HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   would you be interested in kovalev? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=47366)

KingPurpleDinosaur 01-27-2004 11:26 PM

would you be interested in kovalev?

he's $6.5 mil and UFA at the end of the year, but would u be itnerested in him? i think if he were to come cheap, i would definately not mind him being on our team. i even asked the rags wat would need ot be sent back, but their price is a bit high for a UFA at the end of the year, IMO.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...864#post769864

Legionnaire 01-28-2004 12:18 AM

Not at those prices

Old Hickory 01-28-2004 12:36 AM

Kovy's value shouldn't be that high. He is overpaid, is a UFA and not performing

punchy1 01-28-2004 02:29 AM

Even still. If he is available at say new market rates of $3.5 per. I would have to chew on it. He has had a bad little stretch of time and since his coming here will mean that he will be injured *and* that he will be taking the ice time that one of our ready youngsters won't be getting and also given the fact he is russian and that he isn't a grinder who is depth player, I would have to think about it.

Of course mate, in that perfect world line combo's of,

Frolov/stumbel/Kovy
Straka/Allison/Ziggy
Luc/Army/Klatt
Camms/Aulin/Barney
Lappy/Avery/Brown
Flinn/Norton/Brennen
*with alts of Sim/BackfromtheDeadmarsh/Chartrand/Tripp/ Hogeboom and a few others*

we would be a top flight contender for certain.

I might like to add him IF we are certain that there will be no Deadmarsh and only if we were certain that we could land him cheap and on a year with a team option type of deal which I don't see happening.

The VEGASKING 01-28-2004 03:04 PM

I was going to make something similar about Zhamnov but I'll just ask here instead. Chicago is not going to resign him and he will be traded before the deadline. For that reason you shouldnt have to give up much to get him. I think he'd be a good fit centering Ziggy next year assuming both were to be resigned and for Frolov for the rest of this year.

He has the reputation of being lazy but I havent heard much about that in the last year or two. Same type of player as Stumpel except more skilled. Resign him and allow Stumpel to walk.

kingbrath 01-28-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VEGASKING
Same type of player as Stumpel except more skilled. Resign him and allow Stumpel to walk.

Now that sounds like a good plan!
see ya Slumple

Legionnaire 01-28-2004 10:47 PM

If we let Stumpel walk, it's only going to be that much harder to re-sign Ziggy.

I Am Ziggy Palffy 01-28-2004 11:09 PM

zhamnov will be 34 by the time he gets to play a full season as a king...being as injury prone as he already is, i'd pass on him...especially considering half the league will be competing for his services...

KingPurpleDinosaur 02-13-2004 03:26 AM

kovalev rumors resurfacing. too bad kings doesnt look like they're in the running. but i think i would now give up miller for kovalev. man, it'd be a dream to get that guy

Face Wash 02-13-2004 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
If we let Stumpel walk, it's only going to be that much harder to re-sign Ziggy.

No it won't... Everyone makes such a big deal out of it. If the Kings want Ziggy back, they'll get him, no matter who's on the team.

They're not lovers for God' sake.... ..or, are they? :eek:

willie 02-13-2004 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
kovalev rumors resurfacing. too bad kings doesnt look like they're in the running. but i think i would now give up miller for kovalev. man, it'd be a dream to get that guy

No offense, but that deal makes no sense from LA's perspective. Our defense SUCKS as currently stands and you want to trade our #2 defenseman (who is locked up for a number of years) for a guy who will be gone in a couple months??? Sure Miller is injured but it still makes no logical sense whatsoever.

This team does NOT need offense. (not that that they couldn't use a forward or two but this team is only going to be able to beat teams 2-1 and they have enough for that type of hockey) They need defenseman. Desperately.

guzmania 02-13-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
They need defenseman. Desperately.

What he said. D-D-D. Not just any but someone who has a chance to play 4-5 years for the Kings. And it would be nice if it was 2 for 1 and those were mid level prospects to teams looking to cut salary from the east. Florida, Pittsburgh, Carolina and Washington come to mind. Although New York, Edmonton, and Chicago are possibilities. My Prefered offer is Cammilerri, Kuznetzhov, and this years 3rd for Gonchar.

kingbrath 02-13-2004 12:23 PM

We Need A Defensemen People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingPurpleDinosaur 02-13-2004 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
No offense, but that deal makes no sense from LA's perspective. Our defense SUCKS as currently stands and you want to trade our #2 defenseman (who is locked up for a number of years) for a guy who will be gone in a couple months??? Sure Miller is injured but it still makes no logical sense whatsoever.

This team does NOT need offense. (not that that they couldn't use a forward or two but this team is only going to be able to beat teams 2-1 and they have enough for that type of hockey) They need defenseman. Desperately.

ur absolutely right and i knew people would come at me with that argument, but there's reasoning behind all this. my grounds for the trade is the fact that miller has been out for nearly the whole damn season and im getting damn frustrated in us having a very good playing in the IR. Miller is an injured prone player and i think we need a player who isn't known for being on the IR all the time. wats the use in having a good player in the IR? lets trade him for something of value.

Miller has been with us for nearly 3 full seasons and he's only played 156 games for us. This year he's only played 20 games and is not looking like he's coming back. Now we need defenders, no doubt about that, but we've gotten along without him. i just want a player who will play for us instead of sit on the IR half the year.

punchy1 02-13-2004 01:26 PM

I just can't think of an asset or a position that we should offer (that they would actually accept) or he would fill.

No doubt he is a dandy. That said, he will be a ufa at the end of this season and the question bares out that is he the UFA we want to go after next year. If not, we shouldn't move a single asset to nab him. If he is, then the deal would be built around his signing a cheap contract long term with us. Then, it would be worth something but not much at this point. They would want decent return on him and we don't want to give any of our kids yet. IF there is a lock out that lasts most of next year, we are in a grand spot. Our kids (some great ones) are on the cusp. A half year of them moving from juniours and the NCAA to the AHL (I don't see them honoring the stoppage)a for a tune up and we might have the horses we need within already.

Ally is up after this season, right? I remember his being in option after this year (I could be daft again) and if so, I don't know if he is worth the gamble even if he is green carded by the docs. He is, at this point, an injury prone player. When healthy he is one of the top three centers in the game no doubt. I just have a bad feeling about the way he has handled his injury time and as such, wouldn't feel burned if he moved. I believe he would get us some nice compensation as he is under UFA (at this point) age and would be an RFA anyways.

No Allison. No Deader. Maybe, no Ziggy. (god help us). IF we are lucky enough to retain Ziggy and will have Straka then we are only short a true first line center. (Arguably) I reckon we can nab a cheap talented first line center as there are a few who will be up this off season. Lines of,

Straka/New/Ziggy
Frolov/Stumple(worst case)/Barney (or whoever can take his spot)

as our front lines look grand to me. I would like to replace Stumple and there are some lads to that with this season as said. If Army becomes our second line center I feel comfortable with that. He has proven his self capable of the spot. We need a speed center for the zig/strak line but, might have that in Camms, or who knows.

I wouldn't go after Kovy unless he were an absolute steal for us. Like a "future considerations" deal, and that won't happen.

no name 02-13-2004 08:48 PM

Kovy has started turning it on. I wouldnt dare trade away key pieces for a 6.5 dollar UFA.