, Isbister, pick
for
Biron, Pyatt

Pyatt, IMHO, is untradable. he still has lots of upside left and has the pontential to be a true power forward. Isbister is a solid 20 goal scorer, but won't do much besides that.

Biron and a 4th rounder for Smith.

SuperNintendoChalmrs 01-27-2004 04:51 PM

The Sabres should go through a rebuild phase.....certainly don't see the purpose of bringing in Brad Isbister.....maybe he can look at Taylor Pyatt and say "Hello Me From 6 Years Ago!!!!!"

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 05:04 PM

To Buffalo

Kiril Koltsov
Brad May(salary dump)
1st round pick

To Canucks

Miro Satan

The Sabres get a good, defensive prospect who has been compared to a poor man's Sergei Zubov, with a bit of Alexei Zhitnik's grit tossed in. In any case, Koltsov has the potential to be a solid NHL'er. The only thing holding him back is his size(6'0" 191lbs), but as he matures, he'll bulk up. The Sabres also get a late 1st round pick to help with the re-building process. Brad May is in the deal because the Canucks likely wouldn't want to be adding a full $5 mil to their payroll next year. They'd either have to send a salary the other way(May was a fan fav in Buffalo, makes just over $1 mil), of Buffalo would have to pick up some salary.

The Canucks get their proven secondary scorer that they have been looking to acquire for some time. Salary is a bit steep, but if the Canucks are willing to "bite the bullet" for next season, they could pay Satan's salary next year, and the year after that Naslund could be gone, allowing the Canucks to use his salary to pay for Satan's. Satan would be a fairly nice transitional player for when/if Nazzy retires. I'd also like to see Zhitnik on the Canucks, but I'm not sure what his asking price would be or if the Canucks could afford to add his remaining salary.

future consideration 01-27-2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
To Buffalo

Kiril Koltsov
Brad May(salary dump)
1st round pick

To Canucks

Miro Satan

The Sabres get a good, defensive prospect who has been compared to a poor man's Sergei Zubov, with a bit of Alexei Zhitnik's grit tossed in. In any case, Koltsov has the potential to be a solid NHL'er. The only thing holding him back is his size(6'0" 191lbs), but as he matures, he'll bulk up. The Sabres also get a late 1st round pick to help with the re-building process. Brad May is in the deal because the Canucks likely wouldn't want to be adding a full $5 mil to their payroll next year. They'd either have to send a salary the other way(May was a fan fav in Buffalo, makes just over $1 mil), of Buffalo would have to pick up some salary.

The Canucks get their proven secondary scorer that they have been looking to acquire for some time. Salary is a bit steep, but if the Canucks are willing to "bite the bullet" for next season, they could pay Satan's salary next year, and the year after that Naslund could be gone, allowing the Canucks to use his salary to pay for Satan's. Satan would be a fairly nice transitional player for when/if Nazzy retires. I'd also like to see Zhitnik on the Canucks, but I'm not sure what his asking price would be or if the Canucks could afford to add his remaining salary.

I like the deal but I'm not sure if I'd want May or Chubarov. May's grit and leadership would be very welcomed here but I dunno if his injury history would scare Regeir away. If Chubarov came back that would free up Brown to be dealt. A very good start to a deal. :handclap:

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by future consideration
I like the deal but I'm not sure if I'd want May or Chubarov. May's grit and leadership would be very welcomed here but I dunno if his injury history would scare Regeir away. If Chubarov came back that would free up Brown to be dealt. A very good start to a deal. :handclap:

I think Brad May would have to be included in the deal, either that or Buffalo picks up some salary. I'd be willing to swap Chubarov in place of May if Buffalo was willing to pay up between $500,000-1 mil on Satan's salary for next season. Like you said, that would allow Buffalo to trade the more expensive Brown thus saving more money.

Ruckus007 01-27-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

To Buffalo

Kirill Koltsov
Brad May(salary dump)
1st round pick

To Canucks

Miro Satan

I'll take it. Would you consider adding Curtis Brown and Tomas Mojzis into this deal if some if Satan's salary is picked up?

SabresRule 01-27-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

To Buffalo

Kiril Koltsov
Brad May(salary dump)
1st round pick

To Canucks

Miro Satan

the fans would welcome May back, and we need a defensive prospect like koltsov, who seems like the sort of fiesty defensman we need as well, and the 1st rounder i like.

i love that deal.

EDIT: now iv found a good 1, thanks for depressing me to the fact that regier the ******* wont trade. thanks :mad: :cry: lol

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
I'll take it. Would you consider adding Curtis Brown and Tomas Mojzis into this deal if some if Satan's salary is picked up?

I like Brown, but if Koltsov is dealt, the Canucks would have to keep Mojzis, he'd be the Canucks top defensive prospect after Koltsov. What about Zhintik? What would it take to add him to the deal?

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

the fans would welcome May back, and we need a defensive prospect like koltsov, who seems like the sort of fiesty defensman we need as well, and the 1st rounder i like.

i love that deal.

Most Canucks fans would like it to. Not only do we get a proven secondary scorer, but we do it without giving up anyone important off the roster, and we get rid of Brad May and his salary! I'd wait around to see what Carolina does with Jeff O'Neill first, but I would have no qualms about making this deal. I think that the Canucks can afford to pay for Satan's salary next season if they bite the bullet and increase their budget a bit more.

Ruckus007 01-27-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

I like Brown, but if Koltsov is dealt, the Canucks would have to keep Mojzis, he'd be the Canucks top defensive prospect after Koltsov. What about Zhintik? What would it take to add him to the deal?

Sopel! :yo:

You know how I feel about Zhitnik for Sopel but in reality I think Cooke might have to be added. I know he's pretty close to untouchable right now so I might be willing to add Ruutu. How's he played this year? I get the impression he's turned into a first class fourth line pest but I'd like to know for sure.

SabresRule 01-27-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

federov probably. not that we need another lazy prospect. Sopel would be perfect tho.

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Sopel! :yo:

You know how I feel about Zhitnik for Sopel but in reality I think Cooke might have to be added. I know he's pretty close to untouchable right now so I might be willing to add Ruutu. How's he played this year? I get the impression he's turned into a first class fourth line pest but I'd like to know for sure.

Cooke and Sopel won't be dealt, they are valuable, cheap, young contributing players. Ruutu could be dealt, but I think Burke would rather hang onto him. Does Jason King interest the Sabres at all? Getting Zhitnik as well as Satan would probably be too costly for the Canucks, but that would really bolster their line-up for a playoff run.

SabresRule 01-27-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Cooke and Sopel won't be dealt, they are valuable, cheap, young contributing players. Ruutu could be dealt, but I think Burke would rather hang onto him. Does Jason King interest the Sabres at all? Getting Zhitnik as well as Satan would probably be too costly for the Canucks, but that would really bolster their line-up for a playoff run.

Zhitnik is a end of season UFA, King got 11 goals quickly, then did nothing, whats the deal?!

degroat* 01-27-2004 06:11 PM

So does the lack of complainging from Sabres fans mean that my proposed deal is okay?

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degroat
So does the lack of complainging from Sabres fans mean that my proposed deal is okay?

No, it means they were "wowed" by my proposal and completely ignored yours! :p

Peter Griffin 01-27-2004 06:14 PM

Quote:

Zhitnik is a end of season UFA, King got 11 goals quickly, then did nothing, whats the deal?!

What's the deal with what? :dunno: