HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Slapshot (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=473242)

Airborne Troll* 02-02-2008 09:33 PM

Slapshot

Hi

Im a good hockey street hockey player with awesome hands, awesome speed, decent wrist shot and a decent slap shot

what should I do in order to have a DEADLY slap shot?

Sensfanman 02-02-2008 10:22 PM

Best way? Get some ice or a shooting pad and just blast pucks until you get it. It's probably the only way outside of equipment or style change.

Heat McManus 02-02-2008 10:28 PM

One of the things a lot of people over look is making sure you use the ice to flex the stick. Hit the surface 2-3 inches behind the puck rather than trying to sweep the puck off the ice.

Other things to work on:
- weight transfer
- release speed. A hard slapshot is great, but if it takes you 10 seconds to wind-up then it's slightly pointless.

Bottom line though, practice, practice, practice.

Redwingsfan 02-03-2008 09:40 AM

practice!!!!

im a goalie and i have a pretty decent slap shot..

and it didnt take to much hard work...

Airborne Troll* 02-03-2008 10:54 AM

Which parts of my body should I train in order to have a deadly shot?

Redwingsfan 02-03-2008 11:31 AM

you dont have to be super strong to have a good shot... decent strength is enough..

a slapshot is more technique then anything....

Heat McManus 02-03-2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborne Man (Post 12324355)
Which parts of my body should I train in order to have a deadly shot?

legs, abs. Getting good twist and weight transfer from your legs and core helps. I have a really good slapshot with a pretty weak upper body.

hockeyfreak95* 02-03-2008 06:04 PM

become a street hockey player

lemieux32* 02-03-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 12320833)
One of the things a lot of people over look is making sure you use the ice to flex the stick. Hit the surface 2-3 inches behind the puck rather than trying to sweep the puck off the ice.

Actually that's false, hitting the puck cleanly makes for a better shot. The hardest shot competition at the All-Star game was an excellent example of this.

Airborne Troll* 02-03-2008 07:50 PM

Anybody has a video or pictures to help me learn how to do a weight tranfer?

Semper Sens 02-03-2008 08:53 PM

http://hockeyshot.com/shooting12_slap.htm

If you poke around there's also Lecavalier shot workout videos and articles on getting better shots

Airborne Troll* 02-03-2008 09:02 PM

thanks a lot

Diamond Joe 02-03-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieux32 (Post 12332446)
Actually that's false, hitting the puck cleanly makes for a better shot. The hardest shot competition at the All-Star game was an excellent example of this.

That statement in itself is false, it's all about feel. It's peanuts to compare Chara's shot to Pronger's when you're shooting that hard. All about feel, most of all keep your blade closed and follow through the shot.

Heat McManus 02-03-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieux32 (Post 12332446)

You mean the Skills Competition where most of the competitors hit the ice before the puck? Pick up any book on skills, any website and it will say you should hit the ice before the puck on a slapshot.

vexXed 02-03-2008 10:31 PM

Add to these the kind of blade you are using. It makes a noticable difference in shot power. I agree that technique is key with proper weight transfer. I also find that using a stick and/or gloves with grip prevents your bottom hand from sliding down while you take the shot, which lessens the power of the shot.

Heat McManus 02-03-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed;12335340[B
]Add to these the kind of blade you are using. It makes a noticable difference in shot power.[/B] I agree that technique is key with proper weight transfer. I also find that using a stick and/or gloves with grip prevents your bottom hand from sliding down while you take the shot, which lessens the power of the shot.

Great point. To expand a bit, a bigger curve cradles the puck as the stick bend, delaying the release point and giving a better whip to the shot. Of course, stickhandling and shooting on your backhand will be more difficult with a bigger curve.

RobertKron 02-04-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 12335957)
Great point. To expand a bit, a bigger curve cradles the puck as the stick bend, delaying the release point and giving a better whip to the shot. Of course, stickhandling and shooting on your backhand will be more difficult with a bigger curve.

I'd suggest that it's a better approach to get the technique down before really starting to worry about stuff like that, though.

Heat McManus 02-04-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MW (Post 12336193)
I'd suggest that it's a better approach to get the technique down before really starting to worry about stuff like that, though.

Absolutely, but it is a part of the equation.

Diamond Joe 02-04-2008 12:54 AM

Bigger curves also force the puck higher and 95% of the time you lose power as a result. A smaller curve will result generally in a lower shot and a having a more powerful shot.

vexXed 02-04-2008 01:24 AM

I notice that a lot of the 'pro' curves used by defensemen available by brands are a mid heel, open, and square toe. I tried this out using a 'Morrow' curve (I know he isn't a defenseman but his curve is typical of what D men in the NHL use) and man was my shot better. Problem was though that I couldn't stickhandle with it at all, so I ended up using a 'Sakic'. My shot was still good, and my stickhandling improved, but not well enough. Now I use a 'Datsuk' which is excellent for stickhandling but my shot power has gone down a notch. Still searching for the elusive 'perfect' curve!

Diamond Joe 02-04-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexXed (Post 12336671)
I notice that a lot of the 'pro' curves used by defensemen available by brands are a mid heel, open, and square toe. I tried this out using a 'Morrow' curve (I know he isn't a defenseman but his curve is typical of what D men in the NHL use) and man was my shot better. Problem was though that I couldn't stickhandle with it at all, so I ended up using a 'Sakic'. My shot was still good, and my stickhandling improved, but not well enough. Now I use a 'Datsuk' which is excellent for stickhandling but my shot power has gone down a notch. Still searching for the elusive 'perfect' curve!

That's true, I use a Forsberg (which is what a Modano was). I've used Sakic and Modano on and off and let me tell you it's hard to get used to the Forsberg after using Sakic for a while, you no longer have to keep your shots down but they're for sure more powerful, although with the Sakic you do get better handling (bc it's a big curve) and a mean wrister.

RangersAM99 02-04-2008 04:28 PM

if you want a good shot hit the weights man!!!!

RandV 02-04-2008 05:25 PM

Are you talking about a good slapsot in ice hockey or street hockey? I'd think it makes a difference between hitting a ball and a puck. Pucks are heavier and lower to the ground, so of course you want to hit the ice before the puck building tension and 'whipping' it, as has been mentioned. If you're playing ball hockey though I'd wonder if you aren't just as well off 'smacking' the ball, while only skimming the ground. A ball being lighter and taller your fastest follow through might do just as well as building tension in front of the ball?

Diamond Joe 02-04-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 12345873)
Are you talking about a good slapsot in ice hockey or street hockey? I'd think it makes a difference between hitting a ball and a puck. Pucks are heavier and lower to the ground, so of course you want to hit the ice before the puck building tension and 'whipping' it, as has been mentioned. If you're playing ball hockey though I'd wonder if you aren't just as well off 'smacking' the ball, while only skimming the ground. A ball being lighter and taller your fastest follow through might do just as well as building tension in front of the ball?

Actually works well in that you can use the whip of the stick in ball hockey too...but it will chew the crap out of your stick real fast.

Diamond Joe 02-04-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 12345873)

Actually works well in that you can use the whip of the stick in ball hockey too...but it will chew the crap out of your stick real fast.