HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Siarhei Kastsitsyn Appreciation Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=472549)

BaseballCoach 02-01-2008 02:56 AM

Siarhei Kastsitsyn Appreciation Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vampiro (Post 12292373)
I said it before and I will say it again, this guy is the real deal and he will become one of the best player on this team in a few years. He will surpass his brother no doubt to me. Andrei will score more goals, but Sergei will put up more points because of his amazing hockey vision.

Many thought that he was leeching from Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner last year with the London Knignts and most people thought that he wasn't as good as his stats reflected. The real fact is, It was Sergei Kostitsyn that Made Kane and Gagner !! He was the most complete junior player last season and I'm glad that he proves to everybody now that he's gonna be a real force for years to come. I know it's still early, but I just know it :D He is my Favorite player right now on the Habs roster :D

You may have a point, and by the way former NHLer and father of Sam, Dave Gagner, said at the beginning of the year that Kosty Jr was the most complete of the three kids.

So far in the NHL, here are the three kids' stats. The conclusion is STUNNING.

Sam Gagner
50 gp @ 14:00 per game
4-17-21 -13

Siarhei Kastsitsyn
21 gp @ 13:38 per game
5-8-13 +3

Patrick Kane
51 gp @ 18:47 per game
12-33-45 -6


Normalized to 82 games @ 18:47 minutes each, we would see this:

Sam Gagner
9-37-46 -29

Siarhei Kastsitsyn
26-43-69 +16

Patrick Kane
19-55-74 -10


Now, remember this: Siarhei doesn't have a Jonathan Toews to play with. He has played mostly on the third line since he arrived. Yet his offensive contribution per minute played is very close to the highly praised Kane's, while his defense and his toughness surpasses both of his former linemates fairly easily.

Well done, Siarhei, it's exciting to watch you develop before our eyes!

Masao 02-01-2008 03:01 AM

IMO the sample is too small to make stats projections

And theres just way too much stuff that affects a player's statistics

BaseballCoach 02-01-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masao (Post 12292701)
IMO the sample is too small to make stats projections

And theres just way too much stuff that affects a player's statistics

I KNOW that. But I also know what I SEE. And I SEE Siarhei's excellent play, it's not just a statistical fluke.

On a night like tonight, we're entitled to APPRECIATE him!

:handclap:

brownman* 02-01-2008 03:10 AM

He's an absolute pleasure to watch, with and without the puck. Like most elite players his head is on a smooth swivel, his positioning is superb.

Still can't believe the day is actually here that the bros are on the big club and producing. Never thought the hockey gods would let it happen.

Clumsyhab 02-01-2008 03:25 AM

That kid has some talents for sure. I don't know if it's just me but when he was on Koivu's line, Saks and Higgy didn't pass him the puck very often. Same thing happens with Stoner and Tender. However, when he gets the puck, he creates a scoring chances. Two things I would like to see him do is shoot the puck more and stop making "Brisebois type" pass in the defensive zone.

LesCanadiens 02-01-2008 03:28 AM

Obviously too early to tell....but, I sure like what I see from this kid. So far, he seems miles ahead of his bro at the same stage. More determination, character and hustle.

Good players don't use their teammates as an excuse for their play, they make them better. And this kid is making Lats and Laps better...they really compliment each other and the coach has great confidence in this line at the moment.

kernkraft 02-01-2008 03:39 AM

The setup he created for Gui tonight shows you what kind of player he's going to be. Reminds me a lot of a young Saku.

And remember guys, 200th overall in 2005, only 20 more players were drafted after him...

LesCanadiens 02-01-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernkraft (Post 12292783)
The setup he created for Gui tonight shows you what kind of player he's going to be. Reminds me a lot of a young Saku.

And remember guys, 200th overall in 2005, only 20 more players were drafted after him...

Me too....to complete the impersonation...he'll have to start exploding around the D down low. Before his knee injury, Koivu could go around a defensman almost at will...he's never regained that extra explosive step. Hopefully this kid will provide the same guts, character and will to win as Koivu has for us all these years.

Bermy 02-01-2008 05:36 AM

it's a good thing we drafted Andrei, because we probably only drafted Sergei because they were brothers imo

JrHockeyFan 02-01-2008 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bermy (Post 12292954)
it's a good thing we drafted Andrei, because we probably only drafted Sergei because they were brothers imo

The London Knights also made him their CHL import pick that same summer before the NHL draft. The winter before that he was with Belarus at the South Dakota WJC (the next WJC B pool he was player of the tournament). The first preseason game he played for the knight he had a multi point game and it was clear to a blind man he had talent. When I saw the Habs drafted him too I was doubly excited.

Was being Andrei's brother a factor? maybe. Was it the reason that the Habs drafted him.? I doubt that strongly.

Scouting this kid would show he had skills. It is not like he was under a rock.

Billy is the real deal.

BaseballCoach 02-01-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan (Post 12293032)
The London Knights also made him their CHL import pick that same summer before the NHL draft. The winter before that he was with Belarus at the South Dakota WJC (the next WJC B pool he was player of the tournament). The first preseason game he played for the knight he had a multi point game and it was clear to a blind man he had talent. When I saw the Habs drafted him too I was doubly excited.

Was being Andrei's brother a factor? maybe. Was it the reason that the Habs drafted him.? I doubt that strongly.

Scouting this kid would show he had skills. It is not like he was under a rock.

Billy is the real deal.

Trevor Timmins can't really pat himself on the back for this one, IMO.

By waiting until the 7th round before drafting him, he could easily have lost him to someone else. So the truth is that he was less impressed than we're saying now.

Bermy 02-01-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan (Post 12293032)
The London Knights also made him their CHL import pick that same summer before the NHL draft. The winter before that he was with Belarus at the South Dakota WJC (the next WJC B pool he was player of the tournament). The first preseason game he played for the knight he had a multi point game and it was clear to a blind man he had talent. When I saw the Habs drafted him too I was doubly excited.

Was being Andrei's brother a factor? maybe. Was it the reason that the Habs drafted him.? I doubt that strongly.

Scouting this kid would show he had skills. It is not like he was under a rock.

Billy is the real deal.

very good point. I'm just glad we have both Kostitsyns.

VGTvidz 02-01-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseballCoach (Post 12293050)
Trevor Timmins can't really pat himself on the back for this one, IMO.

By waiting until the 7th round before drafting him, he could easily have lost him to someone else. So the truth is that he was less impressed than we're saying now.

WRONG! Timmins was convinced he could be drafted a lot earlier during the draft but they managed to wait, I read something about it sometime ago. But Timmins thought SK could have been drafted during the 2nd round.

Agnostic 02-01-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseballCoach (Post 12292692)
You may have a point, and by the way former NHLer and father of Sam, Dave Gagner, said at the beginning of the year that Kosty Jr was the most complete of the three kids.

So far in the NHL, here are the three kids' stats. The conclusion is STUNNING.

Sam Gagner
50 gp @ 14:00 per game
4-17-21 -13

Siarhei Kastsitsyn
21 gp @ 13:38 per game
5-8-13 +3

Patrick Kane
51 gp @ 18:47 per game
12-33-45 -6


Normalized to 82 games @ 18:47 minutes each, we would see this:

Sam Gagner
9-37-46 -29

Siarhei Kastsitsyn
26-43-69 +16

Patrick Kane
19-55-74 -10


Now, remember this: Siarhei doesn't have a Jonathan Toews to play with. He has played mostly on the third line since he arrived. Yet his offensive contribution per minute played is very close to the highly praised Kane's, while his defense and his toughness surpasses both of his former linemates fairly easily.

Well done, Siarhei, it's exciting to watch you develop before our eyes!

Good stuff, but just wondering why you are eschewing the spelling of his name that appears on the Nhl.com, canadiens.com and the back of Kostitsyn's jersey.

My interest in this question is purely for selfish reasons, I find Sergei Kostitsyn rolls of my keyboard much easier than Siarhei Kastsitsyn does and I'm nothing if not lazy.

Evil Ted 02-01-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownman (Post 12292722)
He's an absolute pleasure to watch, with and without the puck. Like most elite players his head is on a smooth swivel, his positioning is superb.

Still can't believe the day is actually here that the bros are on the big club and producing. Never thought the hockey gods would let it happen.

Yeah that day came early eh?

He plays like a vetran, Im not worried when hes out there late in the game he contributes all game long scoring and playing good D.

I am worried though hes going to get a rep for being a dirty player with his hip checks, the refs seem to think they are knees.

Belso 02-01-2008 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseballCoach (Post 12292692)
Now, remember this: Siarhei doesn't have a Jonathan Toews to play with. He has played mostly on the third line since he arrived. Yet his offensive contribution per minute played is very close to the highly praised Kane's, while his defense and his toughness surpasses both of his former linemates fairly easily.

Well done, Siarhei, it's exciting to watch you develop before our eyes!

Your points were good but as far as I can remember, he's mostly played on Saku's line.

But I think you are right about him as a player. He's got everything you need in an impact player. He's not big, but he gives out big hits. He's smart, motivated, skilled and can skate..

He's kicked ass on every team since he's been drafted. I'm sure the other GM's are scratching their heads and asking themselves, "How did he get through the cracks?"

And he's only 20. I don't see why this guy couldn't easilly become a 70pts player when he knows the players more and has had a chance to gain more experience in the NHL.

Siarhei Kastsitsyn
21 gp @ 13:38 per game
5-8-13 +3

This is his record, right? 13:38min per game? As time goes by he will get way more ice time then that. And how much time does he get on the power play? I missed a lot of game this year because I don't have cable, but I have never seen him on the power play...

13/21 = 0.65 pts/game. 0.65 X 82 games is a little over 50pts. As you mentioned, that is with little ice time and I don't think he playes much onthe power play.. I could be wrong about that..

Whatever the case, he's playing great for a rookie and I don't see why he wouldn't continue to get better in the NHL as he gets older and more experienced...

:)

Watsatheo 02-01-2008 07:26 AM

I'll admit, I was skeptical at first. But in the end, this kid is a heck of a lot better than I expected. What a talent.

Ice Poutine 02-01-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Ted (Post 12293253)
I am worried though hes going to get a rep for being a dirty player with his hip checks, the refs seem to think they are knees.

The Refs can see that he's a classic hip checker and will not label him as a vicious player i think. We're not talking about a guy with no talent here, he doesnt have to goon it up. The Refs will see the difference im sure.

Belso 02-01-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 12293305)
The Refs can see that he's a classic hip checker and will not label him as a vicious player i think. We're not talking about a guy with no talent here, he doesnt have to goon it up. The Refs will see the difference im sure.

I agree. And if he starts to get into trouble with his hip checks, he's smart enought to adjust.. He's very good at positioning his body to give those hits. He's got good balance..

Habs 4 Life 02-01-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernkraft (Post 12292783)
The setup he created for Gui tonight shows you what kind of player he's going to be. Reminds me a lot of a young Saku.

And remember guys, 200th overall in 2005, only 20 more players were drafted after him...

Was going to post the same thing.What a beautiful pass.This kid as so much potential it's really scary

Goldthorpe 02-01-2008 08:31 AM

I too thought about the Sergei / Saku comparation. Glad to see I'm not alone to see this.

I think Saku in his prime was a much better skating, but Sergei shot is better (a shame he doesn't use it as much as he should).

Capitano 02-01-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 12293731)
I too thought about the Sergei / Saku comparation. Glad to see I'm not alone to see this.

I think Saku in his prime was a much better skating, but Sergei shot is better (a shame he doesn't use it as much as he should).

The chances will come...I think he's more concerned with playing 2-way hockey right now.

The kid is really smart, he knows what the coach wants and he's playing that way. I always notice that he fights hard at his own blue line to get the puck out at all cost - once he gets more comfortable, the goals will come imo.

mcphee 02-01-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 12293731)
I too thought about the Sergei / Saku comparation. Glad to see I'm not alone to see this.

I think Saku in his prime was a much better skating, but Sergei shot is better (a shame he doesn't use it as much as he should).

Mabe you're right, but I kind of agree with Les Canadiens, in that S. Kost.'s game seems based on being clever with the puck rather than explosiveness.

I'm not sure who would be a good comparison once he's fully developed, maybe someone like Whitney or Kozlov, with a mean streak ? I think as he matures physically, we'll see whether he can get to the net with the puck a bit.

Either way, he's going to be a veratile player, comfortable on either wing and on any line.

BaseballCoach 02-01-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGTvidz (Post 12293179)
WRONG! Timmins was convinced he could be drafted a lot earlier during the draft but they managed to wait, I read something about it sometime ago. But Timmins thought SK could have been drafted during the 2nd round.

If you're right, then

Gainey :shakehead



Also, 29 other GM's :shakehead

BaseballCoach 02-01-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl the habs fan (Post 12293232)
Good stuff, but just wondering why you are eschewing the spelling of his name that appears on the Nhl.com, canadiens.com and the back of Kostitsyn's jersey.

My interest in this question is purely for selfish reasons, I find Sergei Kostitsyn rolls of my keyboard much easier than Siarhei Kastsitsyn does and I'm nothing if not lazy.

Serge Cossette.


Or, in the vernacular,
Kostie, hostie!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.